What's new

Edward Scissorhands 25th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

image001-2_4.jpg

image001-2_2.jpg

· Limited edition set includes collectible heart-shaped cookie cutter, topiary air freshener and paper dolls!

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The only thing I've seen is this may be upgraded to MPEG-4, but is it a new resto/master?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The last BD is good enough...not wasting my money on this again. What are the studios thinking, that we'll buy anything they re-release? I just took a bath on the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 4K, even if it was for a cheap price.

When I compared the last SD and the new 4K BD...I wasted my money...the SD was good enough!

I guess it all depends on your setup. I'm able to do side by side comparisons and I don't care what anyone says, some SDs are just as good as the BDs when they are upscaled!

And I will say it again, if there was no BD, and the SD was done right, through upscaling, the SD would be fine...IMHO.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
John Sparks said:
The last BD is good enough...not wasting my money on this again. What are the studios thinking, that we'll buy anything they re-release?

Not necessarily. This new release is welcome for people like me, who haven't bought the original BD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ronald Epstein said:
· Limited edition set includes collectible heart-shaped cookie cutter, topiary air freshener and paper dolls!

With apologies to Seth & Amy... Really, Fox?? REALLY??

Of all the "boxes of junk" that have been foisted on us over the years, this is the "box of junkiest"! :P

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
John Sparks said:
I just took a bath on the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 4K, even if it was for a cheap price.

When I compared the last SD and the new 4K BD...I wasted my money...the SD was good enough!
I noticed a significant difference here (60" plasma) between the "regular" BD and the "4K" BD. The 4K is IMO very very good, considering the material, looked very film-like to me; I was actually a tiny bit impressed, and that doesn't happen often (it was my first 4K, and I thought it was probably hokum). I do have the DVD, the original BD, and the 4K BD, and I'm not even a big fan of the movie...perhaps it's time for my examination "upstairs"... :)

The current BD of ES isn't that great, better than the DVD sure, but nothing to get really happy about. About par for a lot of "early" BDs. But to be honest, based on most of my buying of TB films on BD, I don't know what to expect from them, the transfers are not as good as I expected. Even in their n-th iteration sometimes with newer/more advanced codecs and even higher bitrates. I guess I don't know how to judge the quality of what I'm getting, it may have something to do with the "unique" way the not-real parts are filmed/produced or something by TB, IDK.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
CraigF said:
I noticed a significant difference here (60" plasma) between the "regular" BD and the "4K" BD. The 4K is IMO very very good, considering the material, looked very film-like to me; I was actually a tiny bit impressed, and that doesn't happen often (it was my first 4K, and I thought it was probably hokum). I do have the DVD, the original BD, and the 4K BD, and I'm not even a big fan of the movie...perhaps it's time for my examination "upstairs"... :)

The 4K Ghostbusters was sourced from a different master than the first disc, so I don't think it's "K"-ness had much to do with the difference.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I didn't think Ghostbusters was much of an upgrade in terms of PQ, but the sound was superb.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Worth said:
The 4K Ghostbusters was sourced from a different master than the first disc, so I don't think it's "K"-ness had much to do with the difference.
Ah! Good source = (potentially) good results, garbage-in-garbage-out*, can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, etc. I didn't know it was a different source/scan, and since we can't know for sure (can we?) how much is due to which part, I guess the salient point is I thought the 2nd BD iteration was noticeably superior, and is the one get if choosing and price is acceptable (the 4K version has been very cheap for ages, I buy cheap and I got it quite a while ago).

* not saying the original was, just (a) saying

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ghostbusters is just a crappy looking movie. No amount of extra K is going to make it look better.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Lord Dalek said:
Ghostbusters is just a crappy looking movie. No amount of extra K is going to make it look better.

But I like the idea of being able to see the crap pristinely as possible. :lol:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
An air freshener?! SOLD!!

Criterion should include limited edition air fresheners in all future releases. I would totally buy "The Adventures of Antoine Doinel" (including The 400 Blows) all over again if they threw in an air freshener.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Lord Dalek said:
It's the difference between a better presentation of something vs a worse presentation of it...that is the point, rarely are absolutes used in ref to catalog titles.

The so-called 4K version is the best version of GB we have, now. IOW, the crap looks less crappy. And it does look better than previous versions, regardless of why, they just happen to market it as "4K" (I don't take that too seriously, but some people here think 4K/UHD will automatically make everything look better).

That is the relevance of GB to ES, I think. Even if it was done in 4K, it's hard (for me) to know what a "good" BD presentation of ES would actually look like.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Clearly, whoever was in charge of creating the boxes o' crap at Warners has found a new home at Fox. This and the embarrassing upcoming box for The Rocky Horror Picture Show would have fit right in with WB junk. What are these people thinking?!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
184fecb4-7432-4bc7-b03b-a003a91fd5a5.jpg

CELEBRATE THE 25th ANNIVERSARY OF DIRECTOR
TIM BURTON’S BELOVED MASTERPIECE

e7bcbaf8-e5ae-468f-96b2-883730f75da7.jpg

Experience the Mystical, Peculiar World and Unlikely Love-Story of
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS with a Limited Edition Commemorative Blu-ray™ Giftset and Digital HD Arriving October 13

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (August 11, 2015) – Fall in love again with the timeless classic EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and celebrate its 25th anniversary with an all-new beautifully remastered, all-new 4k transfer available everywhere on October 13. This special-edition Blu-ray™ giftset with commemorative package and Digital HD from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, brings Tim Burton’s 1990 acclaimed work of art back to life just in time for Halloween.

Johnny Depp delivers the performance of a lifetime as Edward, an irresistibly charming creation with razor-sharp metal hands and a heart of gold. Edward’s lonely life in a Gothic castle changes forever when he meets a kindhearted Avon Lady (Dianne Wiest), who takes him to a pastel paradise known as Suburbia. Thanks to his fantastic talents, Edward becomes a neighborhood sensation, but when he falls in love with Kim (Winona Ryder), he must go to extraordinary lengths to protect her.

The beautifully restored EDWARD SCISSORHANDS: 25th ANNIVERSARY Blu-ray™ showcases Burton’s magical use of color, light and shadow, with clear, rich detail in even the darkest scenes. Considered Burton’s most personal and favorite work, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS is one of Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment’s most successful films. Nominated for an Academy Award® for “Best Makeup”, the romantic dark fantasy film is recognized as a quintessential icon for Goth subculture.

The EDWARD SCISSORHANDS: 25th ANNIVERSARY Giftset comes with the beautifully remastered, all-new 4k Blu-ray™, Digital HD and custom paper dolls, a heart shaped cookie cutter and a topiary air freshener that smells like fresh cut grass.

Special Features:

• Tim Burton Featurette
  • Audio Commentary by Tim Burton
  • Audio Commentary by Danny Elfman
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS: 25th ANNIVERSARY:

Street Date: October 13, 2015
Prebook Date: September 9, 2015
Screen Format: Wide Screen 1:85:1
Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, Spanish Stereo, French Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Total Run Time: 105 minutes
U.S. Rating: PG-13
Closed Captioned: Yes

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Glad to see they're retaining the 4.0 audio. Original mixes seem to be getting lost in the rush to upgrade these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks