What's new

Crawdaddy's "Recovery from Surgery" Film Viewing Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Due to my left leg being in a cast for the next 4-6 weeks, I now have the time to do nothing, but watch my stack of not-yet-viewed Blu-ray titles that's been piling up forever. This morning, I finally viewed the Ride the Pink Horse BD twice, with and without the Silver and Ursini audio commentary. This movie has always been one of my favorite film noirs. The star and director of the film is Robert Montgomery, (Elizabeth's father). Also, starring in it is Wanda Hendrix, Thomas Gomez and Art Smith. The Criterion BD is excellent! Never in my wildest dreams I thought it could look so good after being ignored for even a DVD release. This is a vastly unappreciated film that should be considered not only a great film noir, but an excellent movie. This Blu-ray gets my highest recommendation for those of us that loves to watch quality film-making at its best.

Next up from my not-yet-viewed stack is Hombre.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I love your film recommendations. I have discovered many outstanding titles through them.

If I can find this for under $20 I will purchase it blindly.

I will check my local Costco.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron, Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale is currently underway. Ride the Pink Horse is available for $19.99. Go grab a copy! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, know about the sale, but shipping would be extra. I'm spoiled by Amazon and Criterion.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I hear ya, but if you order two titles or more at $19.99 you're in free shipping territory. I ended up with this plus The Black Stallion, both of them blind buys for me.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really liked this film. Plays more into my wheelhouse (Big Heat, Demy's Bay of Angels, Diabolique, Rififi The Killers, etc) than some of the Collection

For those that might consider online orders, B&N have regularly had some online special discounts regularly for several weeks -- $5off50 or $10off75 around Tuesday or Wednesday -- if those come up I try to post them in the B&N thread in the deals forum. For those that aren't members, this is a nice discounts and gets you into Free Shipping simultaneously

I thought Criterion.com Fs was $50 and Non-Prime Amazon was $35, B&N is only $25.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hombre from Twilight Time has an excellent video presentation. The film never looked better as I can't remember how it looked in 1967, when I first viewed it during its theatrical run. I think it's one of the best westerns from the 1960's. Outstanding cinematography by the great Jame Wong Howe. Another Elmore Leonard novel adapted to screen with Martin Ritt directing and an impressive supporting cast with Diane Cilento, Fredric March, Richard Boone and Martin Balsam.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, this weekend I viewed the following blu-rays:

The Best of Everything (Twilight Time)

Sullivan's Travels (Criterion)

The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (Olive)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I can't think of a better upside to being stuck in a cast. Hombre is my favorite Newman film. I was a fan of the TV program Kung Fu growing up, and I see similarities in the two characters.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
Hombre from Twilight Time has an excellent video presentation. The film never looked better as I can't remember how it looked in 1967, when I first viewed it during its theatrical run. I think it's one of the best westerns from the 1960's. Outstanding cinematography by the great Jame Wong Howe. Another Elmore Leonard novel adapted to screen with Martin Ritt directing and an impressive supporting cast with Diane Cilento, Fredric March, Richard Boone and Martin Balsam.

Have it. Been meaning to get to it.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
Ride the Pink Horse has long been a favorite of mine. I am an obsessive collector of film noir and for years my copy of Ride was a DVD-R copy of a VHS recording from American Movie Classics (from the days it actually showed American movie classics). The Criterion edition is a revelation in terms of its clarity and crispness; it reveals the studio scenes, of course, but it also shows the great flavor of the location scenes, all that marvelous detail in the crowds on the streets. It is one of the great rural noirs, transposing the conventions to a southwest border town, and seeing Robert Montgomery play the thick, street smart urban thug trying to figure out the culture of the dusty streets and Mexican-American population of the desert town is one of my great noir pleasures.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sounds like a great time to catch up on some Jarmusch.

I'm currently on a Vikander(bought Hotell from an AU seller, no idea when it will arrive) and Amy Ferguson kick.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Sounds like a great time to catch up on some Jarmusch.

I'm currently on a Vikander(bought Hotell from an AU seller, no idea when it will arrive) and Amy Ferguson kick.
Not my cup of tea.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before I was on my Vikander/Ferguson kick...

I watched (what I could find) of Inday Ba, Oksana Akinshina(Lilya 4-ever), Martine Gedeck and Indira Varma.

Amazing what you find beyond "Earl Grey, hot",

But yeah...found many "not in my wheelhouse" either...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Good healing to you, Crawdaddy! I don't envy the cast, but I envy the fine movie watching you'll be getting done.

clambake

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jamie
Robert, Charles hit on what I was thinking - Sorry to hear about your leg, but at least you can get some movie viewing time in.

Robert Crawford said:
Sullivan's Travels (Criterion)
Veronica :thumbs-up-smiley:

Robert Crawford said:
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (Olive)
Ella :thumbs-up-smiley:

Excellent choices sir!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
clambake said:
Robert, Charles hit on what I was thinking - Sorry to hear about your leg, but at least you can get some movie viewing time in.

Veronica :thumbs-up-smiley:

Ella :thumbs-up-smiley:

Excellent choices sir!
I've had a crush on Ella Raines ever since I first saw her in Tall in the Saddle with John Wayne more than 50 years ago. :) Love me some Veronica too with my favorite films being the ones she starred with Alan Ladd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks