What's new

Yamaha RX-V371 shutting off when hdmi out and hdmi in plugged in. (1 Viewer)

blazeb212

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
So I've had this receiver for a few years now and about a year ago it started giving me problems.

Basically whenever I plug my TV into the HDMI out port and my PS3 into the HDMI in port it just shuts off. Ive tried using different HDMI cords in both places and have tried all 4 of the HDMI in ports.

The receiver doesn't turn off when only one of them is plugged in, only both the out and the in. Is this just a clear sign of a short or could something else be causing the problem?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Sure sounds like the HDMI board has gone bad. Bummer. Have you tried resetting to factory default settings?

blazeb212

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
ChromeJob said:
Sure sounds like the HDMI board has gone bad. Bummer. Have you tried resetting to factory default settings?
I tried it last night and just tried it again right now. When I plug in both HDMI's and then choose the HDMI port on the receiver it turns off almost instantly.

blazeb212

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
Well I temporarily fixed the situation by plugged all the devices to the TV and the TV into the HDMI out of the receiver. Then I just got a digital optical audio cable from the TV to receiver and now i have audio from my speakers on all units. Best I can do atm.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
blazeb212 said:
Well I temporarily fixed the situation by plugged all the devices to the TV and the TV into the HDMI out of the receiver. Then I just got a digital optical audio cable from the TV to receiver and now i have audio from my speakers on all units. Best I can do atm.
SPDIF from the TV will only do DD or PCM 2.0 I believe. Limitation of the protocol.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
blazeb212 said:
Well I temporarily fixed the situation by plugged all the devices to the TV and the TV into the HDMI out of the receiver.

In the setup you describe, the HDMI cable connecting the AVR and the TV is unnecessary. At this point, all you're doing is feeding analog 2.0 into the receiver via toslink.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks