What's new

NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm excited about the NFL playoffs particularly because the Pittsburgh Steelers are making their return after a three year absence.

Who is your favorite team and how do you think they will fare?

I'm a little concerned about the Jerome Bettis. I'm hoping that his five-week layoff won't hamper him too much. It might take a while to shake off the rust, but at least the Steelers have Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala and Amos Zeroue to fill in.

For Kris Brown, though, there is no back up and with the Steelers difficulty at times scoring a TD from the red zone, Brown needs to make the kicks.

KevinA

Agent
Seahawks... and we need a friggan miracle to even make it in the playoffs. Go Vikings on monday night!!!

Mark Lee

Second Unit
J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!!!! :D (though I fully expect their playoff run to end at 1 game -- hey, I'm a realist....) Vinny just ain't got much left in the tank anymore, and the greatness of Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet (did y'all see that catch in today's game?) notwithstanding, the Jets can't expect to go too far when Vinny forces it, like he was doing thru much of today. (And the Jets D, while much improved lately, definitely ain't no Ravens D, so the Trent Dilfer analogy doesn't really apply.)
Still, they're in, and that's a great thing for Herman Edwards, who I'd thought was just too damn nice a guy to survive as the Jets head coach. Whatever happens now, at least we can elevate his name above those of Pete Carroll, Rich Kotite....yeesh....

Jason P

Stunt Coordinator
I think there are only three real possiblities: Rams, Steelers, and Packers. The 49ers and the Pats look good as well but I don't think they quite have what it takes. If I was a betting man, I'd pick Rams, but I'm rooting for Green Bay.
However, if the Seahawks make it in I'm putting it all on Dilfer. The numbers don't lie. Here's to hoping that next year, he'll find a starting job. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Holy Crap another Seahawks fan on HTF. That's right Go Seahawks. I seriously think the Vikings are going to pull a major upset tommorrow on Monday Night Football. And I don't work so I can watch the whole thing :D .

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Go Jets.

Originally from NY, I'm primarily a Giants fan, but since they SUCK now and didn't even get in the freakin' playoffs, I root for the Jets (yep, I'm one of those who roots for all the teams in my city).

Mark, don't put too much blame on Vinny. The coach doesn't let him try to make the big plays when he can, so he ends up being too cold to make those conversions. Frankly, I don't like this coach. He plays too scared. He doesn't have a hungry, kill em' and grind em' into the ground attitude. If they're in the lead, the Jets freeze on offense and allow the game to come down to the close end when it doesn't need to. This is extremely annoying as a fan to watch.

Now that I'm in Boston, I also root for the Patriots. Ya gotta give them credit for this season. They look great, and don't y'all count them out. They're stiff competition for any team in the league now.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Raiders seem to have completely self-destructed. They've lost 4 out of the last 6 and don't look good on either side of the ball.
Here's the first week of playoffs:
AFC

NY Jets at Oakland
Baltimore at Miami
NFC
SF 49ers at Green Bay
Tampa Bay at Philadelphia
I'm thinking that the Raiders are going to be knocked out in their first game. They've totally come apart - their defense is really questionable and opponents' defenses have clamped down on their offense.
Going with a safe bet, I'll take St.Louis vs Pittsburgh.;)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Pats all the way! Till they get to Pittsburgh that is.:)
I think that the Pats are good enough to beat any team that they might face in the their first game. All of the AFC teams are beatable with the exception of the Steelers. Having the game at home will help the Pats considerably.
As much as I'd love to delude myself into thinking that they can beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh I just can't do it. The Pats have had trouble as of late stopping the run and between Bettis and that Muta#&$^@**$ or whatever his name is I don't think that we have a chance. I will say that Belichick is extremely good at confusing QB's (he destroyed Bledsoe when he was with the Jets and has done the same to Manning). Stewart should watch out.
It killed me to root for the Jets to beat the Raiders.:D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm not noticing many mentions of MY team!
eaglesbig.gif

:)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've been a Steeler fan since well before their first Super Bowl run in the '70's (my mother is from western PA). I'll be pulling for them.

Forgetting favorite teams, though, I'd place the Rams as the clear cut favorite in the NFC, as well as to win it all. I think only Green Bay and San Fran have a chance to beat them before the Super Bowl. The clock will strike midnight on the Bears, Tampa can't win in cold weather, and Philly has struggled all season, but benefitted from playing in the NFL's weakest division. Playing at home in a dome will be the Rams greatest advantage.

In the AFC, Pittsburgh looks like the solid choice. The Raiders have fallen apart, Miami is too inconsistent, Baltimore or Seattle will be the sixth seed (which has never made it to a Super Bowl), and the Jets have no chance. Only New England looks like competition for the Steelers, and their inexperience may get the best of them.

I'll say Rams over the Steelers in the big game.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm a NY/NJ fan also (except for the Rangers). The Jets win was exciting yesterday, and watching lil' Chucky pout is always fun. Go Jets! The Giants only bright spot was Strahan, and even that record seemed like a gift from his buddy Brett. :)
I am also, however, a Seahawks fan (don't ask me why) from way back in the Jim Zorn/Steve Leargent (sic?) days, so I'd really like to see Baltimore lose tonight.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Go LIONS!!! What do you mean??? The Lions didn't make the playoffs? Huh? But M&M came to town to take the Leo's to the BIG GAME... remember Marty told us "...the bar is high." Oh well, another disappointing season for the Detroit Lions.

My guess is St. Louis vs Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. I know, I know, I'm really going out on a limb with that pick. Lets hope that it is as good of a game as St. Louis vs Tennessee was!

Steve Owen

Second Unit
How 'bout them Pats, huh??? Who would have predicted they'd end up with the 2nd seed in the AFC and a first round bye? Waaa-hooo!!!

Most of the anouncers and analysists on the NFL shows seem to think that they might be the ones to watch. I'm pretty confident they can beat anyone in the AFC except for maybe Pittsburgh. And I'm sure the Steelers haven't yet forgotten the absolute beating they took at the hands of the Patriots back in the '96 seaason in the 2nd round AFC playoff game (the fog bowl).

If the Patriots do make it to the big game, the only NFC team that scares me is the Rams... but the good news is that the Patriots played them pretty tough (though lost) a month or so ago.

-Steve

PS... yesterday was the first and LAST time that I've ever cheered for the Jets. No worry though... they're gonna get smoked by the Raiders next week for sure.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
This might be the year that the Pats and the Eagles get to add to their proud Superbowl traditions. :D

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Go Pats!

Go Bears!

I'd love to see these two in the Super Bowl! Now only if the Titans were in the playoffs, life would be good.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm rooting for Green Bay from the NFC, but seriously think it will be the RAMS going to the big show.

AFC wise, the Steelers have a fine chance of making it. Of course, in any given game, any team can come out with the victory.

~Kurt

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Last years playoffs were extra special because CBS took the ball and gave us High Def. For an encore, the Super Bowl was High Def as well.

What a difference a year makes... At least ABC is going back to HD for MNF next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks