What's new

The return of Bloom County? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
After all, Bill Watterson did come back to draw a few Pearls Before Swine strips......

pbs1.gif

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Meh. That ship sailed a long time ago. For me, it lost its appeal near the end of its original run and I hated Outland so I can't be bothered to take much of an interest in this version.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know what to think about this. Bloom County was a significant piece of pop culture in my life. I was in high school. My two best friends and I read it avidly, referenced it, and made it part of our life. It also shaped my understanding and views of the Reagan-era politics of the time. As an adult, it's cultural touchstone for me. (I'm a Boinger and You Stink are in my iTunes library and still get occasional play.)

Frankly, I'm skeptical. If a comic writer is bereft of new or compelling ideas for 25 years, what hope is there that a resurrection save for cashing in on nostalgic, middle-aged men?

Or maybe this re-redux will be every bit as amazing as it was in the '80s. But then, I may no longer be the boy I was 25 years ago, to enjoy it in that half-insane way high-school boys enjoy things with their friends.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
DaveF said:
I don't know what to think about this. Bloom County was a significant piece of pop culture in my life. I was in high school. My two best friends and I read it avidly, referenced it, and made it part of our life. It also shaped my understanding and views of the Reagan-era politics of the time. As an adult, it's cultural touchstone for me. (I'm a Boinger and You Stink are in my iTunes library and still get occasional play.)

Frankly, I'm skeptical. If a comic writer is bereft of new or compelling ideas for 25 years, what hope is there that a resurrection save for cashing in on nostalgic, middle-aged men?

Or maybe this re-redux will be every bit as amazing as it was in the '80s. But then, I may no longer be the boy I was 25 years ago, to enjoy it in that half-insane way high-school boys enjoy things with their friends.
We must be about the same age because my Bloom County experience closely parallels yours. as I said, I never liked the Sunday only strips and I'm not the person I was back in the 80's. I guess I outgrew BB's schtick and just am not taken with the idea of rebooting Bloom County yet again. One too many trips to the well for me!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Is this facebook only? Cause Facebook is fing stupid and doesn't you know, consistently show you shit you want to see.

Not that I fully understand your post, Sam...but I don't understand much about FB...but this is from the link in the OP:

Mr. Breathed hasn't said if the strip will run in papers, so for now you'll have to check out his Facebook page to get your fix.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So Facebook only shows you a small percentage of what woul be in your complete stream, unlike Twitter which show you everything. So you could go a week without seeing Opus in your stream unless you choose to navigate to BBs page every day. It's colossally stupid.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Appreciate that explanation.

I'm sure you're amazed that there are people who don't understand those nuances...but there are! :biggrin:

Not having an active presence on FB, I'm under the impression that's where the whole world is posting...except for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So Facebook only shows you a small percentage of what woul be in your complete stream, unlike Twitter which show you everything. So you could go a week without seeing Opus in your stream unless you choose to navigate to BBs page every day. It's colossally stupid.
Or, you know, go to his Facebook page to see it.

Vice Twitter where you have to be watching your stream at the magic moment, or the post is lost in the stream of inanity. You can then scroll and scroll and scroll to find it.

The right solution is for him to post to a website where it can be found. Like every other web comic. And then promote to FB and Twitter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
Or, you know, go to his Facebook page to see it.

Vice Twitter where you have to be watching your stream at the magic moment, or the post is lost in the stream of inanity. You can then scroll and scroll and scroll to find it.

The right solution is for him to post to a website where it can be found. Like every other web comic. And then promote to FB and Twitter.

First part: That's what I said. You have to go to BBs page each day to see it. I think facebook allows you to 'follow' with their new rules but I really don't know. It's confusing and ever changing.

Second part: This is why Twitter has Lists. Nothing is ephemeral, it's all always there. If you have a small subset of posters you want to always see all posts from simply make a list of them and click on it once a day or so. Boom. Nothing is lost in the sands of time, but most people use it as a way to check the pulse of what is currently of interest, which is useful. Trying to capture the whole fire hose is a losing proposition.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I 'Liked' his page (BB's), and the strip has shown up every day in MY feed (along with all my other posts)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I haven't yet looked for it on Facebook. And I'm glad he chose Facebook to Twitter. Facebook I understand. Twitter, I don't. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks