What's new

Surrounds at 13' to far? Opinions please (1 Viewer)

Baht man

Grip
Real Name
Mike (real name Michael)
My room depth is 22' and I sit about 10 from the sound stage.

Width wise, the surrounds would be about 13' each from the MLP.

See attached floor plan.

I'm concerned about this distance for typical stand mount surrounds and looking for your opinions and suggestions.

Given the distance will standard surrounds be effective or do I need to go with full range towers?

Mains will be either KEF Q900's, Focal Aria 936's or PSB Imagine T2's

And no, I can't change the MLP.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Old plan pic.jpg
    Old plan pic.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 61

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I would go with higher quality bookshelf or surrounds (e.g. SVS Prime or Ultra), or some modest towers, if you're on a budget. You'll want spkrs that can be heard that far away without breaking a sweat.

And a surround back (or pair) if you possibly can.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It also looks like the surrounds will be placed a little in front of the MLP. That might be a bigger issue to me then their distance.

It's funny. The first thing I think about when I enter someones house or browse homes on-line is "where would I place the speakers in this goofy room?" They sure don't design houses with us in mind.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I would stick with a smaller version of your main speakers and simply increase their level to match the other speakers, this can be done automatically in your receiver or with a SPL meter. It would be best if your surrounds can go down to at least 80 hz to avoid any "holes" in the frequency response, i.e., lost information that might be in the surround track, but large, full range surrounds would be overkill. So the short answer is "no", 13" is not too far away to make an effective surround experience.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
vidiot33 said:
I would stick with a smaller version of your main speakers and simply increase their level to match the other speakers, this can be done automatically in your receiver or with a SPL meter. It would be best if your surrounds can go down to at least 80 hz to avoid any "holes" in the frequency response, i.e., lost information that might be in the surround track, but large, full range surrounds would be overkill. So the short answer is "no", 13" is not too far away to make an effective surround experience.
Smaller speakers that go down to 120Hz should be fine, if the AVR allows bass management to divert audio < 120Hz to the sub. (My AVR will only use a single crossover freq, so freqs below X from any speaker marked as "Small" go to the sub. No big deal. But if you have full range speakers in front and want a crossover of THX-recommended 80Hz, but smaller in back and a crossover of 120Hz, you might want an AVR with that capability. Not a necessity, at all, though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks