What's new

At my wits end.... (1 Viewer)

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
hi guys
I am so frustrated with something I can't figure out so I thought I would ask the experts!

I have a Samsung ES8000 TV, Samsung HT5500 surround, PS4 amd a Drx890w sky box (UK)

All was working fine until I replaced the sky box.

I had an optical splitter with the PS4 and Sky box into that and the output of the splitter going to the surround sound.

All was working fine. But now I have swapped all over I am only getting 2.1 sound instead of 5.1.

All speakers are working on test mode. But only the front two speaker and sub are working.
It's driving me insane. Has anyone got any ideas or tips please?
Thanks guys!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Davis: Is the Sky box in your system now the same box that you replaced?

I'm no expert--they'll be right behind me--but I'll take a stab that if the boxes are the same model that there must be an "audio out" setting in your menu that you might need to tweak.

Welcome to the HTF! We'll get things sorted out for ya! :welcome:

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thank you mate.
No the sky box is different.
I replaced an old Thompson one with a newer DRX890w.

The new one is HDMI-CEC compatible the old one isn't. But it doesn't make a difference if I turn off the HDMI control.
I'm at my wits end.
Also it's not because the broadcast isn't DD 5.1, I've made sure they are.

Any help is appreciated hugely mate.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still treading water while I wait for the cavalry to arrive.

Have you gone into the menu as shown on Page 90 of this manual?

it looks like maybe your optical out setting might be switchable between stereo and DD 5.1.

I know I've been given cable boxes that have not been re-set to factory defaults after they've been returned and refurbished.

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Cheers fella. Tried that though.
All is set to Dolby D.
Just won't output to the other 3 speakers for some reason. Appreciate the replies though pal.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dammit. I thought I had it. Especially since they make it clear that you specifically HAVE to change the settings for DD5.1 (which is weird. You'd think that WOULD be the default.).

Well, there are guys where who know a heckuva lot more about this stuff than I do. Hopefully, one of them will be along shortly.

gallery_286742_34_116927.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's always the chance you got a bad box (was it new out of the box?).

Again, with my local cable providers they recycle so many of their boxes and HDDs that it is quite possible to get equipment that has built-in issues.

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Nah. Don't think so mate as my PS4 is also coming out in 2.1 whereas before it was 5.1.
Seems as though I've completely messed up the set up and can't see where.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Are you absolutely certain that the HT system wasn't set to use DPL for the digital input?

One page 61 of the manual, in the troubleshooting section, there is an item for "Sound not coming from all speakers" and one of the comments there specifies that "When listening to a CD, radio or TV, sound is output to the front speakers only".

Granted, that does not distinguish between the analog and digital inputs, but that got me thinking that maybe DPL was previously being used and you maybe didn't realize it?

You mentioned disabling CEC, but did you try turning HDMI audio off, too? The manual states that HDMI audio is automatically downmixed to 2.0. This SHOULD happen only just before audio is output from the system, but perhaps internally something oddball is happening and the incoming audio is downmixed first if it's going to be output to the TV.

Really strange, I admit. My first thought was along the lines of Mike's thinking - a setting in the Sky box causing the problem...

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
No Mike I haven't. I will do tomorrow though fella. It's getting late here in London and I'm off to bed after few beers.
Thanks though pal. Big props.

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Jason Charlton said:
Are you absolutely certain that the HT system wasn't set to use DPL for the digital input?

One page 61 of the manual, in the troubleshooting section, there is an item for "Sound not coming from all speakers" and one of the comments there specifies that "When listening to a CD, radio or TV, sound is output to the front speakers only".

Granted, that does not distinguish between the analog and digital inputs, but that got me thinking that maybe DPL was previously being used and you maybe didn't realize it?

You mentioned disabling CEC, but did you try turning HDMI audio off, too? The manual states that HDMI audio is automatically downmixed to 2.0. This SHOULD happen only just before audio is output from the system, but perhaps internally something oddball is happening and the incoming audio is downmixed first if it's going to be output to the TV.

Really strange, I admit. My first thought was along the lines of Mike's thinking - a setting in the Sky box causing the problem...
Thanks JC, unsure by a couple of your terms but will check it out tomorrow morning pal, hugely appreciate your reply though mate.
I'm sure it's a bit of user error but I always thought I was proper clued up with it all, clearly mistaken.

Thanks though chaps, I'll be sure to try your suggestions tomorrow morning and report back.
Big thanks to all.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Dolby ProLogic. It takes a stereo source and creates a pseudo-surround mix. It can be quite effective, but not the same as true digital 5.1 audio.

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Sorted it this morning guys. The TV wasn't set to DolbYd so I'm guessing it's a two way thing over hdmi. I assumed it was only needed from the SS system but lo and behold it's sorted. Sorry for Getting it wrong and thanks for the ideas people, have a good weekend.

Chopchop16

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Take care Mike. Quality mate.
Names David by the way, I think it was a typo on my iPad when I registered. Big props though mate. You're a gentleman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks