What's new

Creed (2015)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Creed (2015)

Tagline: Your legacy is more than a name

Genre: Drama

Director: Ryan Coogler

Cast: Michael B. Jordan, Sylvester Stallone, Tessa Thompson, Phylicia Rashād, Tony Bellew, Alex Henderson, Graham McTavish, Wood Harris, Ritchie Coster, Tone Trump, Brian Anthony Wilson, Andre Ward, Gabe Rosado, Jacob 'Stitch' Duran, Liev Schreiber, Michael Buffer, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Wilbon, Hannah Storm, Jim Lampley, Hans Marrero, Will Blagrove, Malik Bazille, Buddy Osborn, Rupal Pujara, Ricardo 'Padman' McGill, Joey Eye, Johanna Tolentino, Kash Goins, Michael Barker, Clare O'Malley, Kevin King Templeton, Roy James Wilson, Mauricio Ovalle, Mark Smith, Josue Rivera, Derrick Webster, Manny Ayala, Anthony Martins, Ricardo Vera, Shawn Clark, Christian D. Ellison, Frank Pesce, Robert Sale, Richard Lyntton, Kathleen M. Deegan, Marquise Noel, Elvis Grant, Max Kellerman, Khareem Hinton, Noah Coogler, Nelson Bonilla, Troy Faruk, Angela Davis, Claire Bronson, Deborah Ingersoll, Robert Douglas, Troy K. Weston, Ludwig Göransson, Moses Sumney, Kenneth Martin, Jermaine Holt, Horace Knight, Sli Lewis, Brionna Maria Lynch, Jalil Jay Lynch, Zedric Harris, Christopher Jon Gombos, Jeff Ward, Terry Lee Fields II

Release: 2015-11-25

Runtime: 133

Plot: The former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa serves as a trainer and mentor to Adonis Johnson, the son of his late friend and former rival Apollo Creed.

Apologies if there's already a thread started for this; a search on "Creed" turned up a ton of false positives.

This trailer has a bit more effect if you don't know what the movie is, but plays pretty great either way:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm very much looking forward to Creed, Rocky is right up there with Star Wars as my favorite franchise.

Up until I saw this trailer I was under the impression that the movie was about Apollo's grandson. At the youngest his kids would have to be in their thirties. But if I can let Stallone get away with challenging the heavyweight champion at the age of 60, Rocky training Apollo's son can slide too.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Carl Johnson said:
I'm very much looking forward to Creed, Rocky is right up there with Star Wars as my favorite franchise.

Up until I saw this trailer I was under the impression that the movie was about Apollo's grandson. At the youngest his kids would have to be in their thirties. But if I can let Stallone get away with challenging the heavyweight champion at the age of 60, Rocky training Apollo's son can slide too.

One speculation is that Jordan is not playing the son we saw in Rocky II, who'd really be in his early forties right now, but rather a third child whom Mary Anne was pregnant with when Apollo was killed by Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. It would explain why he never knew his father, and why Rocky didn't recognize him; after all, Rocky was close with Apollo's family during the period between Rocky II and Rocky IV.

Another speculation, going by the fact that the character is named Adonis Johnson instead of Adonis Creed in some of the promotional materials, is that his character is actually Apollo's illegitimate bastard, taken care of by Apollo's estate but not part of the family. It would resolve the continuity issues from above and could mean that Rashad isn't actually playing Mary Anne Creed but rather Adonis's mother and Apollo's onetime mistress.

I personally would hope for the former, since I'd hate to see Apollo's character besmirched in that way. On the other hand, he'd have hardly been the first famous athlete to step out on his spouse.

There's also the issue that the films aren't always set in the year they're released; while Rocky was released in 1976, it was largely set in 1975 during the lead up to the nation's bicentennial. Rocky II came out in 1979, but was still set in 1976, covering the eleven months immediately following the first fight. Rocky III was released in 1982 but covered the entire six year period between the second fight with Apollo Creed and the "third fight" in private that is referenced in the trailer above. Rocky IV was both set in and released in 1985, a product of its moment and for its moment. The disappointing Rocky V again changes the timeline, covering the period immediately after Rocky's fight against Ivan Drago to his street brawl with Tommy Gunn three years later. Then Rocky Balboa made a significant time jump forward to 2005-2006 for the 2006 released film. So while this is being released in 2015, it could theoretically take place any time after 2006.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I love the Rocky movies, makes it easy being from Philly and growing up near where Rocky first lived.

Looking forward to this. Stallone seems to care about these characters and wants the stories to be good.

Now what about the dingbats who are fans of the group Creed who want the title of the movie changed..

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
In Rocky VII, Adonis discovers an Infinity Stone that allows him to travel back in time and prevent his father's death by siccing a velociraptor on Ivan Drago. However, he doesn't count on the intervention of Ivan's Terminator protector. With time running out, Rocky lifts Thor's hammer Mjölnir, enlists the help of Max Rockatansky and the crew of the starship Enterprise, and engages in a hair-raising, 50-minute car chase to save both Apollo Creed and his son while the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Rated "I" for "Inevitable"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I generally find Michael B Jordan has incredible range when he gets a chance. Reteaming with some of the crew for Fruitvaile Station is smart and gives me a ton of hope for this.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Just caught an early screening of this, and it is an awesome crowd-pleaser. Performances are terrific, craftsmanship is impeccable (after Fruitvale and this, I am officially a Ryan Coogler fan), and there's a genuine emotional center that sneaks up on you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bryan Tuck said:
Just caught an early screening of this, and it is an awesome crowd-pleaser. Performances are terrific, craftsmanship is impeccable (after Fruitvale and this, I am officially a Ryan Coogler fan), and there's a genuine emotional center that sneaks up on you.
Yes, I agree with everything you said here. I had a great time with this film!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific film. A crowd pleaser very similar to the original Rocky. All the leads were great especially Stallone who deserves an Oscar nom. One of the years best.

[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️1/2 out of [emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️[emoji294]️

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There's a great line in the film spoken by Adonis that sums it up in a nutshell.

SPOILER

Can't remember the exact line but it was something like "I wanna prove I'm
Not a mistake"

That's the heart of the film for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The New Yorker raved about the film, in a pretty interesting review exploring issues of privilege and community as well as, as Bryan put it, the impeccable craftsmanship.

I probably won't have a chance to see this until the weekend of the 5th, but with all of the praise from the professional critics and you guys, the anticipation is getting hard to bear.

EDIT: Interesting look at the composition of the score for the film:

Swedish composer Ludwig Goransson, mostly known for his television work (aside from Coogler's Fruitvale Station), is only the third composer for the franchise after Vince DiCola (for Rocky IV) and Bill Conti (for all of the others). I'm really pumped at the way he seems to have integrated Conti's themes and then spun them off in different directions. I wasn't expecting the big jazzy orchestral score that this appears to be pointing toward.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Stallone was fantastic, but Tino nails the line.. The moment he said "I wanna prove I'm not a mistake" that entire storyline clicked together. This was a really good film with two great performances.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
man I can't wait to see this! What an inspiring thread. Have to confess I hadn't heard of this until the other day & I just happened to walk by the Poster at my local Cinemark. I thought 'you gotta be kidding me" ...but then the reviews have been GREAT.

I am going 2moro evening after I fill my body with turkey and dressing :)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks