What's new

Think I Blew Out Energy Take Classic Subwoofer - Need Recommended Replacement (1 Viewer)

ClevelandSound

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hello all! It's been a while since I last posted here.

I recently noticed that my Energy Take Classic system was a bit lacking on the lower end, so I tried re-running Audyssey to see if something changed somehow. During the sound test, it got to my subwoofer, and I heard nothing. I checked to make sure that it was on (it was), and noticed that I could hear the slightest bump coming out of it during the sound test. I unplugged the RCA and tried again. Still, just a very faint beating noise during the test. I tried resetting the microprocessor a few times, and that provided the same results. I am assuming that I blew out the subwoofer at one point or another while playing video games or watching a movie. I am using a Denon AVR-1613, and all of the other speakers run fine and sound great.

With that being said, I am currently looking into a budget replacement subwoofer. I'd like to keep it around $100. With some research that I have done myself, it seems as though the Polk Audio PSW10 would be a good option. Is there any other choices that I should consider, or any reasons that I shouldn't get the PSW10?

Thanks ahead of time!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BIC F12
Dayton sub1500

Either of those is a monumental improvement over the sub you had...and the PSW10.

I, personally, wouldn't go any bigger/more powerful than those two until you buy larger main speakers capable of 80hz.

The bigger/better subs typically fall on their face trying to get up to 120/150hz.

ClevelandSound

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I don't think they would be bad if you're going for HT use. HT demands lower bass extension than most music so the larger subs would be better in that roll. However, just keep in mind how well those sub play in the upper xover region. The xover point you have set could really effect the experience you have with either of those subs.

For example the Energy Take classics low end is listed at 115Hz but they don't give a +/- so lets assume that's -6dB. What that means is you're really probably getting 120Hz usable which means you'll want your sub to come up to that level. This is pretty high for a larger budget sub. The smaller ones (think 8") shouldn't have too much of a problem with that high of a level.

So what I'm saying is that you could get a nice upgrade to your HT setup if either of those subs can reach up to the 120Hz mark and sound good doing it. Either of them might do very well reaching up that high. I don't know because I haven't looked into how they sound on the upper end of their range. I will tell you that the BIC is normally the go to budget sub for HT use and the NXG has gotten some good reviews on it's performance. It was said to be the best sub $400 unit a few months back by a credible source. What I don't know is how well they will integrate with your system.

I just noticed the price of the NXG is back to the $250 mark which might be above your budget of $200. Keep that in mind when making your decision. At $180 it was way more appealing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The cheaper Polk sub I bought for my parents' entry-level HT sounds far better than the more expensive ones I've purchased for myself from Lava or Yamaha. I'm on the verge of getting a Polk for myself.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Malcolm R said:
The cheaper Polk sub I bought for my parents' entry-level HT sounds far better than the more expensive ones I've purchased for myself from Lava or Yamaha. I'm on the verge of getting a Polk for myself.

I was actually impressed with the PSW111 for it's size. It punches above it's weight class especially if you factor in price IMO. It would be on my short list if I was the OP. The PSW10 not as much...I would rather get something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks