What's new

Ballers - Dwayne Johnson (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Interesting "former football great turned sports agent" pilot with some unexpected humor both dark and more broad. As I watched, I couldn't help to compare it to The Decline of Western Civilization: The Metal Years. Although it is not a documentary, the grandiose words and behavior of these characters is baffling, funny and compelling all at once. It shines a light on some if the destructive actions of NFL athletes -- and all of the destruction is of there own making.

HBO has a great Sunday Night on it's hands for me: True Detective S2, Ballers, The Brink and This Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I'm indifferent to the first episode- wasn't great, but didn't turn me away either. Hopefully it picks up from here...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Seems like Entourage about sports. Or an HBO'd (read: sex, violence and language) twist on USA's prior show "Necessary Roughness"

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
At least it's actually shot in Miami and has that appeal. The Florida legislature just killed any budgetary film incentives to bring (or keep) productions here, so I will savor this exotic setting while it exists... in Miami. But if it goes to a second season, watch them use second unit establishing shots to set up Florida exteriors and then shoot everything else in California (as CSI:Miami and Dexter did).

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
mattCR said:
Seems like Entourage about sports. Or an HBO'd (read: sex, violence and language) twist on USA's prior show "Necessary Roughness"
I WISH it were the Entourage of sports. So far, it's boring.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Bryan Ri said:
I WISH it were the Entourage of sports. So far, it's boring.

I'm geting the 'Necessary Roughness' feel, but I've never seen Entourage. It's missing something, but I don't know what; if it keeps going as it is, it'll get old fast.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, if it hadn't been for nostalgia seeing some of my old Miami hang outs and haunts (hey, the Biltmore this week), I would have bailed on Ballers already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks