What's new

What's Next for sub-$2000 projectors? (1 Viewer)

p150

Auditioning
Real Name
Ari
I've been enjoying a Panasonic AX-200U since 2008. It's been a great projector for me - good picture quality and very flexible. The lens shift, zoom and high lumen output mean I am not confined to a single set-up (I've lived in 3 apartments) and can watch with some ambient light. At some point in time, I'm going to replace it. The discontinued Panasonic 8000E was selling for $1500, but now seems to be a bit higher. By most accounts, it's an excellent projector for that price.

Anyway, my question is, is there a projector on the horizon or a particular technology that you expect to drop in price that provide a reason to hold off on buying the 8000? I don't need a new projector today, but would hate to miss out on the 8000 if that's my best option as suppliers sell out (or do you think that's unlikely any time soon?)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With 4K on the horizon, expect a whole bunch of used LCoS/D-ILA to be on the market soon.

My RS60 will be for sale when the wholesale cost of a "legit 4K" projector hits $6000.

Expect a bunch of $5000-$12,000(original price) projectors to flood the used market in the next 1-2 years...selling for $2000-$5000.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam Posten said:
Yeah I don't see a big market for used 1080p PJs, we'll see. I think it will definitely be a buyers market.

Sure there will. People are still buying 720p projectors for God's sake !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks