What's new

Image brightness (1 Viewer)

audiomaster

Auditioning
Real Name
J Probst
Question;

What is the image brightness in a commercial Imax theater. And if I want to duplicate this level in a home theater, how do I calculate the lumen level needed from the projector for a given screen size and type?

I am in the preliminary design stage but screen size will be either 110 or 120 inches. and I want to be both 3d and 4k capable. Primarily for two people. When I visit a commercial theater, I usually sit in the row just above the middle cross aisle as I like the screen to fill most of my vision. (How someone could ever watch a movie on a tablet or smartphone is a total mystery to me)

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
After prowling around on web search results, the only mention of screen brightness I found for IMAX was from a forum post- 11 foot Lamberts. The IMAX site doesn't give much on specifications. The SMPTE recommendation for commercial cinemas is 12 to 16 fL.

The theoretical formula for calculating screen brightness in a preliminary design is: claimed projector lumens divided by screen square footage x screen gain = foot Lamberts. However, it's not that simple, since claimed projector maximum lumens is not a reliable metric, due to many factors. Also, claimed screen gain spec from manufacturers is also not a reliable metric. Varying distance from the screen to the projector lens can also affect screen brightness. If you are planning a CinemaScope aspect ratio screen, additional factors can affect final achieved screen brightness.

The solution, short of setting up and measuring actual screen brightness? Over-build the system. Projector lamps dim with age (even LED lamped models), most significantly within the first few hundred hours for non-LED lamped models. So, start with an extra bright theoretical calculated performance level of 20 fL or better.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks