What's new

New Netflix user very, very Impressed! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know...obviously very, very late to the party.

However, understand....

I am a hardcore Blu-ray disc purchaser. I usually only watch movies and whatever I need I just purchase. For me, I want to own my content and watch it with the best visual and audio presentation that can be offered. At the moment, Blu-ray seems to serve that purpose perfectly.

However, I have many friends that are always talking about the multitude of TV series that they are watching on Netflix. I always get the "Have you watched this..." and "Have you watched that..." comments.

If I were to buy all those television series on Blu-ray blindly, it would not only be costly, but I could be in for quite a few regrettable purchases.

So, yesterday, I signed up for a free 30-day trial of Netflix. Went with the "basic" middle-tier option that offers HD streaming and the limitations of watching on two televisions at the same time (though I have it installed on four displays that I certainly won't be watching at the same time).

One of the shows recommended to me was BLOODLINE, a Netflix Exclusive television series. Began watching it yesterday and I have already gotten through 8 of the 13 episodes.

I am very impressed with what I have seen thus far --- yes, of the series itself, but even moreso, the quality of the streaming.

I am watching Netflix through my 1080p Apple TV (though I also own a Roku). It is being broadcast across my 118" projection screen. So, under those circumstances, one would expect every single artifact that comes with subpar streaming would show up on the screen.

Not the case at all.

I could not believe how smooth the picture was. It certainly looked better than HD broadcast television (which I see lots of artifacts across my screen), and it comes so close to Blu-ray quality that it would be hard for most to tell the difference.

In fact, I am not even certain I can tell the difference between Netflix streaming quality and Blu-ray. I would suspect that Blu-ray would bring out more dramatic colors. Perhaps I am correct. Perhaps I am wrong.

In any event, consider me greatly impressed with the quality of streaming that Netflix provides.

In fact, I am so impressed with Netflix itself, I just bought a Roku Fire Stick for $50. It is going in my exercise room on a cheap Samsung flat display that has no smart TV features. I have been running out of Blu-ray television shows to watch when I am exercising. Now with the Roku Fire Stick and Netflix, I have almost unlimited television show streaming options. There are so many great shows that I can discover while working out every day.

Yeah, I am late to the party, but I am really discovering the potential of having all this great television series programming at my fingertips.

I am also, sadly, beginning to understand more about why the general populous is abandoning disc purchases and going exclusive with services like Netflix.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The problems start when you want to stream that movie or TV show that Instant doesn't carry, which are many in number. It's good for some programs that my kids like (when they don't up and vanish mysteriously) but otherwise I don't use it that much. Still it does offer a certain utility for certain circumstances, though I've never found it Blu quality.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've had Netflix streaming for quite some time. And have seen the HD streaming content improve remarkably.

In my exercise room, I watch Family Guy episodes, which look excellent. While I never see any motion artifacts, there is some minor banding visible in solid colors once in a while.

One thing I'm not too crazy about is Netflix's habit of shrinking the end credits into a box on the upper left side of the screen (on my PS3 and PC) and filling the rest of the screen with suggestions of what I should watch next. I dicovered that this can be eliminated by using the arrow key on the remote control and selecting the shrunken credits box, hitting enter, which will bring it back to full screen. But I wish there was an option to eliminate this "feature" entirely.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
One more thing. As much as I appreciate having the Netflix HD streaming option, I really, really hope that this will not contribute to the downfall of physical media. Although... It probably is. And here I am contributing to it! :(

While the Netflix picture looks "pretty", it's been heavily compressed. And forget about lossless audio. Not to mention running audio commentaries, and other extras that we have become so accustomed to with our special edition BD "box of junk" sets.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I see no reason why streaming/downloading and physical media can't co-exist for quite some time. If there's something I like enough to own, I want a physical copy of it. On the other hand, I only buy titles I've already seen and know I'll want to revisit at some point. For everything else, Netflix, iTunes etc. is great, especially now that video stores have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob Cashill said:
The problems start when you want to stream that movie or TV show that Instant doesn't carry, which are many in number. It's good for some programs that my kids like (when they don't up and vanish mysteriously) but otherwise I don't use it that much. Still it does offer a certain utility for certain circumstances, though I've never found it Blu quality.

Yeah, Bob, I realize though there is a lot of content, it is still rather limited. For TV series, it serves its purpose. There is plenty for me to watch, and with multiple seasons per show, I definitely have a year's amount of material at my fingertips

Reed Grele said:
One more thing. As much as I appreciate having the Netflix HD streaming option, I really, really hope that this will not contribute to the downfall of physical media. Although... It probably is. And here I am contributing to it! :(

It has and will continue to contribute to the downfall of physical media --- and yes -- our usage of this service instead of buying that physical media is absolutely adding to the problem.

Reed Grele said:
While the Netflix picture looks "pretty", it's been heavily compressed. And forget about lossless audio. Not to mention running audio commentaries, and other extras that we have become so accustomed to with our special edition BD "box of junk" sets.

Absolutely. Which is why physical media is still so important -- at least to those who care -- like we collectors. However, the general populous doesn't care about the things you mentioned above so I don't see those aspects of Netflix improving.

As for me, I am only using it for TV shows, so the losses are insignificant.

Worth said:
I see no reason why streaming/downloading and physical media can't co-exist for quite some time. If there's something I like enough to own, I want a physical copy of it. On the other hand, I only buy titles I've already seen and know I'll want to revisit at some point. For everything else, Netflix, iTunes etc. is great, especially now that video stores have gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Worth, I would suppose that both physical media and Netflix will continue to co-exist. However, I do think Netflix will continue to contribute to the decline of physical media and even hurt upcoming formats like 4k.

We, here at HTF are a unique sort. We don't represent the general public who don't care about compressed streaming quality.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
In the end, I think that most all of us here want to own something that we can hold in our hand. Something that won't disappear from view at the whim of some corporate entity.

We all love the cover art, informative booklets, and many other extras that only physical media provides.

I'll enjoy my Netflix, and Amazon Prime video streaming for casual, and undemanding content viewing. But when I sit down in my home theater and watch a favorite film on my big screen, I want... No, I DEMAND the best possible video and audio presentation that technology and my pocketbook can provide.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's not just new shows streaming in HD, Netflix also has a lot of oldies (mostly from Universal TV) that you can't buy anywhere in HD, such as Emergency!, Leave it to Beaver, Columbo, and Murder She Wrote.

P

Patrick Donahue

Reed Grele said:
One thing I'm not too crazy about is Netflix's habit of shrinking the end credits into a box on the upper left side of the screen (on my PS3 and PC) and filling the rest of the screen with suggestions of what I should watch next. I dicovered that this can be eliminated by using the arrow key on the remote control and selecting the shrunken credits box, hitting enter, which will bring it back to full screen. But I wish there was an option to eliminate this "feature" entirely.
Tons of people complain about not being able to disable that - I've always wondered if they even look :)

Go to Netflix's webpage, under account settings go to playback settings then deselect play episode automatically.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I love NFS.

I also love having the discs in handbut with 2300 movies and shows I don't have space or the money to buy stuff anymore with a few exceptions.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Patrick Donahue said:
Tons of people complain about not being able to disable that - I've always wondered if they even look :)

Go to Netflix's webpage, under account settings go to playback settings then deselect play episode automatically.
Ack! That has been driving me crazy forever. Thank you so much. I just fixed my settings.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Netflix only launched in Australia in March of this year, so like you Ron I - and most of Australia - am only now experiencing the benefits of Netflix.

The first thing I noticed, just as you did, is that the HD (720p) and Super HD (1080p) quality levels are excellent, with 1080p close enough to Blu-ray quality that most people wouldn't notice the difference unless it was pointed out to them. The key difference is in correct color (lower Netflix quality levels exhibit overly saturated color), and in particular color banding and subtle compression artifacts, which typically show up in things like smokey/misty scenes.

Otherwise, I find Netflix to be a great supplement to Blu-ray and DVD viewing, especially for titles which I don't like enough to buy, or just want to try out, and of course for Netflix originals. For example, in the past few months I've watched the entire season runs of Marvel's Daredevil, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Deadwood and classic Twilight Zone - all great quality TV series, but shows that I either hadn't seen before and/or wouldn't necessarily want to buy on Blu or DVD.

Netflix Australia has a pretty poor range of around 1,500 titles vs. around 7,400 titles in the US version, but thanks to a SmartDNS service called Getflix, which only costs me an extra $2 a month, I have access to every Netflix region in the world. Unlike a VPN, a SmartDNS service doesn't reroute all traffic (thereby compromising privacy and slowing down throughput); a SmartDNS service only captures and alters Netflix's attempts at determining my IP address for the purposes of figuring out which region of content to serve me. I can select which Netflix region I want through the Getflix website, and change regions as often as I want. I search for titles across regions using this search engine. Using a SmartDNS to circumvent geoblocking is a method that's been explicitly announced as legal here in Australia, and Netflix turns a blind eye to it as well.

So basically my Panasonic BDT500 region free blu-ray player serves all my Blu-ray, DVD and Netflix streaming needs all in one device :)

Netflix isn't perfect. Yes, it's not the absolute best quality. Yes, the choice of older titles in particular is limited, and content can change at short notice at the rights holders' whims. But for most people it allows them to access a wide variety of content, enough to satisfy their entertainment needs, at quality levels surpassing DVD and nearly approaching Blu-ray, at low cost, great convenience, no lock-in contracts, minimal setup costs (e.g. a $69 Apple TV is more than enough for most people). Is it any wonder that physical disc is dying. I love owning my favorites on Blu, but I can't deny that the Netflix model is incredibly popular with good reason, and will only become more ubiquitous as it is improved, and as Internet speeds improve.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Patrick Donahue said:

I've tried disabling that check box a while ago. It only controls the auto playback of the next episode, not the end titles shrinking down to a small box in the upper left hand corner. At least not on my Windows 7 PC, and Sony PS3.

If there's a setting that eliminates the shrinking end credits/what to watch next suggestions, I haven't found it.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Mark-P said:
It's not just new shows streaming in HD, Netflix also has a lot of oldies (mostly from Universal TV) that you can't buy anywhere in HD, such as Emergency!, Leave it to Beaver, Columbo, and Murder She Wrote.
Many of the classic show are leaving Netflix see my post #14. I also think that netflix is hurting the cable industry more now than the physical media business, see this for example : http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/more-netflix-subs-cutting-their-pay-tv-service-36175. Many many people still buy films and TV shows and billions of dollars are being spent each year. People are buying on physical as well as Electronic sell thru. In fact EST is one of the larger growth areas right now in the home entertainment field. You will still have your renters and purchasers in the future. Im very curious about the new Vidity format thats coming late this year/ early next year.

When it comes to Netflix i really like the original series but I also noticed that most of them are not produced by Netflix but other production companies. They also eventually release on Home Video (physical and EST) which I think is interesting as well.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Towergrove said:
https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/the-netflix-classics-massacre-of-2015/#comment-8000. Lots of programming leaving Netflix in the coming weeks. If you like a show its best to buy if you feel you may want to watch when and where you want. Netflix isnt a permanent personal video library.

Lots of programs go, but lots are also added on a daily basis.

For what it costs per month, Netflix isn't designed to be a permanent personal video library. In the US, a year's worth of HD Netflix costs $108, which would get you maybe 7-10 Blu-rays or DVDs at best. It's unrealistic to expect it to perform the same as a thousand title DVD or Blu-ray library, which would cost you $5-10,000 or more to purchase.

Eventually, as streaming providers consolidate, regional rights conflicts become less common, and Internet infrastructure improves, the quality and stability of content of services such as Netflix will also improve. I can see download to own and/or download to rent and a range of other options being added for those who want greater content security or more consistent quality on slower connections.

It's important to keep in mind that we're in the relatively early days of pure digital media distribution.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Towergrove said:
Many of the classic show are leaving Netflix see my post #14. I also think that netflix is hurting the cable industry more now than the physical media business, see this for example : http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/more-netflix-subs-cutting-their-pay-tv-service-36175. Many many people still buy films and TV shows and billions of dollars are being spent each year. People are buying on physical as well as Electronic sell thru. In fact EST is one of the larger growth areas right now in the home entertainment field. You will still have your renters and purchasers in the future. Im very curious about the new Vidity format thats coming late this year/ early next year.

When it comes to Netflix i really like the original series but I also noticed that most of them are not produced by Netflix but other production companies. They also eventually release on Home Video (physical and EST) which I think is interesting as well.

Sorry, I can't go along with your doom-and-gloom viewpoint. The whole nature of subscription services is that programing is cycled in and out. This is true of Netflix, Amazon Prime and even Warner Archive Instant. It is impossible for them to keep all licenses active in perpetuity. I have seen many programs leave only to return later. Yes I understand it's frustrating when your favorite series disappears when you're only halfway through, but them's the breaks!

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Mark-P said:
Sorry, I can't go along with your doom-and-gloom viewpoint. The whole nature of subscription services is that programing is cycled in and out. This is true of Netflix, Amazon Prime and even Warner Archive Instant. It is impossible for them to keep all licenses active in perpetuity. I have seen many programs leave only to return later. Yes I understand it's frustrating when your favorite series disappears when you're only halfway through, but them's the breaks!
Wouldnt reall call my quote "doom and gloom" many series do leave and many do not return. I find it great that we as a consumer do have a choice in the market to buy or rent our media. Thats a good thing for consumers. I would like to point out though that the article I posted does show that a large number of classic series are leaving netflix with fewer being added to the lineup. Maybe netflix would be better if they charged $20 to $30 a month for the service??

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Funny that Ron should post this now, as I came here to vent about how I'm about to give up on Netflix. I've been watching it since 2010, and back then I was rather tolerant of the lack of picture quality as it was still a new thing and they gave you so much for so little money. I was very pleased when they improved the picture quality and added 5.1 sound.

However, this thing they are doing with the end credits is 100% UNACCEPTABLE. Although they seem to have been doing that for a while, I didn't have any devices that "supported" that "feature" until I recently got a Roku Stick. (I have a Roku 1 but it has been having video glitches. I also have a basic Netflix interface on my TV, but since my receiver doesn't support ARC I can't get full Dolby Digital Plus out of it. I get a down-rezzed Dolby Digital track through the optical cable which results in a "chirping" effect on any high-pitched sounds, thus why I bought the Roku 1.)

I found this on Netflix's "Tech Blog" which made me absolutely furious: http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/04/extracting-contextual-information-from.html

Short version of it is that they don't even have a real human decide when to break in- they've instead created an "algorithm" for finding end credit sequences and applied it to everything! I've skipped to the end of a few movies that I already know quite well and it RUINED the ending of some of them- for example on "Grease" it immediately cuts to the split-screen after the car flies off, spoiling the yearbook-style credits. On Wayne's World and Scary Movie, it breaks in even though there's a post-credit scene in both of those, and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is spoiled because there's some funny stuff written in the credits. I don't want to have to hit any buttons to restore the screen, the mood is already broken when that happens. Reed Hastings and that tech clown who wrote the above blog will be getting a printed letter from me- if I can't find another working device that gives me Netflix without this intrusion, it'll be cancelled.

And that's just one more reason not to give up physical media in favor of streaming- what if EVERY streaming service starts doing this? Amazon already has, which I've posted about, and that even does it to movies you've already PURCHASED. If that's the future, count me out. I'd rather go back to VHS tapes than tolerate that crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks