What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kingsman: The Secret Service -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I missed Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman, when it arrived theatrically in February.  My schedule, combined with some less than stellar opinions about the concept, the film, and its unrestrained violence had me place it on the back burner.

Big mistake.

My son asked if I was getting the Blu-ray, and suggested that I take a look.  I suppose it's because he knows that I'm appreciative of bespoke English clothing and pugs.

So I gave it a try.

And what I've come away with from the 129 minutes viewing the film, is that it's probably the most entertaining modern film that I've seen in ages.

If you know your cinema, and appreciate its history, you'll find that everything comes together in an orgy of intelligent filmmaking.

Think of it this way.

Combine Pygmalion, or My Fair Lady mit out music, with a large dose of Peckinpah at his best -- let's say c. 1967 -- a wonderful dose of Mr. Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove...

and combine it with the best of Bond.  Not the new ones -- those multi-hundred million dollar bloated affairs, but rather the real Bonds.  Think the best of Mr. Connery, possibly Goldfinger or From Russia.

Imagine Colin Firth as that Bond, as a part of a true secret service, with all of the funding...

and those toys at their disposal.

For those who were offended by the uber-violence of the Kentucky church sequence, I fear they were not in on the joke, or possibly lacked the ability to communicate with their true inner Peckinpah.

To me, Kingsman: The Secret Service, is a 129 love poem to the best of cinema's spy movies, combined with the best of political thrillers, all put together for consummate fun and entertainment.

As a Blu-ray, Fox's presentation is perfect.  It should be, as its derived from Alexa data files. Audio is huge 7.1.

If you love the real Bond films, and others I've discussed above, along with a good dose of entertainment from the minds who brought you Kick-Ass, Kingsman is for you.  

Taron Egerton is a wonderful Eliza.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

Superb entertainment value.  For those who also missed this film in theaters, the Blu-ray can be yours for about the same price as a movie ticket.  And you can share it with a friend.

Note: I attempted to write this piece with an affected speech impediment, but it didn't work.

RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I enjoyed Kingsman: The Secret Service more than the last 3 Bond films put together.

THE gentleman spy homage to end all gentleman spy homages.

Thank you sir. May I have another?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just watched this as well.

All the butt hurt(alluding to that as well...) about the church scene. Pure awesome.

Two strong females that don't have stupid stuff in the way.

And...that was a great end...

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Loved this in the theater. Huge fun. Matt Vaughn is just a great director all around, and he always scores big when adapting Mark Millar's work for the screen. Will be a treat to pick this up on BD, though I haven't gotten to it yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RAH,

I completely delighted that you feel the same way I did about this film.

It fell under my radar. And, honestly, when the Blu-ray was announced I wasn't certain I was going to purchase it.

However, I did a blind purchase and last Tuesday, I spent the morning viewing this disc.

From start to finish, this film is a joy ride. As you put it, it is superb entertainment value.

I don't have much faith in today's filmmaking. I tend to buy the classics more than new releases. However, once in a great while, there comes a film out of nowhere that just knocks your socks off and begs for repeated viewing. I will be watching KINGSMEN over and over again for years to come.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I really liked this film. I saw it in the theater, and Fox's BD is sitting with me now. I think I shall watch it again--it will be interesting to see if my opinion changes.

schan1269 said:
I just watched this as well.

All the butt hurt(alluding to that as well...) about the church scene. Pure awesome.

Two strong females that don't have stupid stuff in the way.

And...that was a great end...

Assuming you mean the very end, I never understood the hate for that from Americans (and afterwards, some English "American-follower" types) anyway. I thought it was funny, sexy, and maybe actually empowering for women, and I was really stunned to see so many people take offense.

I can't help thinking that if the princess had been a prince, there would be no problem with the joke at all.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
McCrutchy said:
I really liked this film. I saw it in the theater, and Fox's BD is sitting with me now. I think I shall watch it again--it will be interesting to see if my opinion changes.

Assuming you mean the very end, I never understood the hate for that from Americans (and afterwards, some English "American-follower" types) anyway. I thought it was funny, sexy, and maybe actually empowering for women, and I was really stunned to see so many people take offense.

I can't help thinking that if the princess had been a prince, there would be no problem with the joke at all.
End...I meant all three(2 in one...so to speak)...

If it had been a prince...talk about an "oh, hai..." moment*...

Eggsy did give me a switchmen vibe...of sorts.

*And that would would have fit just as well with the discussion with that fine church parishioner...

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Robert Harris said:
Totally neglected a tip of the fine bespoke English hat to the great Lotte Lenya...

I wonder if the Swedish princess is really one of Rosa Klebb's agents in disguise?

...or maybe, it's Klebb herself?

Suddenly I'm understanding why people didn't like the ending--they saw through Klebb's Swedish princess disguise. What a fool I've been, not to notice the obvious.

Now when I see the last shot, I'm going to yell out "SMERSH!" at the screen loud enough for Eggsy to (hopefully) hear it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
McCrutchy said:
I wonder if the Swedish princess is really one of Rosa Klebb's agents in disguise?

...or maybe, it's Klebb herself?

Suddenly I'm understanding why people didn't like the ending--they saw through Klebb's Swedish princess disguise. What a fool I've been, not to notice the obvious.

Now when I see the last shot, I'm going to yell out "SMERSH!" at the screen loud enough for Eggsy to (hopefully) hear it.
If that were the case...

Something else would have been proferred...and a spitoon would have been nearby...

bluraypandey

Auditioning
Real Name
DGC
$12.49 at Target this week, plus another 10% off with their Cartwheel app. Kind of a no-brainer for the most entertaining movie of 2015 so far.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Ronald Epstein said:
RAH,

I completely delighted that you feel the same way I did about this film.

It fell under my radar. And, honestly, when the Blu-ray was announced I wasn't certain I was going to purchase it.

However, I did a blind purchase and last Tuesday, I spent the morning viewing this disc.

From start to finish, this film is a joy ride. As you put it, it is superb entertainment value.

I don't have much faith in today's filmmaking. I tend to buy the classics more than new releases. However, once in a great while, there comes a film out of nowhere that just knocks your socks off and begs for repeated viewing. I will be watching KINGSMEN over and over again for years to come.

I have the same reaction about the modern films. I saw Kingsman in the theatre and enjoyed it very much. I think I had recommended it to you.. you said you were going to wait.. same with ex machina and mad max.. not saying there is anything wrong with waiting.. sometimes its possible to miss some new classics. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. wait until you see mad max.. you will regret more if you miss it in the theatre.

Jacob

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
McCrutchy said:

I did not care for the "end joke". I thought they went a joke too far. It would have been more appropriate for Archer - The Movie.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
David_B_K said:
I did not care for the "end joke". I thought they went a joke too far. It would have been more appropriate for Archer - The Movie.
Maybe that is what they were going for...

Besides, the word used would have been Archer.

There are way more elegant ways it could have been said. I'm just surprised he didn't grab some butter...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
On the strength of RAH's recommendation I took advantage of Target's sale and blind bought this BD.

What a treat! I could have used a lot less of the language but the film itself was very entertaining and offered a good story to along with the action. The violence was over the top cartoonish and when viewed in that context didn't bother me.

Safely worth the $12.49 investment for those on the fence in my opinion.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
bluraypandey said:
$12.49 at Target this week, plus another 10% off with their Cartwheel app. Kind of a no-brainer for the most entertaining movie of 2015 so far.

Glad I saw your post here...I wasn't planning on going to Target at all this week. But for that price, I had to stop in. Was hoping to snag this for $15 somewhere soon, so this is a damn good price.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I gave my money to Target. They're the reason it's $12.49 on Amazon, so I'll reward them for it.

(Plus Target is on the way home from work ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks