What's new

Spider-Man Homecoming - July 7, 2017

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Title: Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Tagline: Homework can wait. The city can't.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction, Drama

Director: Jon Watts

Cast: Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Robert Downey Jr., Marisa Tomei, Jon Favreau, Gwyneth Paltrow, Zendaya, Donald Glover, Jacob Batalon, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, Bokeem Woodbine, Tyne Daly, Abraham Attah, Hannibal Buress, Kenneth Choi, Selenis Leyva, Angourie Rice, Martin Starr, Garcelle Beauvais, Michael Chernus, Michael Mando, Logan Marshall-Green, Jennifer Connelly, Gary Weeks, Christopher Berry, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Tunde Adebimpe, Tiffany Espensen, Isabella Amara, Michael Barbieri, Josie Totah, Hemky Madera, Zach Cherry, Kirk R. Thatcher, Yu Lew, Sondra James, Bob Adrian, Gary Richardson, Stan Lee, Joe Hang, Wayne Pére, Chris Evans, Alexa Laraki, Liza Fagin, Kerry Condon, John Penick, Ethan Dizon, Amy Hill, Miles Mussenden, Martha Kelly, Kevin LaRosa Jr., Ren Colley, Jennifer Kim, Ari Groover, Louis Gonzalez, Stewart Steinberg, Andy Powers, Omar Capra, Nitin Nohria, Vince Foster, Brian Schaeffer, Chris Adams, Mary Liz Adams, Maiya Boyd, Jonah Bowling, Myles Anderson, Rebeca Donovan, Faith Logan, Destiny Lopez, Elli, Tahseen Ghauri, Nickolas Wolf, Jaine Ye, Gina Cordan, Friday Chamberlain, Stephen Vining, Sydney Shea Barker, Cassidy Balkcom, Jeremy Francis Bell, Romar Bennett, Jonnah-Blaine Bowling, Dante Brattelli, Michael Breath, Lauren Brumbelow, Wayne Burley, Randy Burnett, Liam Capek, London Carlisle, Leonardo Collaguazo, Richard R. Corapi, Marmee Regine Cosico, Joy Costanza, Roy Coulter, John Druzba, Adrian Favela, Gregory French, Davvy Glab, Melissa Kay Glaze, Emelita T. Gonzalez, Austin Handle, Jonathan Randall Hunter, Jada Jarvis, Jerome Joyce, Sherin Maldonado, Melvin Kindall Myles, Donald K. Overstreet, Darshan Patel, Felix Perez, Calvin Powell, Salena Qureshi, Hallie Ricardo, Doug Scroggins III, Chris Sepulveda, Megan Wilkens, Trevor Wolf, Tiani Wright

Release: 2017-07-05

Runtime: 133

Plot: Following the events of Captain America: Civil War, Peter Parker, with the help of his mentor Tony Stark, tries to balance his life as an ordinary high school student in Queens, New York City, with fighting crime as his superhero alter ego Spider-Man as a new threat, the Vulture, emerges.

Marvel announced their new Spider-Man today.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24758...udios_find_their_spider-man_star_and_director

Tom Holland will be playing Peter Parker/Spider-Man and the movie will be directed by Jon Watts whose only previous movie (Cop Car) has yet to be released.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
zOWspvR.png

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see they're moving along. My guess is that Spider-Man is in good hands at Marvel Studios.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
How many more reboots do we have to have? I can understand rebooting an old classic here and there but this constant rebooting of current films is ridiculous. I also don't mind prequels and sequels, but just making a movie over again just because some people think they can do it a little different is out of hand.

Besides the only Tom Holland whose work I'm interested in is the director of the classic films, not this kid.

Back to you Tom...(as in Tucker, from Family Guy) :P

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
hotrodguy said:
How many more reboots do we have to have? I can understand rebooting an old classic here and there but this constant rebooting of current films is ridiculous. I also don't mind prequels and sequels, but just making a movie over again just because some people think they can do it a little different is out of hand.

Besides the only Tom Holland whose work I'm interested in is the director of the classic films, not this kid.

Back to you Tom...(as in Tucker, from Family Guy) :P
What would you have Marvel Studios do? Use the Spider-Man established by Sony in The Amazing Spider-Man films that wasn't connected to and doesn't fit in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and that many movie goers weren't too wild about)? Be stuck with a Norman Osborn that is already dead (after 3 minutes of screen time)? Etc, etc..

Yes, this is another re-boot. But it is Marvel Studios' FIRST opportunity to use the character in their films and use their new take on the character in new stand alone films that they make for Sony. If Marvel is connecting their cinematic universe with Spider-Man now, they want control over his world and how he is portrayed.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Interestingly, one of the main reasons Sony said they were re-booting Rami's Spider-Man and doing the "Amazing" films was that they wanted to take Peter Parker back to high school and focus on his struggle as a high school student trying to figure out how to be a super hero.

But then they cast 28 year old Andrew Garfield. It was pushing it having him play a teen in the first film. And the story didn't really focus much on him being in high school anyway. Then they had him graduate right at the beginning of the second movie because it really was hard to buy him as a 17 year old. So the first re-boot was a good example of a re-boot that happened for no good reason at all.

In this case, there's a much better reason to re-boot. The character is joining Marvel's Cinematic Universe and it is better that they aren't limited by what Sony has done in the "Amazing" films. And in this case, Marvel is actually serious about portraying Peter's life as a high school student moonlighting as a super hero. They were looking young with casting, and they cast a 19 year old.

I haven't seen Tom Holland in anything yet, but I hear he's a talented young actor. He'll appear with Chris Hemsworth (Thor) in "In the Heart of the Sea".

Looking at him in this picture below, he looks the perfect age/size for a teenage Peter (compared to The God of Thunder).

image.jpg

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Whatever the rationalizations are behind a third iteration of the Spider-man character, I think a lot of people are just exhausted with it. I know I am.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
dpippel said:
Whatever the rationalizations are behind a third iteration of the Spider-man character, I think a lot of people are just exhausted with it. I know I am.
Spider-Man is joining Marvel Studios' HIGHLY successful cinematic universe. That is a pretty big thing for fans of the movies and the genre in general. It simply wasn't going to happen without a fresh take on the character, period.

Maybe try a vitamin?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they still cast too old. Maybe at 19-21 he's fine for high school age (as he'll be filming the Civil War appearance and first new solo film), but by the time they make the second movie, he'll be too old to be credible for high school, and you've got the same problem all over again.

If it were me in charge (and clearly there are lots of good reasons that I'm not), I'd have waited a good long time to introduce a new Spider-Man. At some point probably sooner than later (2019?), Robert Downey Jr will be done with playing Iron Man, and I'm sure the rest of the first wave of Marvel heroes will eventually follow. That would be a great time to introduce a new Spider-Man, both in terms of bringing a well known hero into the fold after most of the others have come and gone, and also after enough time has passed from the Maguire and Garfield movies. And I'd cast younger, 15-16, because it ends up being 2-3 years or more between movies and this way you can still do three or so with him in high school.

But that's just my opinion right now before a single second of footage has been shot. I'm certainly open to giving it a shot but after the Maguire and Garfield movies I just have no enthusiasm left for Spider-Man (and to be fair to those actors, he wasn't my favorite character to begin with).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
They were reportedly looking a bit younger initially.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tom-holland-spider-man-new-marvel-1201510563/

Feige made it clear that he wanted Peter Parker to become his alter ego while he was still in high school. Sony and Marvel were therefore initially targeting actors between the ages of 14-18.

After underwhelming meetings with unknowns, the search was widened to boys who had somewhat of a proven track record, even at a young age. Asa Butterfield, Charlie Rowe and Matthew Lintz were among the contenders. The studio has been flying them out to Atlanta, where Marvel is filming “Captain America: Civil War,” over the last month to have them test with the actors they would be starring opposite.

Spider-Man is only expected to have a cameo in “Captain America: Civil War,” so there wasn’t a rush to make a decision since the thesp would only be shooting for about a week.
From various things I've read, Marvel and Sony may be looking to do a series of Spidey films over a shorter period of time than the typical 2-3 years between movies. Remember, Marvel is producing these for Sony, but Sony still owns the character. And it is their only big super hero property. I haven't heard anything solid, but they maybe be planing something like a high school trilogy filmed more in the fashion of the Harry Potter movies (back to back to back). That's just a rumor, but if they do something like that Holland would still just be in his early twenties several movie in. Early twenties playing late teens is pretty standard in Hollywood. Certainly better than early thirties by the second film.

It's funny, when you actually look at real 15-16 year olds, they kinda look like they're 12 by Hollywood standards. One of the young actors reportedly in the final group being considered (Matthew Lintz) was something like 14-15, but they kid looks 12. I like that they are going to focus on high school Peter, but I'll admit that I'm glad they didn't cast an actual 15 year old.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sean Bryan said:
Spider-Man is joining Marvel Studios' HIGHLY successful cinematic universe. That is a pretty big thing for fans of the movies and the genre in general. It simply wasn't going to happen without a fresh take on the character, period.

Maybe try a vitamin?

Like I said, rationalize all you want. It still amounts to a big fat yawn for me and I've enjoyed Marvel's stuff immensely so far. Vitamins won't help. ;) Personally I think that they should have just let Spider-man end where it did. At this point I've got zero interest in the film version of the character.

kathy13xia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kathy Xia
Tom Holland be the leading charactor, I ilke him a lot, he plays well in the movie The Impossible.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The last I heard it wasn't going to be an origin story since we have had 2 spider man origin stories in the past 20 years.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
DaveF said:
Is it an origin story? I hope it's an origin story. It's so hard to find SpiderMan's origin story on film.
Nope. Spidey is already up and running.

He already has a small role in Civil War. Plus, Feige explicitly said no need to do another origin story with him. He'll be early, but will already be Spidey when introduced to the MCU.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks