What's new

New to zones (1 Viewer)

RACM

Auditioning
Real Name
R
Hello, I am finding very different answers to some "zone" questions I have online. I hope that if my questions have been answered here already, could someone please direct me to the right thread?

I am looking to use a A/V receiver as a main focal point for a home-wide audio and 1 room video set-up. I'm not sure how to explain my idea properly but here it goes. Ideally I would like my PC connected to a receiver via HDMI connected to a TV via HDMI. I would like to get audio and video from the PC to the TV.. In theory, for me, that sounds simple enough. Secondly i would like a satellite/cable box connected to the receiver via HDMI for A/V to the TV. These two parts would be in one room, hopefully with a 5.1 sound set-up. Third, i would like to have at least a speaker in a room throughout the house (kitchen, bathroom, ideally both), and also at least a speaker on my back patio outside. I would like to be able to watch the TV/cablebox in 5.1 and be able to listen to different audio from the PC in the other rooms/outside at the same time.

1- Is all of that possible with only 1 receiver and no other "amps" in the house?
2- The different zones outside of the "main room" would not have to play separate audio at the same time, but is it possible to pick and choose which speakers are on? Such as in the morning in a bathroom, daily in the kitchen, and nightly outdoors?

3- Are these connectivity questions instead of zone questions?

4- I understand the need for different speakers for indoors, outdoors and in wet areas (a bathroom) not specifically worried about exact speaker standards as yet.

5-Am i basically looking for a 4 zone receiver?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RACM said:
1- Is all of that possible with only 1 receiver and no other "amps" in the house?
That is the very reason multi-zone receivers exist.

2- The different zones outside of the "main room" would not have to play separate audio at the same time, but is it possible to pick and choose which speakers are on? Such as in the morning in a bathroom, daily in the kitchen, and nightly outdoors?
If you buy the correct stuff.

3- Are these connectivity questions instead of zone questions?
One in the same.

4- I understand the need for different speakers for indoors, outdoors and in wet areas (a bathroom) not specifically worried about exact speaker standards as yet.
5-Am i basically looking for a 4 zone receiver?
You only need a 2nd zone.
Any 7 channel AVR and an impedance matching speaker switch will work.

RACM

Auditioning
Real Name
R
Thanks schan, I appreciate the response. I did figure that but am glad to hear it from someone in the know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks