What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Island of Dr. Moreau -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

In Don Taylor's 1977 AIP remake of the classic H.G. Wells tome looks great on Blu-ray.  I was expecting a less than stellar product, and will very pleasantly surprised.

Half the battle in releasing a quality Blu-ray, especially when you're a sub-licensee, like a Kino, TT or Olive, is the simple luck of the draw.

How decent a master has been produced by the licensor?  How good was the element from which an image was harvested, be it an OCN, an IP, a dupe, or a dupe of a dupe?

In this case everyone's luck seems to be running well.  TIoDM appears to be taken from a quality IP.  Color, densities, shadow detail, overall resolution, and image stability are all very positive.

While I'm a sucker for anything with Mr. Lancaster, I still prefer the 1932 Island of Lost Souls, with Charles Laughton.

Makes an interesting evening now that you have the ability to compare and contrast.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I haven't seen this version since its initial release in theaters. I'll have to check it out!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The 1996 version with Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer is also worth seeing for the sheer spectacle. A strange disaster of a film that has a hypnotic lure about it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Agree. It's a train wreck, but you can't look away, and there are some good creepy moments.

As one who has never seen the Lancaster version (why not?? -- that indeed would be reason enough), this is welcome news!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm glad we lucked out on the '77 Dr. Moreau; it really is a crapshoot with these MGM titles. Most look decent, a fair number look soft but, tbh, I generally haven't been blown away by anything PQ-wise. I accept that this is the best these films will likely ever look and I can live with that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It all comes down to the archival ethics of the copyright holder or studio.

While some continue to invest in their library's infrastructure, preserving and restoring (where necessary) title by title, others seem to be in constant rape and plunder mode.

RAH

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Dr Griffin said:
The 1996 version with Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer is also worth seeing for the sheer spectacle. A strange disaster of a film that has a hypnotic lure about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary on the disastrous making of this particular adaptation:

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Soul-The-Doomed-Journey-of-Richard-Stanleys-Island-of-Dr-Moreau-Blu-ray/dp/B00YXRPP6K?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-012-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00YXRPP6K&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Oblivion138 said:

I saw an article on this a few weeks back in, I think, Entertainment Weekly - an interesting tale worth telling.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dr Griffin said:
What makes this otherwise misguided (by John Frankenheimer, no less) film worth owning for me is the hyperkinetic main title sequence -- a brilliant three-minute minimovie that perfectly combines staccato editing, pulse-pounding music and a perfect rhythmic build to an almost sweat-inducing climax, all at the service of a visual essay about man's impulsive screwing with genetics. I can't find a credit for this sequence, but whoever put it together deserved an Oscar (unfortunately, as opposed to The Emmy t.v. productions, no awards are given for theatrical movie title sequences). There is no moment in the subsequent 93 minutes that comes close to its quality and intensity. What a let-down!

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I love this film as well as ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (which is superior). The Marlon Brando version is like watching a trainwreck. Apparently Brando refused to memorize any dialogue and just said whatever came to mind and it looks like it. I'm thrilled this is a good transfer. I remember seeing it as a child and loved it! Thanks, Mr. Harris!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Dick said:
What makes this otherwise misguided (by John Frankenheimer, no less) film worth owning for me is the hyperkinetic main title sequence -- a brilliant three-minute minimovie that perfectly combines staccato editing, pulse-pounding music and a perfect rhythmic build to an almost sweat-inducing climax, all at the service of a visual essay about man's impulsive screwing with genetics. I can't find a credit for this sequence, but whoever put it together deserved an Oscar (unfortunately, as opposed to The Emmy t.v. productions, no awards are given for theatrical movie title sequences). There is no moment in the subsequent 93 minutes that comes close to its quality and intensity. What a let-down!

Concerning the 1996 version -

After subsequently learning of the myriad problems behind the scenes of this film, I appreciated it more. I am not saying the film seemed better, I appreciated the historical disaster aspect more. Script and dialogue changes on set during filming required Brando to use an earpiece to help him remember the ongoing changes. There were multiple power struggles during production, involving actors, producers, writers and directors. A disappointment no doubt, but a strangely interesting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks