What's new

The Good Wife - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Returns Sunday, October 4th at 9/8c (or two hours after whenever football happens to end that Sunday).

I realize it's way early for a Season 7 thread, but the news is starting to come in on the seventh and likely last season of network television's best drama and I wanted a place to collect it.

As we all know, Archie Panjabi left the show amid apparently bitter acrimony with Julianna Margulies at the end of last season. However it has since been announced that Makenzie Vega and Matthew Goode will no longer be series regulars next season. Goode is committed to the final season of Downton Abbey. At 21, Vega's adult acting career is starting to take off, and she didn't want to commit to another full season playing a teenager. Still, she has signed a multi-episode deal similar to Chris Noth's to continue with the show in a recurring capacity.

Julianna Margulies, Christine Baranski and Matt Czuchry signed a two-year extension back in April. I've heard nothing either way about Alan Cumming and Zach Grenier's status.

On the incoming side, Watchmen star Jeffrey Dean Morgan is joining the show as a series regular. His character will be the investigator at Alicia's new firm. "Torchwood: Children of Earth" star Cush Jumbo has also joined the show in a major recurring role, but negotiations are ongoing as to whether she's be credited as a series regular or not.

In sadder news, Sabrina Wright, the show's long-time property master, passed away from cancer last month. She'd been with the show since the start of the third season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thank you, Adam, for getting the seventh season thread off to a fine start with this newsy post. I had read about all of these developments, but others may not have, and it's nice to have it all in one place. There is some speculation that Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character may also be a new love interest for Alicia.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another quality actor signed for Season 7: Margo Martindale will recur this season as a political insider adept at presidential campaigns. Since Peter had mentioned he was considering running for President, it's speculated that she will either advise him or be the adviser to one of his opponents, in either case butting heads with Alan Cumming's Eli Gold.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
Another quality actor signed for Season 7: Margo Martindale will recur this season as a political insider adept at presidential campaigns. Since Peter had mentioned he was considering running for President, it's speculated that she will either advise him or be the adviser to one of his opponents, in either case butting heads with Alan Cumming's Eli Gold.

Great news! America's preeminent character actress on broadcast television's preeminent drama. Even better, the press release confirms that Alan Cumming and Zach Grenier signed on as regulars for Season 7!

EMMY AWARD-WINNING ACTRESS MARGO MARTINDALE JOINS “THE GOOD WIFE” IN RECURRING ROLE FOR SEASON SEVEN

THIS JUST IN…​

…From CBS Entertainment​

NEW YORK – July 9, 2015 – Emmy Award-winning actress Margo Martindale will join the critically acclaimed drama THE GOOD WIFE in a recurring role during the show’s seventh season, which started production today. Martindale will play Willa Eastman, a top campaign operative responsible for past successes by underdog presidential candidates in Iowa who hides her intelligence and cunning under a fake, folksy charm.
“Every year we look for a character and an actor who can go toe-to-toe with Eli Gold and make him blink,” said executive producers Robert and Michelle King. ”So we were thrilled when Margo Martindale agreed to play Willa Eastman. Her ability to mix comedy and drama is unparalleled. And we can't wait to see how Margo and Alan deal with each other.”

Margo Martindale’s television credits include “Justified,” for which she won an Emmy Award for her portrayal of Mags Bennett, “The Americans,” for which she has been twice nominated for the Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series, and “The Millers,” on the Network. Her feature credits include “Million Dollar Baby,” “August: Osage County” and “Dead Man Walking.”
THE GOOD WIFE returns for its seventh season Sunday, Oct. 4 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
THE GOOD WIFE stars Julianna Margulies, Christine Baranski, Matt Czuchry, Alan Cumming, Zach Grenier and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. It is produced by Scott Free Productions and King Size Productions in association with CBS Television Studios. Ridley Scott, Robert King, Michelle King, Brooke Kennedy, David W. Zucker, Craig Turk and Leonard Dick are executive producers.
CHEAT TWEET: Casting alert! #MargoMartindale joins #TheGoodWife! Season 7 premieres 10/4 @ 9 PM ET/PT on #CBS http://bit.ly/1HfffrS

Photos are available at: http://cbspressexpress.com
Official CBS Website: http://www.cbs.com/the_good_wife
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheGoodWife
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheGoodWife_CBS
Instagram: @thegoodwife_cbs
CBS Tweet: https://twitter.com/CBSTweet

Cast & Crew on Twitter:

Alan Cumming

@Alancumming

Writers

@GoodWifeWriters

Costume Designer

@goodwifefashion

Set Decorator

@GoodWifeSetDec

* * *​

Press Contacts:

Lauren Kamm

[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

212-975-3869

Kate Fisher

Arpi Ketendjian

212-975-3818

818-655-7221

Photo Contacts:

Meagan McLaughlin

Cory Davis

212-975-7518

212-975-3265

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I guess this answers the question as to whether Peter will go ahead with his run for President.

Martindale, who is fantastic in Justified S2 and The Americans, will be a great addition to the cast. Can't wait to see her character & Eli tee off...

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Craig S said:
I guess this answers the question as to whether Peter will go ahead with his run for President.

Martindale, who is fantastic in Justified S2 and The Americans, will be a great addition to the cast. Can't wait to see her character & Eli tee off...

But but but!!!!!

The Millers?!?!?! Don't tell me her bravura role as Mama Miller will suffer for this . . . . Wait! What? Ohhhhhh. . . .

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't go for spoilers, advanced news, etc. :) but I'm subscribed and looking forward to the next season.

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
"As we all know, Archie Panjabi left the show amid apparently bitter acrimony with Julianna Margulies at the end of last season."

I love this show!

However, the real life, back stage drama escapes me.

Where can I read about the above "acrimony" and other inside stories?

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
telzall said:
"As we all know, Archie Panjabi left the show amid apparently bitter acrimony with Julianna Margulies at the end of last season."

I love this show!

However, the real life, back stage drama escapes me.

Where can I read about the above "acrimony" and other inside stories?
Googling their names will get you most of it. There's actually not a lot of hard fact to tell, mostly speculation circumstantially verified.

Basically, the rumor is a couple years ago, perhaps centered around the time Archie was breaking out and got an Emmy nom when Julianna didn't, the two stopped talking to each other, in real life and on the show. This wasn't readily apparent to the viewer because it also coincided with the plot development of Alicia finding out about Kalinda's and Peter's affair. But over time, close watchers noticed something off about even their scenes together. Even when they reconciled in the storyline, their scenes were over telephone. And the few scenes where they shared screen time looked digitally composited. This digital compositing was verified when the showrunners admitted that their final scene in the bar was filmed separately and assembled in post.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season premiere episode summary:

Alicia attempts to revive her struggling law career by once again starting her own law firm, this time with the assistance of Jason Crouse (new cast member Jeffrey Dean Morgan), a calm, experienced investigator whom she hires. Also, to help with his Presidential campaign, Peter engages Willa Eastman (Margo Martindale, recurring), a national strategist who hides her intelligence and cunning under a fake, folksy charm, creating an interesting dynamic with Eli in the process. In addition, Cush Jumbo joins the cast as attorney Lucca Quinn. @TheGoodWife_CBS

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. The additions of Gallagher and Martindale are HUGE.

And I was already excited for season 7 to get underway. I gotta wait till October?!?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season premiere press release:

ALICIA ATTEMPTS TO REVIVE HER STRUGGLING LAW CAREER BY REPRESENTING CRIMINALS IN BOND COURT, ON THE SEVENTH SEASON PREMIERE OF “THE GOOD WIFE,” SUNDAY, OCT. 4

Cush Jumbo Joins the Cast as Lucca Quinn and Emmy Award Winner Margo Martindale Appears in the Recurring Role of Ruth Eastman

Jane Curtin Guest Stars as Judge Farley and Journalist

Mo Rocca Returns as News Anchor Ted Willoughby

“Grunts” – Alicia attempts to revive her struggling law career by representing arrestees seeking release on bail in bond court, where she meets attorney Lucca Quinn (Cush Jumbo), who competes for her clients. Also, Peter brings in national strategist Ruth Eastman (Margo Martindale) to help with his presidential campaign, and creates an interesting dynamic with Eli in the process, on the seventh season premiere of THE GOOD WIFE, Sunday, Oct. 4 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Jane Curtin guest stars as Judge Farley and journalist Mo Rocca returns as news anchor Ted Willoughby.

CHEAT TWEET: Can Alicia reinvent herself yet again? Find out on #TheGoodWife season premiere #CBS 10/4 @ 9:00PM ET/ PT http://bit.ly/1hZCuAq

REGULAR CAST:

Julianna Margulies (Alicia Florrick)
Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhart)
Matt Czuchry (Cary Agos)
Alan Cumming (Eli Gold)
Zach Grenier (David Lee)
Cush Jumbo (Lucca Quinn)

RECURRING CAST:

Chris Noth (Peter Florrick)
Mackenzie Vega (Grace Florrick)
Jerry Adler (Howard Lyman)
Michael J. Fox (Louis Canning)
Margo Martindale (Ruth Eastman)

GUEST CAST:

Jane Curtin (Judge Farley)
Chris Butler (Matan Brody)
Mo Rocca (Ted Willoughby)
Nicole Roderick (Nora)
Christopher McDonald (Judge Don Schakowsky)
Daniel Abeles (Don Weingarten)
Rob Bartlett (Bernie Bukovitz)
Bridget Regan (Madeline Smulders)
Danny Burstein (Dr. Ian Caine)
Michael Mulheren (Dr. Douglas Dooley)
David Cale (Dr. Nigel Buggy)
Stephen DeRosa (Sam Handy)
Phillip Shinn (Dirk)
Sekou Laidlow (Josiah Banner)
Madison Arnold (Older Partner)
J. Bernard Calloway (Tom Jesse)
Kahlil Garcia (Limo Driver)

WRITTEN BY: Executive Producers Robert King and Michelle King
DIRECTED BY: Executive Producer Brooke Kennedy

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
She was in the flashbacks to the time of the old case in the episode after Alicia concedes the election.
Really looking forward to Margo Martindale, wonderful character actress in everything she's done

Hope they don't bring back the "Jackie" character, wow that woman was annoying.

To bad about the Archie Panjabi situation, she may have committed career suicide with that move.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks