What's new

Moving Up (Upgrade Advice) (1 Viewer)

DanOpi20

Agent
Real Name
Danny
Hey guys! I was hoping I could get some input on what you all thought would be the first piece of my system to upgrade. I'd love to give you a budget and be able to say this is exactly what i'm lacking or what I want but I really have no clue on either as of right now. I guess i'm asking if I were to upgrade something what would be the most noticeable difference and make my set up that much better? I'm sorry if this isn't clear!

TV: 51 inch Samsung Plasma
AV Receiver: Denon E300
Front: BIC America DV62
Center: BIC America DV52C
Surround: Bic America DV32
Sub: Dayton 1200

The one suggestion i've had so far is to replace my center and fronts with 3 Wavecrest HLV 1. Thoughts?

Any and all input is welcome! Thanks much!
DanOpi

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I agree with Sam that I think I would look at getting a better sub. That being said let me ask you what you don't like about system? What do you feel is lacking or could be improved about it? What is it currently not doing for you that you would like it too? Are you upgrading just to get new gear are are you upgrading for a purpose?

Answer those questions and I think you'll have a better idea of where you need to put your money.

DanOpi20

Agent
Real Name
Danny
Is db what determine the quality of a speaker? I thought that just had to do with how loud it would get.

And ArmSC I've tried to ask myself this question and I struggle to come up with an answer. It's more so I want to upgrade just because I want to. Not that i'm not happy with what I have. As far as what's lacking, I struggle to hear dialogue in some movies however I think this may just be a set up issue. My surrounds get very loud and are overpowering some of the time but this may also be because i'm in a smaller room and they are very close to me.

The other thing is when I added my sub to the system I expected a lot more and was semi disappointed about it. Over time I could pick up on it better and it became more enjoyable but still not what I expected.

The thing is I'm not looking to tear everything out with new things. I just want a new piece or two to start building a nicer set up since I'm moving into a house this fall instead of a dorm/single bedroom.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
DanOpi20 said:
Is db what determine the quality of a speaker? I thought that just had to do with how loud it would get.

The "dB" refers to the efficiency (called "sensitivity") of the speaker (the higher the number, the more efficient the speaker), but "better" speakers are generally more efficient, so in a sense, it is a pretty reliable indicator of the relative quality of a speaker. The ultimate authority, of course, being your ears.

To understand relative sensitivities, though, you need to understand that it takes double the power to produce a 3dB increase in volume (SPL). So a speaker with a sensitivity of 91dB requires half the power of a speaker with 88dB sensitivity, and one quarter of the power needed by an 85dB speaker.

I agree with the others, that your best bet for an upgrade would be a subwoofer. In addition, consider getting an SPL meter so that you can fiddle with calibrating your system yourself (don't know if your receiver has any Audyssey functionality or not - if it does, then I hope you've used it).

A properly set up system (especially if you're listening to lossless audio from Blu-ray) should not have any problems hearing dialog. That was one improvement I noticed right away when I moved from DVD to Blu-ray.

DanOpi20

Agent
Real Name
Danny
Oh okay that makes more sense now. Thank you for the explanation!

My receiver does have Audyssey and I've used it however I don't have six listening positions. I have 1 or 2 max because i'm in a small bedroom right now.

And most of my movie watching is netflix or streamed from my computer via HDMI. Just so you know.

And i'm very open to buying used or refurb to save money. I'm right around the Twin Cities if anyone of the forum has anything they don't use and think that would fit my system well.

Thanks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd say based upon what I've heard from the OP, that the advice to look at a new sub is good advice.

But I'd add that a speaker upgrade might be another thing to consider, too.

If he's happy with the AVR and TV and they are performing to his liking and have the functions he needs (which apparently he does since there are no complaints), I'd say he could get the most bang for his buck by shopping for speakers and a sub.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jason Charlton said:
but "better" speakers are generally more efficient, so in a sense, it is a pretty reliable indicator of the relative quality of a speaker. The ultimate authority, of course, being your ears.

I just wanted to interject, but that is absolutely the opposite of the truth. There are good speakers which are efficient, but in the majority of cases, better speakers are typically less efficient. What is important to consider is that going to less sensitive speakers can have a major influence on what other equipment you need to drive them properly.

I tend to agree on a better sub.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
JohnRice said:
I just wanted to interject, but that is absolutely the opposite of the truth. There are good speakers which are efficient, but in the majority of cases, better speakers are typically less efficient. What is important to consider is that going to less sensitive speakers can have a major influence on what other equipment you need to drive them properly.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I didn't emphasize enough that sensitivity on its own shouldn't be the primary criteria for choosing speakers. Room size and performance goals also come into play as well as a myriad of other factors.

In a large room and for someone that places a high value on SPL, then speaker sensitivity most definitely should be considered when making a purchase, but not all circumstances warrant the same criteria for evaluation.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I don't think you should be considering a passive subwoofer. Passive subwoofers rely on external amplification (that's why you connect them using regular speaker wire) and unless you already have an external amplifier, you shouldn't rely on your Denon receiver to power a passive subwoofer - overall performance will suffer greatly if you do.

Just to be clear - your current Dayton subwoofer is connected using a single RCA-style cable from your receiver's subwoofer pre-out to one of the RCA connections on the back of the sub, correct?

If you are currently using the Dayton as a passive subwoofer, that could be the source of your dissatisfaction with lack of bass...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just read some 8 year old posts at another forum about this sub and they were saying it was worth about $250 on the used market then. While it has a 15" driver, the excursion is the driver is very limited and it just doesn't move a lot of air. This thing will be huge in a bedroom setting without the benefit of a "huge" sub output.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you're using the Dayton with a single RCA then I would recommend getting a "y" cable for your subwoofer hookup. I know that this did make a difference in the performance of the Dayton even though you wouldn't think it would. It's worth a shot unless you're just dead set on replacing the sub which is not a terrible idea.

FYI the HSU STF-2 is on sale for $320 for father's day. Not a bad price for stepping up into a decent sub. There are many other's that you could look at too if you gave us a budget you were thinking about.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would hesitate to buy a used sub. People tend to abuse them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DanOpi20 said:
Ah didn't realize that. Oops. And yes that's correct. I'm using a single RCA cable from my receiver to my subwoofer.

What about this one? http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/5066156684.html

Any good or worth my while?
Best part of that sub...

Great box. Even if the amp/driver died, you'd have a tough time replicating that box at $200(counting making your own handiwork worth $40/hr).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
DanOpi20 said:
Thoughts on a pair of Chane A3rx-c's?
I've never heard them but they're on my list of speakers I'd love to hear. Chane is a relative new-comer. One of the partners is Jon Lane who used to run TheAudioInsider.com and was the main distributor of the highly touted Swan line of speakers. Chane's aren't the prettiest speakers out there but they've gotton excellent user reviews. One of the least expensive speakers available with a flat panel tweeter. You really should replace the cente ras well, eventually.

They do have a 30 day return policy but you pay for shipping in both directions. I believe they ship out of Reno Nevada.

Arx speakers look very interesting but also consider:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

http://www.htd.com/Products/Cabinet-Speakers

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
One of the most important parts of any system is the speakers and they can make or break a system. I would suggest you upgrade your speakers then your subwoofer. I would write down features and capabilities you would like to have then I would upgrade your receiver match it to the power handling of your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks