What's new

Used Mits DLP RPTVs - got 3 dirt cheap! (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I can't believe how low prices have gotten for used Mitsubishi 1080p DLP RPTVs. Maybe I just lucked out, but I acquired three of them this week, for the prices of $250, $80, and FREE.

The $250 and FREE ones were non-3D 65" displays, both working with no issues. The $80 one needs a new DLP chip (which costs about $175), but it was a 73" Diamond series and can take a 3D adapter for HDMI 1.4 / 3D Blu-ray playback.

Now I know with 4K and thin LCDs, these things are not as fashionable as they were 5-10 years ago, but they're selling for about 5-10% of their new price. But they really don't take up more space than an LCD if sitting on top of a TV stand (true, they aren't wall-mountable). I'm surprised people who want HT on a budget haven't caught on to these things!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

The DLPs (of which Mits was the premier manufacturer, AFAIK) were known as a “best bang for the buck” in HD TVs. I expect it was the fact that they weren’t thin that did them in, as well as the consumable bulb that is expensive to replace.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Mits bulb, while still production, was $99...and French.

It was the manufacturers not using a French bulb(Thomson*...ironically) that did them in.

*which divested itself of Funai/Directv and is now just Technicolor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks