What's new

3D Who here has "Working For Peanuts" on Blu-ray 3-D? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know this has so far only been released on the Mitsubishi 3-D Starter Kit promotional disc of some years ago, with 22-minutes of 3-D programming. I am really anxious to find out a) how is the 3D in this film and b) whether any one knows where I can pick this up for less than the $175.00 I see it for on eBay.

Many thanks!

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Dick said:
I know this has so far only been released on the Mitsubishi 3-D Starter Kit promotional disc of some years ago, with 22-minutes of 3-D programming. I am really anxious to find out a) how is the 3D in this film and b) whether any one knows where I can pick this up for less than the $175.00 I see it for on eBay.

Many thanks!

I have that promotional BD, and the Donald Duck cartoon is the highlight of the disc. You can have mine for $174.99 :3dglasses: :lol: .

The 3D is just what you would expect from a 1950s cartoon, especially one from Walt Disney Studios. Good pop-out effects, and even decent perspective 3D among the tree branches and other scenery.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't see it on eBay right now. Check out previous sales on eBay.

6/23 - $25

5/26 - $4.99

5/16 - $9.99

5/10 - $46.25

I'll have to watch it again as I don't remember much pop-outs. There is a scene where peanuts are thrown from the middle of your room into the picture.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
RolandL said:
I'll have to watch it again as I don't remember much pop-outs. There is a scene where peanuts are thrown from the middle of your room into the picture.

Same here, but I'll rectify that tonight after I finish the review I'm soon to be working on. I haven't seen it since I first got it years ago, so it'll be a nice little tidbit for tonight's viewing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think either Bob or Greg over on the 3D thread mentioned that the 3D had been altered for the Blu-ray compared to the original 1950s version, but I don't remember what the exact details of the changes were.

I saw it because the 3D version was actually on YouTube in a side by side format that I was able to stream to my TV - it's not as good as the disc would be but I thought it was watchable:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Greg knows the details but I believe they altered the overall convergence to place most of the action outside the stereo window for more extreme "pop out."

The original 35mm 3-D release was set further back for a deeper stereo image within the window.

GregK

Screenwriter
The 3-D bluray is (as most vintage stereoscopic goes) always an entertaining watch and recommended viewing. That said, a tech which was working for the studio at the time decided the short needed "pumped up", so the convergence was altered so most of the primary subject material was pushed slightly out of the stereo window. A side effect of this change is visible 3-D "fringing" on both the left and right sides of the image. The opening titles were also slightly windowboxed for reasons unknown.

The above comments are looking at the at the short with a more critical eye plus knowing how it was originally shown in 3-D. I still feel it is well worth pursuing the 3-D bluray just for this short alone, and again is a highly recommended watch.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
GregK said:
The 3-D bluray is (as most vintage stereoscopic goes) always an entertaining watch and recommended viewing. That said, a tech which was working for the studio at the time decided the short needed "pumped up", so the convergence was altered so most of the primary subject material was pushed slightly out of the stereo window.

From my Panasonic AE8000 the whole image (stereo window?) comes out about three feet from the wall (appears to be floating in the room).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks