What's new

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Annex - Marx Brothers_14.jpg

Many thanks to HTF member, Moovtune (James) for providing this information:

Universal posted their Q2 report today. You may be interested in some of the on-going projects.

• Mastering & Restoration
- Completed 4k feature restoration project: Spartacus
- Continued to work on the 4k restorations of: “Animal Crackers”, “Cocoanuts”, “Duck Soup”, “Horse Feathers”, “Monkey Business”, My Man Godfrey” and “Shanghai Express”. These will be completed in Q3
- Began 4k restoration work on “Ghost of Frankenstein”, “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman”, “House of Dracula”, “House of Frankenstein”, “Son of Frankenstein” and “The King of Jazz”. These will be completed in Q4
- Began 4k restoration work on silent features: “Last Warning”, “Oh Doctor” and “Outside the Law”. These will be completed near the end of 2015
- Began film element research and scan tests for the 4k restoration of “One Eyed Jacks”, Marlon Brando’s only directorial effort. This work is being partially funded by the Film Foundation
- Completed standard (non-restoration) feature re-mastering work on “Phantom Lady”. Also began standard re-mastering work on “Something for a Lonely Man”, “Winchester ‘73”, “Desperado Outlaw Wars” and “Desperado Badlands Justice”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We have been BEGGING Universal for a Marx Brothers Blu-ray collection for years.

I knew the elements were in bad shape. Looks like Universal took their time with this and we may see an exceptional release of their very best films.

I really don't like anything made after their Universal period. That includes A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. Still pale to to Horsefeathers, Duck Soup and Monkey Business. Those three films are the crown jewels of the Marx Brothers' movie career.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dick, I am not saying anything that all of us already know...

Universal has been the absolute worst studio when it comes to their releases.

They have been steadily improving over the past three years or more, but now, I think they are starting to really excel.

Bravo to them! It's about time!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This is great news as it gives us many titles to look forward to rather than just a press release of imminent releases.

I am particularly interested in the Monster titles, Marx Bros, and Phantom Lady.

A restored One Eyed Jacks (the last VistaVision film) will be an entirely new experience.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keith Cobby said:
I wish Warners would give us this info on the titles they are working on.

Keith,

Something tells me that was information not meant to go out wide.

Generally speaking, all studios keep release information tightly to their chest.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
All of Universal's pending announcements for catalog coming to us starting in Q3 and beyond have been impressive. Yes, it finally looks as though we'll be getting some very good stuff coming down the pipeline. Wait and see - and hopefully, be VERY impressed!

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Yay for Marx Bros, My Man Godfrey, etc., but did anyone notice they're beginning work on One-Eyed Jacks??? I never thought I'd see that day come. Woo hoo!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
All very good news. There was a post a while back where Robert Harris hinted that things were happening at Universal...& they are!

...& One-Eyed Jacks! Never say never.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Ron, just to be clear - a 4K restoration doesn't necessarily mean a blu-ray release is coming. That isn't mentioned in the Q2 report.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Excellent news. I was very impressed with their work on Dracula, especially with the audio. A lot of the problems with the Marx Bros films have been the poor quality of the soundtracks, so I'm hoping for good results here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks