What's new

3d and kids is it dangerous? (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
We just bought a 3d capable HDTV. I have heard and read that kids under six are at risk for damage to eyes while watching 3d. I was curious if the community has any experience with this? The research I've done is inconclusive and states that the study performed is vague and unsubstantiated. Any thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just like potty training...

Not all kids get full depth perception at the same age. Some as young as 4. Not unheard of to not have full depth perception by 10.

3D is one tool used to establish "lazy eye".

But nobody should view 3D routinely if they have poor depth perception...regardless if they are 3 or 13.

By the way, I have a rare eye issue that precludes me from watching static images. Because of it, while I don't have issues with 3D...means my "intently watching the screen" causes the problem...ergo, I don't watch 3D...as there are times during watching I actually shut my eyes if a lingering static shot.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Sorry I neglected to mention the study stating there is a possibility of damage was claimed by other articles to be unsubstantiated and vague. What would you suggest to be a good course of action? Try it out and see how they do? Would I notice the problems myself? Or is this something that only a doctor world notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks