What's new

Shout Factory! at Comic Con - TV Show On DVD Announcements? (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Just curious if anyone went to Comic Con (San Diego) to hear the panel discussions for Shout Factory! Were there any upcoming T.V. shows on DVD announcements? If so, please let us know (for those who could not attend) Thank you.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
The only annoucement that I'm aware of are the movies to be included in the next set of MST3K episodes: "War of the Collosal Beast", "Viking Women vs. the Sea Serpent", "The Undead" and "The She-Creature".

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Those complete series sets cost a lot of money to produce. They were prestige products made to say, "There! You have The Facts of Life. And Maude. And The Jeffersons. And WKRP. And Pee-Wee's Playhouse. And The Bob Newhart Show.* And so on." Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did them, but that's just SO much to collect in such a short time. Single-disc movie releases and music seem to be the things keeping them afloat financially.

*But why didn't they do Newhart this way, too?

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Thank you potnoodle!! I was hoping Shout Factory! might have announced more "complete" series sets for the holiday season (which they could still be announcing later). But like Matthew A stated "those complete series cost a lot of money to produce". There are still a few holy grail shows I was hoping the Shout would get the rights to ("The Drew Carey Show", which marks it's 20th anniversary this year, "Knots Landing", and "One Day At A Time" (one of the last of the Norman Lear shows yet to have a "complete series" set.) Maybe Shout Factory! is holding off for awhile since they released so many last year? Or it's just simply too early yet for announcements on holiday releases? Or, lastly (and very reluctant to say this), but maybe the predictions of "physical media" is really starting to die? Time will only tell.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Still don't see how it would happen. The infrastructure for HD (or even NTSC) streaming doesn't exist in large chunks of the country. I can see where certain folks -- the ones we delicately call "alternative sources -- would love it, because their market would grow exponentially. They'd just stream, record, burn and sell, and don't think any copy protection wouldn't be soon cracked. Too much money to be made. Do you really see the studios leaving all that money on the table for "alternate sources" to scoop up? I don't.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Still don't see how it would happen. The infrastructure for HD (or even NTSC) streaming doesn't exist in large chunks of the country. I can see where certain folks -- the ones we delicately call "alternative sources -- would love it, because their market would grow exponentially. They'd just stream, record, burn and sell, and don't think any copy protection wouldn't be soon cracked. Too much money to be made. Do you really see the studios leaving all that money on the table for "alternate sources" to scoop up? I don't.
I agree with you Rick......I just keep seeing and hearing (on this forum and elsewhere) that "physical media" is dying. Trust me, I much prefer DVDs/Blu-Rays to streaming. But even Shout Factory is coming out with a streaming type of service I read somewhere (I think it was either here on the forum or Shout's own website). So that's why I asked the question.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
mrz7 said:
I agree with you Rick......I just keep seeing and hearing (on this forum and elsewhere) that "physical media" is dying. Trust me, I much prefer DVDs/Blu-Rays to streaming. But even Shout Factory is coming out with a streaming type of service I read somewhere (I think it was either here on the forum or Shout's own website). So that's why I asked the question.
Arent we looking at two different markets? Streaming is rental and these box sets are for purchases. Two different beasts. With many of these streaming services purging their classic TV lately https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/the-netflix-classics-massacre-of-2015/#comment-8000 and Shouts streaming service barely showing up as a blip in the streaming eco system there is definitely a need for physical media or a bigger push for Electronic Sell Thru thru things like Vidity https://www.vidity.com/ .

With physical media still in 2015 selling in the 6 to 8 billion range and electroinic sell thru reaching $2 billion alone there is a market for purchased media. That I will continue to support.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
mrz7 said:
IIRC, that's called Shout! Factory TV (I saw an ad for it at the top of the final-season Hart to Hart release).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
They also announced Automan in the same Tweet as Manimal. Both shows have been on DVD in the UK for quite some time now, but I'm so glad I waited for what I hoped would be an eventual NTSC release of Automan. Until today, if the UK price had dropped just a tiny bit lower, I'd have caved and bought the PAL set. Glad I was patient (stingy) enough!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
bmasters9 said:
IIRC, that's called Shout! Factory TV (I saw an ad for it at the top of the final-season Hart to Hart release).
shoutfactorytv is a free streaming site - think they use Hulu. There's no charge. It's a great way to get a sample of the stuff that you can get on DVD and Blu-ray from Shout.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Corey3rd said:
shoutfactorytv is a free streaming site - think they use Hulu. There's no charge. It's a great way to get a sample of the stuff that you can get on DVD and Blu-ray from Shout.

I've used ShoutFactoryTV before on my Roku device, though I'm pretty sure I used a stand-alone app rather than using it through Hulu. Think the Shout Factory 'freebie' content has more commercials than standard Hulu Plus content, though, and you can only sample a small handful of episodes from each show (I think there were 3-4 episodes of The Saint available to watch, for instance).

Also a limited range of series available, so don't expect there to be free samples of every TV show in their library.

Certainly good enough for someone to sample whether a particular show is to their taste or not.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
AndyMcKinney said:
They also announced Automan in the same Tweet as Manimal. Both shows have been on DVD in the UK for quite some time now, but I'm so glad I waited for what I hoped would be an eventual NTSC release of Automan. Until today, if the UK price had dropped just a tiny bit lower, I'd have caved and bought the PAL set. Glad I was patient (stingy) enough!

If this is another case of Fabulous Films producing the sets and Shout! Factory just distributing them, you may run into the same PAL speed up issue that happened with the US release of Tales of the Gold Monkey.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
TV_Fan said:
If this is another case of Fabulous Films producing the sets and Shout! Factory just distributing them, you may run into the same PAL speed up issue that happened with the US release of Tales of the Gold Monkey.

I hadn't heard about this. So, did Shout take the cheap way out and just do a standards conversion of Fab Films' PAL masters? If so, are we certain that the UK release was sped-up? If they were working from film elements, then yes, it would have been, but if FF were working from tape masters, then their stuff may have been the correct speed anyway.

I guess I'll definitely have to hold out for a review or two to come in. No way would I buy the Shout! version if it's simply a PAL to NTSC transfer. I might as well buy the R2 if that's all it's going to be.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
AndyMcKinney said:
I hadn't heard about this. So, did Shout take the cheap way out and just do a standards conversion of Fab Films' PAL masters? If so, are we certain that the UK release was sped-up? If they were working from film elements, then yes, it would have been, but if FF were working from tape masters, then their stuff may have been the correct speed anyway.

I guess I'll definitely have to hold out for a review or two to come in. No way would I buy the Shout! version if it's simply a PAL to NTSC transfer. I might as well buy the R2 if that's all it's going to be.
This wasn't Shouts fault as they didn't produce the sets. They just distributed them for Fabulous Films. Fabulous Films just did an ntsc conversion from their Pal elements they were using if I remember correctly.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
TV_Fan said:
This wasn't Shouts fault as they didn't produce the sets. They just distributed them for Fabulous Films. Fabulous Films just did an ntsc conversion from their Pal elements they were using if I remember correctly.

Well, I hope Shout! (or Fab) learned from that mistake. if the films were being transferred to PAL, if there was any chance at all of a US distribution deal for these other shows, it should have been a no-brainer to do a film-to-NTSC transfer at the same time.

If only one transfer could be afforded, then it would've been far better to do only film-to-NTSC. That way, the correct audio speed would be preserved for the PAL market, too, as you only get speed-up when transferring film. You don't get that if standards-converting videotape.

The difference in visual resolution (PAL vs NTSC, leaving HD totally out of the equation) to me is less important than the proper speed of the soundtrack. You're only talking an extra 60 or so lines of resolution.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I was VERY disappointed in the U.S. release of Tales of The Gold Monkey. I meantioned the PAL speed up on the old Shout Factory forum, Brian Ward responded saying the actors were younger then, so their voices are a different pitch!?!

Now Street Hawk was distributed the same way here in the states and it was fine. However, on the stand alone release of the Airwolf pilot known as Airwolf The Movie the dreaded speed up returned.

Both Gold Monkey and Airwolf have a fantastic score that was ruined in those stateside releases.

I caved last year and bought Automan, IF the U.S. release has the correct pitch I'll buy both Automan and Manimal.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was VERY disappointed in the U.S. release of Tales of The Gold Monkey. I meantioned the PAL speed up on the old Shout Factory forum, Brian Ward responded saying the actors were younger then, so their voices are a different pitch!?!
Yep, that sounds like a typical Brian Ward excuse. Right along with the defense about the botched encode on AITF S7 and the insistence for years that Shout had the rights to do all eight years of Ironside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks