What's new

First setup (1 Viewer)

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
Hi everyone, I live in Brazil and will be travelling to US in august where I plan to buy a simple system for my TV. Im planing to spend around 500~600$ total (included receiver).

Right now Im between the bose acoustimass 6 (329$ on amazon) and the polk tsi set up, the cs10 center speaker 95$ and tsi 100 boolshelfs 149$ the pair.

The small size bose would be an incredible plus, if it is not much worse than the polk.

I will power the system with an Yamaha RX-V377 (179$).

Could you please advise me if it is a good system? Sorry for my english and thank you all in advance!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I know that you're going for smaller size with your system but the Bose won't get very much love around here. What is your budget for this project? Are you using this for TV/Movies only? How large is the room that you're trying to fill?

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
Thank You for your reply. The system is for movies only. I have read that bose is too expensive for what it offers, but I was thinking about the accoustimass 6 because its on sale from 699$ to 329$. My room is small, about 4m x 4m (190 feet square), so I was thinking the polk could be too big for the room. My budget is around 600$.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think the V377 would do you fine for a simple 5.1 setup. My concern with that is how long the price is going to remain at the current level and the availability of that unit as the new AVR's are coming out soon. I wouldn't bank on the price being the same if you're holding off until Aug.

The other big issue is the speaker system. You can get the Polks but something smaller will be much easier to transport I think. The Pok TSi link are not that small of speakers. If I were you I would look at these systems that should do better than the Bose in about the same size.

1. Monoprice Premium $225 - Energy Take 5 copy at a lower price
  2. Energy Take 5 $300 - The go to small, lower cost system

3. BOSTON ACOUSTICS CS2310B $400

4. Definitive Technology ProCinema 400 $485

5. FOCAL Sib & Cub3 $500
I know that most of system are a bit above your budget but they should sound much better than the Bose set and be much smaller than the Polks.

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
Thank You very much for your help. Do you think they compare with the polks in sound quality? I might get the 5 polks and hold on until january next year to get the subwoofer if its worth. And one more question, I have a friend that I can ship the package, do you think its better to get the V377 now or wait for the new one? If its probably not that bigger improvement over the new one I would rather pay the current price.

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
I have read some reviews and looks like theCS2310B is amazing. Which one of the list would you suggest? If the focal is much better I would rather spend 100 bucks more.. I guess its better to get one of the list with the subwoofer than the polks without the sub, right?

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
Also the Boston Acoustics SoundWareXS5.1B has a lot of good reviews, have you ever listened to them?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I've heard the soundware SX but it was long time ago and from what I remember they sounded pretty good. I do think they will be better for HT use vs music because they don't go that low at all and will rely on the sub to fill in what they can't do. I also couldn't find that set new for less than $500 and I don't think it's worth it at that price. For $300 sure but not $500...for that price I would get the DT or Focal set.

Should you get the V377 now...? Yeah I would as it was $250 just a month or so ago. They are probably clearing it out for the new unit. I would expect the replacement unit to be in the $250-300 range when it comes it. Could it bring more to the table...sure it might but is it worth it? I don't think so. They might put bluetooth in it...you can get an external receiver for $30-40 which would still save you money.

Which set would I get on the list? Honestly it depends on how much you want to spend. You said $500-600 which is good and normally I don't like to go over budget but seeing that you're limited on your opportunities...I think I would probably go with one of the more expensive sets. The DT and Focal will really be at the next level compared to the Bostons. The Bostons are at the next level compared to the Monoprice and Energy. So if you can afford it go with the DT or Focal...if not go with the Bostons. I put in the others to meet your $500 budget not the $600.

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
Im going to get the receiver right now and wait if I can go to a store in Miami to listen your suggestions. If I can't, Ill probably go for the focal.. I believe its not going to be that hard to convince my wife that is worth the higher price tag in order to get the smaller size compared to the polks lol

Thanks for all your replies, extremely helpful!

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
I just hope the focal stay at 500$.. I don't want to send too much stuff to my friend's apartment..

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
It's hard to say if it will stay the price or still be in stock. The Focal set is new so that could mean they can get more stock or they got the closeouts and when they are gone they are gone. I couldn't tell you which one it is. Maybe you could call them and ask what the availability will be in a few weeks so that you'll have a better idea.

I don't think the focal set would be that bad to store if your friend had to hold on to it for a few weeks. They aren't that big to begin with and the manufacturer's package stuff pretty tight in the factory boxing.

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
Thank You all again! I have asked my friend if its going to be a problem for him to hold on the speakers. Just one more though about the receiver. Came to my attention that the 377 is not HDCP 2.2 compatible while the 379 is. Is it a better idea to get an used 379 for around 220 than a new 377 for 180(160 refurbished)? The used one is sold by amazon warehouse and is listed as a very good condition.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Daniel Pontes said:
Thank You all again! I have asked my friend if its going to be a problem for him to hold on the speakers. Just one more though about the receiver. Came to my attention that the 377 is not HDCP 2.2 compatible while the 379 is. Is it a better idea to get an used 379 for around 220 than a new 377 for 180(160 refurbished)? The used one is sold by amazon warehouse and is listed as a very good condition.
Onkyo is the only "last years" AVR with HDCP 2.2.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Daniel Pontes said:
And between the focal for 500$ and the boston acoustics sounder xs for 250, which one would you chose?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bossndwrexs51b/boston-acoustics-soundware-xs-5.1-surround-speaker-system-black/1.html

If you can afford the Focal go with the Focal. I didn't include the XS set in my list because it's a refurb set vs new. I tried to stay with new because I figured it would be easier to warranty if something went wrong.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Daniel Pontes said:

I'm thinking that you're not going to find a used 379 anytime soon as they just came out. If you want the HDCP 2.2 and the bluetooth get it new when you're here. Otherwise I would save the $100 and get the 377. Upgrade next year with the money you saved this year. AVR's are always changing so I say spend the money on speakers (Focal set) and get the less expensive AVR now. Upgrade that later when the tech gets cheaper.

Daniel Pontes

Auditioning
Real Name
daniel pontes
ArmSC said:
I'm thinking that you're not going to find a used 379 anytime soon as they just came out. If you want the HDCP 2.2 and the bluetooth get it new when you're here. Otherwise I would save the $100 and get the 377. Upgrade next year with the money you saved this year. AVR's are always changing so I say spend the money on speakers (Focal set) and get the less expensive AVR now. Upgrade that later when the tech gets cheaper.

Thank You again. Already purchased the 377 from amazon. Now for the speakers, someone advised me to get the NHT SuperZero 2.1, how do you think they compare to the focal? He advised me to get superZero front speakers and go cheap on the rear that I could upgrade later. As for the sub he advised me to get the MartinLogan Dynamo 300. What do You think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks