What's new

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet July 31, 2015 Limited (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
One of the best 3D films of at least the modern 3D era is finally making it's way to the US, after being released world wide a couple of years ago, in a limited release.

IMDB synopsis:

A ten-year-old cartographer secretly leaves his family's ranch in Montana where he lives with his cowboy father and scientist mother and travels across the country aboard a freight train to receive an award at the Smithsonian Institute.

Ronald Epstein's 3D Addict review:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/333063-the-young-and-prodigious-ts-spivet-the-htf-3d-addict-review/page-1

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This must have come out this weekend.

I saw a review on Rogerebert.com

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It makes sense, since the film was already shown as was all over the world. It's not like Weinstein paid production costs for the film and is in a position to demand changes.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This article talks more about Harvey Weinstein's interference.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/jean-pierre-jeunets-ts-spivet-opens-with-no-warning-and-no-reviews-20150731

"In January, Jeunet screened the film, which is based on Reif Larsen's novel, for the International 3D and Advanced Imaging Society in Los Angeles, introducing it by saying, "If the film is not yet released in the U.S.A., it's only because Harvey Weinstein bought it, and of course Mr. Weinstein wants to re-edit it." He continued, "Luckily I have the final cut because I'm French and it's a French and Canada co-production. … But he put the pressure, for a question of power, to cut it. Maybe Harvey Weinstein won't ever release the film. It's just a question of power."

At his blog, Jeunet wrote, "Weinstein is like a gallery owner that says to a painter: 'Americans don’t like green, so I’ll ask the framer to use blue' … Weinstein is actually all about power. Like a dog marking a tree, he MUST change all the movies he buys." He explained further that Weinstein's dallying with the film caused to lose momentum in other countries as well, owing to to a clause in the contract that the film must be released in the U.S. first. That clause expired, Jeunet says, but " in some countries, like England or Spain, it was released in the middle of the World Cup. Flop.""

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks