What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 3-D Rarities -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

There have been numerous examples of someone taking bits and pieces, and attempting to create a cohesive, and worthwhile, DVD or Blu-ray experience.

Collections of trailers, shorts et al, with noble intents -- the great films of the 'xxs, usually culled together from used splicy trailers.

One of the most worthwhile, entertaining, and actually valuable, is via our friend Mr. Furmanek, and is in sync with his passion for everything 3-D.

3-D Rarities is a collection of the earliest experiments with the third dimension on motion picture film, going back to the early 1920s, with superb examples derived from 35mm sources.

Instructive films, tests, marketing shorts, and finally animated shorts, and trailers from the earliest natural vision productions, along with extracts and a myriad of valuable extras.

Before running the disc, I had concerns about how clean the images might be.  Would they have gone through digital cleaning?  The answer is "yes."

3-D Rarities, is a rarity in itself.  A Blu-ray release designed curated by people whose passion for the subject is obvious at every turn.

Kudos to Greenbriar Picture Shows, Mr. Furmanek, and to Flicker Alley, for supporting and giving a means to bring this important release to the public.

At once, both entertaining as well as instructive, 3-D Rarities is one of the most important releases of 2015.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Rather like a multi-hour visit to The Wide Screen Museum, 3-D Rarities is a college level course, hitting the subject with a bullseye from every possible angle.  Anyone with a desire to know more about the beginnings of 3-D for motion pictures, must own this disc.

Highly Recommended

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
3-D RARITIES will premiere in the UK on September 4 as part of an evening with Dr. Brian May at the Cambridge Film Festival. We are truly honored to have this wonderful opportunity!

http://www.film-news.co.uk/show-news.asp?H=The-Cambridge-Film-Festival-returns&nItemID=32515

2010-life-brian_may-3d_art_800x532.jpg

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
We really enjoyed it. I most liked the footage of the baseball players at the beginning and the Casper cartoon. The ending seemed abrupt, and we were all like, "It's over?"

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks but at 94 minutes, we didn't want to overstay our welcome. Always leave 'em wanting more!

What shorts got the best response? Was the audience reacting well?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I would say that the baseball clips and the building of that car in stop-motion got the best response. I heard some sighing as the one about the atom bomb seemed to drag on and on... The one western trailer elicited a lot of "huh"s from the audience as no one seemed to be familiar with it. "The Maze" looks like a dreadful movie!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Continuing congratulations to Bob, Greg, Jack, and all concerned on the excellent coverage of this release. It is well deserved -- and, even for all of us who have been waiting for wonderful vintage material, immensely gratifying. May more and more people take notice.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Chuck Pennington said:
"The Maze" looks like a dreadful movie!

The Maze is actually a very entertaining picture if you come to it in the right frame of mind and see it with a responsive crowd. I would love to have it on Blu-Ray.

Mind you, The Maze was made on a tight budget by a small studio with ambitions of growth. But the director, William Cameron Menzies, was a great visual stylist who seems to me to have been not only undaunted by the challenges of 3-D, but keen to explore a few of its aesthetic possibilities.

Without giving anything away-- and those who have seen the flick will know exactly what I'm talking about-- Richard Carlson really should have gotten a special Oscar for delivering his explanatory wrap-up speech there at the end. I wonder how many takes it took. :)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
This was available on Netflix a while ago, but has since been removed. Though there might have been some dubious moments, the picture's atomosphere and plot tension are on the nose. I purchased another region's disc and the transfer is horrible. Of course I would enjoy and adequate 2D version and would be willing to pay big bucks for the 3D.....if it ever happens...but of course I am not holding my breath : (

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Please take a moment to nominate the 3-D Film Archive restorations of these historically significant films for the National Film Registry. We have digital masters and want to output the files to 35mm polyester film stock for long-term preservation.

NEW DIMENSIONS - The first domestic full-color polarized 3-D film, it opened in May 1940 at the New York World's Fair. By time the Fair closed in October of that year, this landmark 3-D film had been seen by an estimated 4.5 million people. It has been restored from the original and rapidly deteriorating 35mm left/right dye-transfer Technicolor elements.

DOOM TOWN - The first (and only) Golden Age 3-D documentary. This historic film documenting the March 1953 atom bomb tests in Yucca Flats, Nevada was seen in just a few theaters and then withdrawn from release possibly for it's strong anti-nuclear message. It has been saved and restored from the original 35mm left/right negatives.

http://www.loc.gov/programs/national-film-preservation-board/film-registry/nominate/

The more requests for these additions to the Registry, the better chance we'll have. Thank you very much!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
The Maze is actually a very entertaining picture if you come to it in the right frame of mind and see it with a responsive crowd. I would love to have it on Blu-Ray.

Mind you, The Maze was made on a tight budget by a small studio with ambitions of growth. But the director, William Cameron Menzies, was a great visual stylist who seems to me to have been not only undaunted by the challenges of 3-D, but keen to explore a few of its aesthetic possibilities.

Without giving anything away-- and those who have seen the flick will know exactly what I'm talking about-- Richard Carlson really should have gotten a special Oscar for delivering his explanatory wrap-up speech there at the end. I wonder how many takes it took. :)

The Maze is being released on 3-D Blu-ray in Germany on December 1, 2016: https://www.amazon.de/Gefahr-Weltal...id=1479927729&sr=1-6&keywords=Richard+Carlson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks