What's new

Burnt Offerings (1976) (Blu-Ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

101914_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Saw this film many times over in the theater back in the late 70s. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I don't know if I am going to pick it up at $30, but at some point.....I will.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Love this movie, also scared me as a kid. I have been waiting for you : )

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched Burnt Offerings for the first time in several years. Beautiful print. This is a superb, extremely creepy & atmospheric flick. This is one of the many excellent films from that era that proves that the '70's was the best decade for horror movies. Here's my review:

-The house was apparently an evil entity, and would "re-invent" itself every so often by "feeding" off of the souls of people that would temporarily inhabit the home - presumably by being "lured" into it.

This is why it destroyed itself & then re-created itself at the end, so it looked new. Also, this goes back to the beginning of the film - when the OR character commented on the pictures of the house through the decades/centuries?! (on the wall).

This is also connected to all of the dead/dying flowers in the beginning; these all get renewed by the end of the film.

-The house was apparently fixated on the young son, who nearly got seriously injured/killed numerous times throughout the film - I.e., by falling down in the beginning; by almost drowning twice in the pool; by almost dying because of the gas in his room.

-Presumably the Burgess Meredith character & his sister were much older than they looked; the cemetery OR & his son found in the back of the house didn't have evidence of any family members dying beyond the late 1880's.

- It's unclear whether there was actually an elderly mother living in the room upstairs; she was never seen, and the Karen Black character always said she was "sleeping" whenever anyone tried to see her. However, it's obvious that KB was being "groomed" to "take over" this "elderly mother" role - as was seen when she was confronted by OR at the very end. In any case, if there wasn't an "actual" person in the upstairs room, it's probable that there was some kind of evil "being" (even if it was just a ghostly one) that was in regular contact with the KB character - which is why she was always spending a lot of time in that room.

-Very impressed by the caliber of actors/actresses in this film, which included: Bette Davis, Oliver Reed, and Burgess Meredith. Incredible. These days, most A-list (or even B-list) actors/actresses wouldn't be caught dead starring in what was essentially a low-budget horror film.

- The creepy, grinning tall chauffeur that the Oliver Reed character saw as a kid (at his mother's funeral) obviously stayed with him as a horrible memory, so he kept "seeing" him driving around at the house, etc. Very unnerving.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jim,

Really glad you shared your thoughts on this film. It was one of my top 3 favorite horror films of the 70s.

I have fond memories of it. Seeing it several times over in theaters. It really creeped me out on several levels -- especially the chauffeur driver.

Not sure how it holds up today to new audiences. Don't even know how it holds up to those of us who saw it when originally releases. My Blu-ray is still in shrink-wrap and as with everything else, it's on my "someday" list to rewatch.

I am very happy to learn that the print looks good on BD.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
The softness in the film image is due to the way it was shot. The use of a filter to give it a hazy look is very apparent in many scenes.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The softness in the film image is due to the way it was shot. The use of a filter to give it a hazy look is very apparent in many scenes.
Correct. I saw this film when it first came out and the images were very soft focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks