What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Missing -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Tom Shankland's The Missing -- the Starz limited series, not to be confused with any other production of the same name, is at times, a frustrating series to watch, as it jumps back and forth between years, and a continuum of relationships.

In some ways it almost reminds me of style in which NBC's Keith Morrison (Dateline) reports the background and search through a mysterious murder, disappearance, or other dastardly event.  The trick is to be able to entertain while telling the tale, and at the same time, take a story that can be told in ten minute of reportage, and hold one's audience, rapt through an hour or more.  "And then, something was discovered that not only stopped the police in their tracks, but brought the justice system to a dead halt..."

That ability to take a story, and draw it out, in the case of The Missing, to eight episodes, over eight hours.

While I'll admit to occasional confusion, whilst viewing the UK produced series, that's also part of the experience in viewing.  Rather like living in the world of a brilliant Kieslowski film.

If one were to try to find a single word to relate to the series, it would probably be "obsession."

I've not had time to check which camera system was used for the shoot, but the imagery, as projected, looks fine.

The Missing is a series that almost seems a preparation for what I presume will be Season Two, further following lead James Nesbitt's search.

Recommended (presuming one has the 8 hours to spare)

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I loved this series, I didn't want to see it at first, as the central theme of a young boy abducted is the stuff of nightmares. It didn't take long to get used to the jumps back & forth in time (I'd look out for the haircuts). I like the way each episode would end in a game-changer shock. Only the coda at the very end rang false to me.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Billy Batson said:
I loved this series, I didn't want to see it at first, as the central theme of a young boy abducted is the stuff of nightmares. It didn't take long to get used to the jumps back & forth in time (I'd look out for the haircuts). I like the way each episode would end in a game-changer shock. Only the coda at the very end rang false to me.
The coda was the setup for next season.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Didn't know about this. Sounds great. (But there are SO MANY things I say that about these days. Where to begin?)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
We thoroughly enjoyed watching it on Starz. In particular, Tcheky Karyo's performance was very strong.

When we saw the ending, it seemed like a waffling copout; but we didn't realize it was a lead-in to the next season.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Doug Otte said:
We thoroughly enjoyed watching it on Starz. In particular, Tcheky Karyo's performance was very strong.

When we saw the ending, it seemed like a waffling copout; but we didn't realize it was a lead-in to the next season.
That's what I've been led to believe.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think this is a great one-off story, I just can't see any need for a sequel (or series two). I think the uneasy ending is where it should stay, but I suppose it's all deals & money. I loved the look of it.

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Man, the video on this release is horrible. Looks almost standard def, and despite being labeled 1080p is in fact NOT, and is interlaced (either that, or it is indeed 1080p but uses a clearly interlaced master, so all the effects of interlacing are present). Tons of smeary trails on movement. Even the subtitle files aren't crisp but a bit soft, almost as if they're burned in even though they are generated.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
CobraVerde said:
Man, the video on this release is horrible. Looks almost standard def, and despite being labeled 1080p is in fact NOT, and is interlaced (either that, or it is indeed 1080p but uses a clearly interlaced master, so all the effects of interlacing are present). Tons of smeary trails on movement. Even the subtitle files aren't crisp but a bit soft, almost as if they're burned in even though they are generated.

The Missing, which was produced for TV, and to be viewed on nominal sized screens, is derived from 1080i. And while I find repeated frames (not visible in movement), do to the conversion, the imagery has a velvety cohesive appearance. I'm presuming that it was shot with a bit of filtration.

Unlike the first go-round of Downton, which was extremely problematic, and was replaced, Missing seems quite viewable.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks