What's new

I've figured it (CBS) out I think (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
CBS=Constantly Being Stalled!!! So many quality shows that should've been out years ago they keep stalling out. My Three Sons, The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and others they've stalled out. If they would quit with their stupid music replacement and stupid release schedule of going years between releases, they might somewhere! Maybe VEI or Shout! will decide to pick up some of their stalled properties.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Carabimero said:
I'm not sure it's a question of being stalled; I think they are transitioning out of the disc-based home entertainment business.
Perhaps, but it seems to me that the biggest audience for those older shows are the ones that still buy DVDs and are the least likely to embrace streaming.

I was hoping that the Wal-Mart releases of BH and PJ last year were a positive step towards getting the other seasons released. Every store in my area appeared sold out of both titles in a matter of days. The Rifleman sets have also been disappearing from the shelves fairly quickly around here.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
CBS also usually means some of the best quality prints of all the releases. If VEI or Shout got these we would lose that. Just check out the complaints with Bonanza season 2, Rawhide seasons 1 and 4, and all the Cannon releases. It is harder to not notice the quality differences when season releases within the same show have such variation. This isn't all that dissimilar to the Real McCoys thread. Ron, in that thread you won't buy Real McCoys in edited form as long as you feel there could be a chance of getting unedited releases by someone else at sometime. In this case, I don't want these to go to Shout! or VEI until all possible options have been exhausted by CBS. I'll know that when/if they actually get licensed out, but until then I won't wish for it to happen. Just a difference in personal priorities I suppose.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mr. Handley said:
Perhaps, but it seems to me that the biggest audience for those older shows are the ones that still buy DVDs and are the least likely to embrace streaming.

I was hoping that the Wal-Mart releases of BH and PJ last year were a positive step towards getting the other seasons released. Every store in my area appeared sold out of both titles in a matter of days. The Rifleman sets have also been disappearing from the shelves fairly quickly around here.
It's been two years actually-2013. I had trouble finding TBH on the very day of release here locally, even going to two different Wal-Marts. I wound up going on eBay that same day and doing a BIN for a copy. I've heard others mention they had trouble finding it on the day of release; I just don't see how this was not a good seller.

smithbrad said:
CBS also usually means some of the best quality prints of all the releases. If VEI or Shout got these we would lose that. Just check out the complaints with Bonanza season 2, Rawhide seasons 1 and 4, and all the Cannon releases. It is harder to not notice the quality differences when season releases within the same show have such variation. This isn't all that dissimilar to the Real McCoys thread. Ron, in that thread you won't buy Real McCoys in edited form as long as you feel there could be a chance of getting unedited releases by someone else at sometime. In this case, I don't want these to go to Shout! or VEI until all possible options have been exhausted by CBS. I'll know that when/if they actually get licensed out, but until then I won't wish for it to happen. Just a difference in personal priorities I suppose.
I grew up watching faded scratchy 16mm prints of The Beverly Hillbillies on local TV. I'd prefer crystal clear 35mm transfers as would everyone else but if CBS can't find its way to get off their duff and release them, yes, I'd take Shout! or VEI without care for the picture quality. If the episodes were edited as in the case of The Real McCoys, no, I would not support it. If CBS is going to streaming/downloading, so be it as it's better than nothing.

The fact of the matter is CBS, while not the worst by any means, does not seem to give a care about their classic TV library. They stalled The Phil Silvers Show after one season and it took Shout! to get it to us. They mucked up Gomer Pyle, USMC with music cuts. I believe both Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley had music issues. My Three Sons was a disaster with replaced music and it was on The Fugitive as well until there was an outcry by fans. Incidental music on S4 of The Beverly Hillbillies was replaced by non-fitting generic music; the same exact music was intact on S3!!!! Heck, they even replaced the Green Acres theme during certain scenes on Petticoat Junction according to a friend of mine.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ron1973 said:
It's been two years actually-2013. I had trouble finding TBH on the very day of release here locally, even going to two different Wal-Marts. I wound up going on eBay that same day and doing a BIN for a copy. I've heard others mention they had trouble finding it on the day of release; I just don't see how this was not a good seller.

I grew up watching faded scratchy 16mm prints of The Beverly Hillbillies on local TV. I'd prefer crystal clear 35mm transfers as would everyone else but if CBS can't find its way to get off their duff and release them, yes, I'd take Shout! or VEI without care for the picture quality. If the episodes were edited as in the case of The Real McCoys, no, I would not support it. If CBS is going to streaming/downloading, so be it as it's better than nothing.

The fact of the matter is CBS, while not the worst by any means, does not seem to give a care about their classic TV library. They stalled The Phil Silvers Show after one season and it took Shout! to get it to us. They mucked up Gomer Pyle, USMC with music cuts. I believe both Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley had music issues. My Three Sons was a disaster with replaced music and it was on The Fugitive as well until there was an outcry by fans. Incidental music on S4 of The Beverly Hillbillies was replaced by non-fitting generic music; the same exact music was intact on S3!!!! Heck, they even replaced the Green Acres theme during certain scenes on Petticoat Junction according to a friend of mine.

I think "does not care" is a bit strong. CBS has had some really blatant music issues, some most would never notice, to many with no issue at all. And if they didn't care they never would have put so much effort into fixing "The Fugitive" (countless times). Point being that while It is true there are issues with each release that you have mentioned, I could supply a list of excellent releases as well, and there are more of them then the one's mentioned so far.

It's no secret your preference towards the rural shows, and CBS has disappointed in this area. A general comment that can probably be made about this forum is that the most critical statements against a studio or independent are usually from those whose "grail" shows have either been denied or mistreated, regardless of whatever other quality releases have been done. From a CBS perspective, I've had far more positive than negative experiences, so I guess I cut them more slack, and am willing to wait it out a bit more. I don't think there is any studio or independent I have a strong negative opinion of due to the quality of releases I have received when considering the obstacles and expenses many have going against them.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
CBS can and will do what they want and thanks to them for all their great quality releases like Mannix, Hawaii five O, The Wild Wild West, etc, However shame on CBS for their disregard and lack of respect for Cannon! Also shame on CBS for the many shows they have stalled like Cannon and Barnaby Jones and the many shows they have not released like Dan August and Most Wanted. Also shame on CBS for there slow releases. It is ridiculous that they are not finished or at least 80 percent finished with Gunsmoke now! Fans of classic TV are not getting younger and many have passed away since even 2010! Shame on CBS for their delays, stalling, and not even releasing shows!
Take Care!

Robert

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ron1973 said:
The same happened with me with Shout!'s third-season (1988-89) release of L.A. Law. I was able to get the first two right off on the day of release, but that third one was nowhere to be found, and such incredibly surprised me, as I had been able to get several of CBS' original-recipe Five-O releases (I have 1-8 and the final one) on the day of release, among other things.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
smithbrad said:
I think "does not care" is a bit strong. CBS has had some really blatant music issues, some most would never notice, to many with no issue at all. And if they didn't care they never would have put so much effort into fixing "The Fugitive" (countless times). Point being that while It is true there are issues with each release that you have mentioned, I could supply a list of excellent releases as well, and there are more of them then the one's mentioned so far.

It's no secret your preference towards the rural shows, and CBS has disappointed in this area. A general comment that can probably be made about this forum is that the most critical statements against a studio or independent are usually from those whose "grail" shows have either been denied or mistreated, regardless of whatever other quality releases have been done. From a CBS perspective, I've had far more positive than negative experiences, so I guess I cut them more slack, and am willing to wait it out a bit more. I don't think there is any studio or independent I have a strong negative opinion of due to the quality of releases I have received when considering the obstacles and expenses many have going against them.
I run middle of the road with this issue, Like Ron, I am very frustrated on how they handled The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction (as well as My Three Sons), but generally I am very happy with the amount of vintage shows they did complete and the willingness they have to license out the likes of Mod Squad, Bilko, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones since they didn't intend of completing them themselves. Generally speaking, music replacement issues aside, the quality and product they have put out has been above average and I have no complaints about any of the series I have bought from them. Although I wish they had done something with Our Miss Brooks and The Defenders, I don't really blame them for not releasing that stuff as I realize the demand for those type and age of show are not enough to warrant releases from a business standpoint.

That being said, I do hope they will find an acceptable partner to license the remainder of BH, PJ, and My Three Sons at some point. With all the lesser known titles to come out, it would be a shame if these true classics end up stalled for good.

All in all, you have to put CBS up near the top, if not at that top when it comes to bringing fans classic series through the years. I can't really fault them that the demographics and market just aren't there anymore to maximize profit.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JamesSmith said:
Have you guys written or contacted CBS/Paramount concerning your feelings?

James
They don't tend to like dissension very much; I wound up banned on from their FB page for consistently asking for answers on why they kept stalling shows out. :D

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
bretmaverick2 said:
Most likely shows are stalled due to POOR SALES. Period

Nah. It's all part of the vast corporate conspiracy to keep people from buying the shows they want.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I find it hard to believe that something like season 3 of Petticoat Junction failed. It may not of raked in enough money to please CBS and justify their resources over those of another proposed project, but I imagine it easily moved at least 25,000 units.

There are 5,000 Wal-Mart's in this country and from those that I visited and from reports here and elsewhere, many quickly sold their allotment that seemed to be 4 or 5 copies of this release at each store.

Then there were online sales, potential restocking of this, sales at other retailer outlets after it received its wide release, etc.

I bet $750,000 in revenue is a conservative guess for this one, yielding remastered season 3 transfers as well for a show that they still syndicate to this day that prepares it for hopefully a future on television as well.

Yet idle it sits with decreasing hopes that we're going to see CBS follow through.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
25k? Petticoat Junction: S3?

I dunno, Leo.

Solely based on the Twilight Time model of 3k or 5k units per release...that seems like a lot.

But I'm probably the least qualified to be discussing this topic. Thanks goodness this is the internet! :biggrin:

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I thought that Gunsmoke was a good seller for CBS/P, but it has been over 7 months since the release of Season 11 last December. With 9 seasons to go, I'm not sure I will last long enough to see it completed.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I know this is very unscientific, but if every Wal-Mart in the United States got 4 or 5 copies of Petticoat Junction in on its initial shipment, like those around here did and with similar numbers reported by members around here and elsewhere at their local stores, that's 25,000 copies or so shipped via b&m retail before it ever even reached its wide release.

And the experience from the reports I've seen and my own experience is that they sold well judging by how quickly they disappeared or dropped down to just 1 or 2 copies left.

And that's not counting online Wal-Mart orders during its exclusivity period or possible restockings at retail Wal-Mart locations before its wide retail release. Or sales in Canada where I assume it probably was also available at Wal-Mart during this time.

However many it actually did move when all is said and done, I think it's very safe to say that this blew away the typical amount that Twilight Time sells with their limited edition online business model.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
So some of you think that a company should continue to release products that don't sell? That's an interesting business concept.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Mr. Handley said:

You mention streaming but I know few people who are buying a stream. People like myself are starting to buy electronic sell thru (EST) as downloads. Several of the shows that I watch that have stalled out on Disc I have purchased on EST because they are available there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks