What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dog Soldiers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers is a low budget film with a huge fan base.  And rightfully so.  It's one of those little films that shines beyond it's budget.

Scream Factory's new Blu-ray is as good as the master that was supplied to them, which is unfortunate, as the film's owners really need to go back to the basics.

In this case, the original 16mm elements.

While you can get a quality blow-up to 35mm from 16 A & B rolls, this is a case where the generational loss has left its mark, and things are on the dupey side.

That said, people who purchase this probably won't give a werewolf's whisker, and will be happy to have a decent looking Blu-ray, which this is.

Color is on the murky side.  Black levels are off.  Shadow detail is practically non-existent...

but no matter.

It's Dog Soldiers on Blu-ray, with a host of special features, and for under twenty bucks...

Image - 2.5

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - just passable

My advice is to pull the 16 elements, and scan them for future use.

RAH

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disappointing to hear about the quality issues, but this is a favorite of mine so I'll still pick it up.

I love werewolf films and this is one of the few recent werewolf films where they have actual werewolves and not just people turning into regular wolves or just pasting some shaggy facial hair on the actor's face and calling it good enough.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
I tried my best, but I could only threaten them away from using an SD source. I couldn't threaten Shout into being a technically superior company.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the original 16mm elements are "lost" and they had to use a couple of 35mm theatrical prints. Kind of shocking that a film this recent could have "lost" original film elements.

Vincent

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
They were gonna use an SD master though, so they "tried".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It does seem odd that master elements of a recent film that was well-received with potential additional home video releases on the horizon would have been "misplaced". Kind of makes me wonder how hard they looked for them.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
There's always the possibility that they're not so much "lost" as "unavailable" due to overdue lab or storage fees.

Vincent

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Vincent_P said:
There's always the possibility that they're not so much "lost" as "unavailable" due to overdue lab or storage fees.

Vincent
Yeah, that was another possibility that crossed my mind, that they're being held hostage by someone.

I'm kind of reconsidering whether I need this or not. I already own two DVD releases (US and UK versions). Is there enough improvement in presentation or extras to warrant buying this BR release? Based on RH's assessment, it doesn't sound like anything has been gained in presentation.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recorded this in HD off of Channel 4 last year, it looks very good, nice film grain present and good encoding despite the lower TV bitrate, in the UK we get 1080i broadcasts and higher bitrates than USA equivalent channels, i mention this because the new Shout release looks nothing like that HD broadcast, there is detail loss because of contrast boosting, it just doesn't look right.

The Canadian blu ray looks like an upscale and has lots of edge enhancement, the original UK DVD looks good, no excessive EE for a DVD but the bitrate doesn't allow the film grain to shine and its all a bit noisy but still good for a DVD.

I'm going to keep my Channel 4 HD recording, very good image quality and it blows this new blu ray release away.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
FoxyMulder said:
I'm going to keep my Channel 4 HD recording, very good image quality and it blows this new blu ray release away.

Care to share some caps?

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Not to mention, the one scene that's supposed to be dusk re-timed (either correctly to incorrectly) to now look like daytime. And werewolves don't attack in the daytime...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Vincent_P said:
Apparently the original 16mm elements are "lost" and they had to use a couple of 35mm theatrical prints. Kind of shocking that a film this recent could have "lost" original film elements.

Vincent

That's shocking. I worked at the lab/facility house that did the film work, in fact I transferred more than a few rolls of rushes. Nothing wrong with the original photography. The transfer for the UK DVD was also done there, from the interpositive (the interpos was 16mm & the 35mm interneg blow-up was done from that). Of course the lab has since closed down, but haven't they all! Judging by the caps I've seen, it looks a projection print has been used, with the grain & the blown whites, I'm not saying that's what happened (I don't know), but that's how it looks to me. But then, I just don't believe that the 16mm cut negatives are lost.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bgart13 said:
Care to share some caps?

Unfortunately its on a hard drive which only the Samsung plasma can read, if you know of any software i could use to get such caps off this hard drive then i would take some for you.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Not to defend Shout! or anything but Dog Soldiers has ALWAYS looked terrible.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lord Dalek said:
Not to defend Shout! or anything but Dog Soldiers has ALWAYS looked terrible.

I disagree, one person's terrible is another person's art.

We should separate the opinion of looking terrible and something that has been manipulated to try and make it look different to how it originally looked, i will take a warts and all transfer over a contrast boosted one which alters colours and loses detail, it doesn't matter if that contrast boosting comes because someone hasn't made the necessary alterations to fix whatever issues come from using a 35mm print or whether its because someone just thought contrast boosting was the in-thing, i don't care, it's not good.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm wondering why the existing HD master in the U.K. that FoxyMulder recorded wasn't used.

Vincent

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
TravisR said:
For what it's worth, this title was delayed for months (maybe even almost a year) so they must have tried to do something in that time.

That's what I was wondering. Shame that after the delay it still looks crap. I may pick it up as an upgrade to the DVD I have, if the price drops. Currently amazon.ca price is ridiculous if it's this quality.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Scream posted this comment from Neil Marshall on their facebook page:
It seems myself and Scream Factory have been experiencing some major flack regarding the Dog Soldiers blu-ray release. So I figure I should fill in a bit of background here. First of all, I wholeheartedly support the Scream Factory release. The previous blu-ray (not available in the UK) was made without any involvement from me, and I remember when it came out the general consensus was that the picture quality was not great. All credit to Scream Factory for wanting to involve the film-maker in this process as much as possible.

When they first announced this blu-ray release last year, the original plan was to work with me to create a whole bunch of original extras based on new interviews with all the key cast and crew, but that the movie itself would essentially be the same version as last time. I asked them to delay the release because I felt that we could do better for the fans and try and track down some original film elements to make a fresh HD transfer. Since the movie never received a theatrical release in the US (although I believe it screened at The Egyptian for a week) I knew we’d have to turn to the UK to find the best possible elements available. What I didn’t know was that after an exhaustive search I’d discover the original negative was nowhere to be found. Neither the UK producer, distributor or film processing lab has any idea where the negative is. Without it we simply could not achieve the kind of high quality HD transfer I would have wished to deliver. Instead we managed to get hold of 2 original cinema prints, and despite being 13 years old and having a few scratches here and there, they represent the most accurate version of the original theatrical release that we could find.

However, as close as they are, they are just cinema prints, and in terms of colour timing for the new blu-ray we were limited to the parameters of the print itself. Which means, in basic terms, if the contrast is high on the print and the blacks are crushed (as indeed they are) then there is no more visual information to be gained from them. You can’t brighten up the image and see what’s hidden in the darkness like you can when you’re working from the negative or from digital. All that will happen is that the black will turn to grey and just give the movie a washed out flat look.

Another issue seems to be that one scene in particular now seems to be a daytime scene when it used to be a nighttime scene. Well, this is wrong on both counts. It’s meant to be a dusk scene, and since it features shots of the sunset then it’s graded accordingly - with a warm sunset glow that then gets cooler and darker as it fades into night. Again, this is all taken directly from the print. It was never intended to have such an extreme dark blue tint over it. We had major continuity issues filming this sequence because the weather kept changing from dull grey and rainy to bright sunlight. This is far from ideal for pulling off convincing day-for-night photography.

Like it or not, when the movie was originally released in the UK in 2002, the blacks were crushed, the contrast was high, the colours were rich and the image was grainy as fuck, because let’s not forget, this movie was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. So under no circumstances was a blu-ray of this movie ever going to look as smooth and pristine as a movie shot on 35mm or any of the hi-res digital formats we use today. In fact, transferring it to HD actually highlights the grain just as it does any other detail, so this version inherently looks more grainy than before. It’s unavoidable unless you have the money to do a full restoration and clean-up, but again, you need the negative for that.

So, is this version of Dog Soldiers the best it could ever be? No. Of course not. If we had the negative and a shit-load of cash we could have done a lot better. Is it the best it could be under the circumstances? Yes. Will it appeal to everybody? No. But that's movies for you!

At the end of the day everybody involved, myself included, put in a lot of work to give the fans a blu-ray worth forking out their hard-earned cash for. And nobody involved, myself included, got paid anything for doing it. There are no royalties, ancillaries or anything else. This is not an attempt to exploit the fans. It was, on my part, an attempt to give the fans something new and unique, and not simply a repackaged version of what’s already out there.

NEIL MARSHALL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks