What's new

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw the trailer before Ant Man. I've never seen the TV show, and have no expectations. The trailer was interesting with an unexpected flair. I'm looking forward to the movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks too generic t0 me.
I didn't feel "Man from Uncle"

Remeinded me of something I've seen before.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
Looks too generic t0 me.
I didn't feel "Man from Uncle"

Remeinded me of something I've seen before.

James Bond.....old style?

Still, I might take this in when it is released.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Basically, there has been very little "Summer Movie"-wise that interests me. Slow West has been the best release of the summer in my opinion. The two big spy films, Mission Impossible and this will both get me back in a theater this summer. I'm also really looking forward to Best of Enemies but that's a documentary and I doubt there would be much interest in that as summer fare.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Josh Dial said:
They changed the frakking helmets! Sorry, wrong thread.

Fracking?! Did they turn my favorite '60s secret agent show into an eco-thriller or something? :eek:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Getting shoved into the slot of "dead last movie of the sumnmer" shows how much faith Warner's has in their sole tentpole of the season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like a mish-mash of a whole bunch of other spy films including 80's James Bond, Austin Powers, and Kingsman. I'm not really familiar with the old TV series. Is there supposed to be anything unique about this character, that makes him stand out from any generic spy?

I also don't know about the casting. A Brit (Cavill) as an American spy, and an American (Hammer) as a Russian? Why doesn't the American play the American, and find an actual Russian actor to play the Russian?

But it may be worth passing a couple hours in a cool theater on a hot August day.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I ordered Sherlock Holmes a game of shadows on Amazon and it has a free ticket voucher for man from uncle. I'll see it. My expectations are low. I don't know the show at all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Malcolm R said:
I also don't know about the casting. A Brit (Cavill) as an American spy, and an American (Hammer) as a Russian? Why doesn't the American play the American, and find an actual Russian actor to play the Russian?
Because, acting? :)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The TV show has not held up well over the years, in my eyes. I loved it as a kid--I was all about secret agents--but every time I've watched an episode or one of the movie compilations as a grown-up, I've been very disappointed. Granted, I still haven't re-watched any of my favorite episodes from childhood, e.g. the ones with Jill Ireland and William Shatner, to cite two. I also remember liking "The Moonglow Affair," which was the pilot episode for "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." and featured Mary Ann Mobley in the lead role and Kevin McCarthy as the villain.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:

David McCallum wasn't a Russian either. At least Armie Hammer has some Russian lineage.

Hopefully they use Jerry Goldsmith's theme:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjmOkqU6Roo&feature=youtu.be&t=95[/media]

And hopefully Daniel Pemberton's score takes its cue from that same brassy sound.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mark Booth said:
With 50 reviews in, hiving around 70% at Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_man_from_uncle/

That's really not too bad, all things considered.

That said, I suspect the score will drop as more critics weigh in. But, somehow, I think the audience rating on this one is going to be in the high 70s.

I'm going to give it a chance.

Mark
I'm too busy this weekend but plan on seeing it next weekend. Looking forward to it!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hope to go early next week; can't make it this weekend.

I'm not so down on this summer's movies. I enjoyed what I saw, particularly Inside Out and Ant-Man. I also enjoyed Avengers, Jurassic World and Tomorrowland.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I use to watch the TV show in the 60's. Probably rent it when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks