What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The World According to Garp -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Much like fresh buds, popping on trees in the springtime, new Blu-ray releases from Sony and Warner Archive, are now expected to be gorgeous representations of the original films.

Warner's latest release, George Roy Hill's, The World According to Garp, is no exception.

Mr. Hill, who is probably best known for Butch Cassidy (1969), and The Sting (1973), directed fourteen films over a 25 year plus period, and each has it's own special characteristics.

It's nice to have more of his films available on Blu-ray. The recent release via Twilight Time of Henry Orient, and now Garp from Warner Archive are a nice addition.

The film is a telling of the John Irving novel, which I attempted to read when first published, and failed. Somehow, I think of it in the same terms John Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor, which for whatever reason, I was unable to finish. In the case of Sot-Weed, I may have been too young to understand the words. Or possibly it was the sheer weight of the book.

Garp will not be for everyone, as it's an odd-ball story, that meanders through Garp's very strange existence. But that is also a huge part of its charm

Will I be viewing the entire film, now that the new Blu-ray has arrived?

Absolutely. One of the high-points of the film is Glenn Close, in her screen debut, as Garp's rather odd mother.

Another is the quality of Warner Archive's new offering.

No need for details. It's perfect in every way.

If you're new to Garp, my suggestion is not to read reviews. Simply grab the disc, and dive in.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This film's iteration on DVD was the reason I stopped selling or getting rid of DVDs if I hadn't watched them in over a year. (My rule for managing my collection.) It marks the moment I became aware that normal (non-niche market) DVDs of what I thought were popular films started to go out of print. When I wanted to rent The World According to Garp more than a year later, I found I couldn't and quickly snapped up a copy on the secondary market, as the DVD had gone OOP.

Culling of my collection ceased then and there.

As for the film itself, I think I was too young when the film came out, but I always saw John Lithgow's character as one I really appreciated seeing on the screen, and he is remarkable in the role. It is a performance with a well-deserved Oscar nomination.

I am really looking forward to rewatching this film in 1080P!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I remember this film depressed the hell out of me when I was young but I'm sure I'd appreciate it a lot more now.

Interestingly, when we were filming MALLRATS in Minnesota, the deleted big opening scene set at "Monmouth State" was filmed over a three night period at a private high school outside of Minneapolis, and one of their alumni was none other than George Roy Hill. I remember they had a big plaque in the hallway for him.

Vincent

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
A wonderful review. Thank you to Mr. Harris. I just pre-ordered using the HTF link, based on his sterling recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks