What's new

3D Super 8mm 3-D from 1985 and '86 (1 Viewer)

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Several of us here have been 3-D fans a long, long time.

I know that Bob Furmanek in particular got bitten by the bug as a youngster, and to satisfy his 3-D cravings, he had to make do with 8mm anaglyphic digest prints (or package films) like the Three Stooges in Spooks.

Me, I got hit with 3-D back in 1982, when I was 11 years old. I was already a great movie buff with a fair knowledge of film history, and I was mildly outraged that something this wonderful, something they had known how to do since at least the 1950s, was only just now making a bit of a comeback.

As we all know, that particular comeback didn't last long.

The anaglyphic cutdowns that helped Bob and others get through the lean times were not widely available to me; I only ever found one, a secondhand copy of The Mad Magician. I wanted more 3-D movies, and since Hollywood didn't seem to be making any, I decided to do it myself.

Here then are links to two honest-to-goodness dual-strip 3-D movies I made in 1985 and 1986, The Freak and The Minotaur. I filmed them using two Chinon cameras on a common base, edited them as best I could without a multi-gang synchronizer, and projected them very imperfectly using a pair of Super 8 projectors I had.

Lately I've had them digitally scanned. I've tweaked the sync and made some much-needed adjustments in convergence, which I did not understand very well as a young teenager. On The Minotaur in particular, you will notice that some shots are marred by illumination asymmetry, as the left eye is darker than the right eye. I hope to correct this problem soon and upload an improved version.

You will also notice that the films are silent, with intertitles and musical accompaniment. I didn't get a magnetic sound camera until Christmas of '86, and then only because it was a closeout special at Sears. So these films don't have sound, but by golly they have 3-D!

I hope you will look past the considerable imperfections in these films and find the entertainment value. I am very, very proud of myself for having had the gumption to make them. Thirty years on, I am still profoundly devoted to stereo photography and 3-D cinema, and if I know a lot more today, that's because I never stopped building on these humble foundations.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Way cool! Thanks for sharing these.

Lots of pop out moments! :3dglasses:

This brings back memories of my youth. I made an 8mm silent film back in 1973 for a high school English class project. 2D though.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Very cool! I was able to watch them on my iPhone using an old my3D viewer. That's a flash in the pan Viewmaster for iPods that hit the market four or five years ago. The 3D looked great! I used to do a little stop motion stuff in Super 8, but I never tried 3D. Well done!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's wonderful Mike and good for you - building your own rig!

Thank you for the dedication. That was totally unexpected and very nice of you.

GregK

Screenwriter
Stereo_Vista.jpg

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Greg, that is so bitchin'! Totally made my day!

Funny thing: I styled my setup "Stereo Vista" from day one, more or less trying to ape StereoVision, but my original, hand-drawn opening credits for both movies cried out to be updated. So the logo there is a recent thing, done in Paint, and broadly inspired by illustrations in Spottiswoode. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks