What's new

Game of Thrones Season 5 home video (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In what is surely a sign of the times (and not a good one IMO), HBO is releasing Game of Thrones season 5 digitally next month (Aug. 31) but the DVDs and Blu-Rays will have to wait until March 15, 2016.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/30/game-thrones-season-5-dvd

The download will include bonus material, but it's not clear to me that the DVDs and blu-rays won't include more (since the box often includes more than they've listed).

I don't like this. Yet another studio manipulating the appeal of digital releases (have it now!) over physical media (wait 7 months!).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm frankly astounded that HBO is doing this. It would seem to torpedo their whole business model since it makes HBO content available to non-subscribers less than 3 months after the season finale aired. It's far enough after the original air date that it wouldn't have made much a dent in the piracy problem, but it's soon enough to disincentivize people from paying the subscriber fees for future seasons.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah for those without HBO and dying to catch up on the show, this will absolutely kill sales of the Blu Ray Set.
Somebody, somewhere is on a mission to eliminate physical media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks