What's new

Astronaut Wives Club (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if anyone is even interested in this summer series? As a big fan of the early space program as a child, I had to see this. It reminded me a bit of Tom Hanks From The Earth to the Moon.

One review I read I tend to agree with in that they very quickly introduce the wives and it's hard to catch who is who. It is a different take on the topic from the wives point of view and what they had to do.

But my impression is, what do the real wives think of this! I know it's based on a book, and I haven't read it. It will be interesting to see a few more episodes and see how this goes. It has great production values!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
This is being rerun tonight at 8 P.M. I meant to take a look at this to see how they handled the time-period visually, but only caught the end.

I am curious, too, as to the input/approval of the actual people named in the show. As historical figures do they have a say at all?

It is funny how so much time has passed since the Alan Shepard in space era, that it is just like 1950's TV telling stories about Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickok, or Elliot Ness.

TV news was less of a presence in the Astronaut Wives time, with the evening network news programs only being on 15 minutes a day. (The actual space shot coverage was round-the-clock.) The Today Show was around, but I guess it was LOOK, LIFE, and the women's magazines that would have put the astronaut wives in the publicity fish-bowl.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
Not sure if anyone is even interested in this summer series? As a big fan of the early space program as a child, I had to see this. It reminded me a bit of Tom Hanks From The Earth to the Moon.

One review I read I tend to agree with in that they very quickly introduce the wives and it's hard to catch who is who. It is a different take on the topic from the wives point of view and what they had to do.

But my impression is, what do the real wives think of this! I know it's based on a book, and I haven't read it. It will be interesting to see a few more episodes and see how this goes. It has great production values!
I'm enjoying it. Couldn't stand Mad Men (which this is being compared to), way to sleazy. Just a show that never clicked with me.

This is much more classy, but feels honest, with all the bitchiness yet camaraderie amongst the wives and the playboy attitudes of some of the husbands.

Definitely alot of similarity to "From the Earth to the Moon", but it's supposedly factual, so you can't change to much.

Sadly just let the Gus Grissom "blow the hatch" issue slide by with barely a mention, but it seems to be pretty realistic.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The series is about the wives, so it's not surprising they didn't cover the Grissom situation more.

There was one episode of From The Earth To The Moon that focuses on the wives as I recall.

I didn't think Mad Men was that sleazy! Agreed that this series does show the story of the wives with less of the bad behavior.

One thing I find myself doing is checking the history to read more about it. For example I wasn't aware of VP Johnson trying to visit Mrs. Glenn. Didn't know she stuttered. I'll have to look that incident up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks