What's new

Simple Stereo Receiver Recommendations (1 Viewer)

sageRJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Currently I have an Onkyo TX-8255 powering my Polk RTi A3's, and Polk PSW10. I'm happy with the receiver except the need to run three times the speaker wire for speaker level input because my amp doesn't have a sub pre-out. Is simply getting the 8020 my best bet given requirements of only; $150-200, same quality, 2-channel, sub pre-out? Or has something vastly superior come out in the past 3 years I've been out of the loop?

Secondly, can someone please explain this "Onkyo's infamous loudness" issue I vaguely remember reading about back then. Is that an issue with the 8020?

Lastly, I noticed on my 8255 the bass knob affects the output of the sub AND the speakers. This confuses me. I thought one of the points of having a dedicated subwoofer included the ability to allow the speakers to output their unadulterated default bass. Is that what is happeneing when the knob is left in the center position? Or should it be turned all the way down? I doubt the latter since this seems to lower the subs output as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't have a dedicated "sub out", ergo the bass knob affects the output. The output runs to your sub...AND speakers.

Harman Kardon has had pre out/in for eons. Then...you just create your own sub connection.

Never heard of "Onkyo infamous loudness".

I don't know what else you can find

sageRJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks for the response.

Can anyone vouch for the Onkyo TX-8020? That I'll get the same quality as I do with my 8255.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks