What's new

How much will I get for my iPhones? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What should I expect to get for an iPhone 5s in good to great condition from AT&T or Apple after release of the new phones?

I'll be buying new phones this fall. I figured we'd trade in our phones with AT&T -- they had better price than Apple and Gazelle was a good bit lower.

But my wife is considering gifting them to our teenage nieces. We need to estimate the phones' trade in value to figure how it fits in our gifts budget for them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I converted to iPhone 6s a few months ago and I've been wondering the same thing about our iPhone 4S's.

I've been wondering about whether to convert mine into some kind of extravagant iPod or sell it (if it's worth anything).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gazelle.com and done
I'm not going to use Gazelle (last year, AT&T gave more money and was easier), but assuming Gazelle, any idea of the price change from today (pre iPhone 6S) and three months from now (post iPhone 6S)? I'm trying to guesstimate future phone trade-in value for budgeting today :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can get reasonable prices on turn ins right up to the day the iPhone keynote is announced, like magic, like clockwork. As soon as the keynote is announced there is a gradual but steady drop in payment offerings.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
During upgrade cycles we kept our 3GS models to use as car iPods and I sold our 4s models to Gazelle. The wifi on my wife's 4s didn't even work (and I included a note with the phone saying so) and I still got $100 for it. I am planning to upgrade us to 6s models this fall and plan to sell our 5s phones to Gazelle.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FYI, why I recommend considering other options in addition to Gazelle:

iPhone 5s, 32GB, Carrier Unlocked.

AT&T: $150

Gazelle: $155

Apple: $200 (store credit)

I know Gazelle advertises on all the Podcasts and has a good reputation. But their prices aren't particularly impressive. But the calculus for me -- trading in two phones every two years when I'm buying new at a store -- could be different for someone regularly going through new gadgets.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And a little tip, perhaps well known: Storage space doesn't increase trade-in value. 32GB and 64GB iPhone 5S get same value from Apple, and only $5 difference from Gazelle.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
You might want to consider using swappa for if you are going to sell or want to estimate value. They seem to be the "go to" used cell market these days.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Reminder, if you intend to buy an iPhone on day 1 next month you should plan your Gazelle offer between now and the 31st. Assuming you are going to Gazelle and believe the phones will ship 22bd-30th

I got $260 for my 6+. As always you can get more in a private sale, but you can't get less hassle

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you want the most for your iPhone you should examine options other than Gazelle. Their rates have been lower than trade-ins with carriers, and other services.

Nothing wrong with Gazelle per se. They're easy. But they haven't paid particularly well in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks