What's new

Dolby Atmos Ads Affecting Usability of the Site (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The new Dolby Atmos ads are having a strongly negative effect on the usability of the site. There is a 185 pixel stretch of empty black on the left side of the left Atmos ad and a 209 pixel stretch of empty black on the right side of the right Atmos ad. The site itself is crammed into the middle of the screen, taking up just half of the width of the window. Certainly elements of the site aren't displaying quite correctly as a result of the site being more horizontally compressed than designed for.

The Dolby Atmos ads themselves don't bother me, but is there anyway you can get rid of the unnecessary empty space of the outside edges of them?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We have temporarily switched back until this is implemented, in the interest of not ruining your experiences. Thank you all for your patience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave:

I'm still seeing the Atmos ads when I click on the "Content I Follow" link.

I'm not seeing the wasted space alongside the ads as Adam reports...but here is what I see:

gallery_286742_34_341277.jpg

(Click on the link to make the image larger.)

As you can see, things don't fit quite right.

Oh. and I also saw the ads on all the pages as I was uploading this image into my gallery.

Hope that helps.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Mike Frezon said:
Dave:

I'm still seeing the Atmos ads when I click on the "Content I Follow" link.

I'm not seeing the wasted space alongside the ads as Adam reports...but here is what I see:

gallery_286742_34_341277.jpg

(Click on the link to make the image larger.)

As you can see, things don't fit quite right.

Oh. and I also saw the ads on all the pages as I was uploading this image into my gallery.

Hope that helps.

I am getting the same Mike is referring to.

Raul

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just checked "My Gallery," too (since I saw the ads there, too, last night).

But all seems right there now, too.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's going to be turned back on shortly. We've fixed it so the forum now stretches as wide as your monitor is (up to 1920 pixels wide max). This should help some, but for those with old computers and low res monitors, you may experience slightly decreased usability.

Dave

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's still not ideal, but it's MUCH improved over the original iteration. I realize ad campaigns like this are the occasional price we have to pay to keep a vibrant community like HTF afloat. Thanks for your diligence in mitigating the disruption as much as possible.

htf-atmos.png

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Adam - thank you. We try our best to strike a balance, but as this will be up for the next couple of weeks, we really don't want to impact you guys too much.

If you are a member with more than 100 posts and you are having issues, please PM me personally so I can assist.

Thank you all for your support!

Dave

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
And a quick reminder that if you're seeing formatting errors in your browser, on Windows systems press CTRL+F5 - this forces the browser to reload all the web page elements from scratch, whereas a normal refresh often does not.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
It still look terrible to me. The Dolby Atmos ad is taking up 1/3 of the screen, and all of the forum content is squeezed. It also negatively affects the formatting of the reviews.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
You both have very low resolution monitors. Unfortunately, not much I can do to fix that. Shoot me a PM.

Dave

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Yeah, that's extremely low by modern standards i'm afraid so there's no way to design around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks