What's new

International A Countess From Hong Kong (1967) blu ray from Italy (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just got my Italian blu ray of Chaplin's swan song A Countess From Hong Kong (1967) and all I can say is ..... wow! It's gorgeous! I don't know if Universal has plans to release a blu in the near future in the U.S. but if you're a fan of Chaplin, Brando, Loren or in my case Tippi Hedren, rest assured you're getting a superior product.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's from Italy, not Spain, and is pressed. It's definitely not a boot and licensed from Universal (there's even a Universal copyright on the back).

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I concur, it's a legit Universal Transfer. The disc is bare bones and the 35mm element they used was not gussied up but it's in excellent condition and the encode is very faithful to a good quality Vault 35mm 60s Tech print. Very good color timing, grading, nice black levels and grain. I did give it a recommendation here a while back (month or so) but I can't find my own post (obviously in the wrong place, maybe the US Criterion Limelight disc thread?

I also love the movie although it's not at the top of many people's Chaplin list.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I hadn't seen it for many years until I watched the DVD recently. I enjoyed it. A comedy may not be your go-to for a Brando film, but that is what I thought was the funniest bit - Brando in those Chaplin contrived situations. Chaplin's little on-screen bits were also laugh out loud moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks