What's new

RIP Patrick Macnee of "The Avengers" (1 Viewer)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Macnee through the years on The Avengers

Macnee with his original co-star Ian Hendry (1961-1962)
Ian-Hendry-Dr-David-Keel-Patrick-Macnee-John-Steed-The-Avengers-TV-Series-1-1961.jpg

Macnee with Honor Blackman (1962-1964)
CathyGale.jpg

Macnee with Diana Rigg, easily the most famous paring (1965-1968)
00103F1200000258-3139387-image-a-19_1435258128902.jpg

Macnee with Linda Thorson (1968-1969)
Patrick_MacNee_Linda_Thorson_1968.JPG

Macnee with Joanna Lumley and Gareth Hunt (1976-1977)
-The-New-Avengers-Gareth--010.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
He always struck me as a class act, and I enjoyed him in everything I ever saw (or heard) him in. And I'm sorry we've lost another of the great ones.

(His voice overs in the first Battlestar and the Bond documentaries remain among my favorites.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, indeed, a wonderful actor, and a most familiar and comfortable presence on television for so many decades. He will be so very missed.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I was just watching an episode of The Avengers last week in memory of Christopher Lee. And as I was watching, I thought to myself, how lucky we were to still have Patrick MacNee with us.

R.I.P. Good Sir.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I grew up watching him in the avengers. Rest in peace, sir.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I so identify him with John Steed, that when his character in A View To A Kill is eliminated, it was actually pretty upsetting the first time I saw it.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
RIP Mr. Macnee

I knew him best from the Avengers, Battlestar Galactica, A Christmas Carol and the Howling. i liked him in everything I've seen him in.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
More sad news.

The Avengers is a nostalgic favorite I still watch every couple of years or so. I bought the season 5 blu-ray a few months ago, fantastic quality.

R.I.P. John Steed. :(

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Damn - this is another downer but Patrick has left a really good body of work. Favorite without doubt is his John Stead - many wonderful memories of watching The Avengers.

RIP Patrick Macnee. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Regards

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Reading about him today I was surprised by the fact that he spent the last 40 years of his life in Southern California. I probably read it somewhere before that, but his portrayal of Steed was so iconic it's hard to picture him surrounded by palm trees, and not spending his golden years in a flat in London or a manor house in Dorset. To me John Steed and Patrick Macnee will always be the quintessential English gentlemen.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
DaveHof2 said:
Reading about him today I was surprised by the fact that he spent the last 40 years of his life in Southern California. I probably read it somewhere before that, but his portrayal of Steed was so iconic it's hard to picture him surrounded by palm trees, and not spending his golden years in a flat in London or a manor house in Dorset. To me John Steed and Patrick Macnee will always be the quintessential English gentlemen.

I had just see him in an episode of The Virginian (season 8, 1970), which must have been right around the time he moved to Southern California. It was a hoot to see him play the rapscallion villain.

I was also very heartened to read that it was MacNee's insistence that he never use or carry a gun in The Avengers. How revolutionary for a 60s' show! His reasoning was he had witnessed too many friends blown away from guns in the war. But taking a stand like that and showing you can have a successful action show without gun violence makes me appreciate it even more. Thanks again, Patrick, for showing real class.

I recently got the Season 5 set in BD, so it's time to revisit this show with new appreciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks