What's new

Bertolucci on Blue Ray (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Well there's not much ,and Criterion has done little ,just their Cropped Last Emperor ,Which the Japanese version

is better in everyway but the extras ,This is not like todays Criterion tiles ,it came with loads of fine extras and thick booklet

so you need both

The Conformist is a wonderful BR ,even if it could have been even Better

The Sheltering Sky is out as a excellent SE in other countries ,I only have the Japanese one which is excellent

and includes a great making of Documentary ,also the little making of which was on the warner dvd

While the picture is excellent ,the transfer isn't as perfect as the Japanese BR of Little Buddha ,which was also

less than half the price , There are a few lines in the Sheltering Sky which are in French only

The Japanese also have a Blue Ray of Besieged ,which I haven't seen, and of course Japanese BR's don't have English

subtitles so their Bertollucci early years box is English free

Of Course there still is no BR of Spiders Stratagem

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Don't forget 1900, which has now been released as a very decdent Blu-ray in its uncut edition, both Italian with subs and English language. DREAMERS is out on Blu in Europe (if you like Eva Green, you'll lke this movie). We'll get more.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I would love a Criterion boxset of

The Last Emperor (the new 4K restoration)

Sheltering Sky

Little Buddha

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Konstantinos said:
I would love a Criterion boxset of

The Last Emperor (the new 4K restoration)

Sheltering Sky

Little Buddha
You might have to wait a lifetime for that, they are hardly Bertollucci fans, how else would they explain only one title on BR and One on DVD

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Peter Neski said:
You might have to wait a lifetime for that, they are hardly Bertollucci fans, how else would they explain only one title on BR and One on DVD
Ok, if it's not Criterion, then someone else.

I don't have a problem. ;)

Why not, Arrow?

Many times they do better work than Criterion in the encoding department.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Conformist has its problems but the present Blu is the best we're going to get. And my UK '1900' is pretty decent.

I'll have to get Sheltering Sky .. one of my favourites .. luckily I have an all-region player.

And I'd dearly love The Spider's Strategem, which is a favourite .. it's years since I've seen it. But since it was made for television, it may have disappeared forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks