What's new

Problems adding TV Audio to Home Theatre (1 Viewer)

RaguT

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Thomas
Hi Folks, just new on here but would really appreciate your help.

I have recently bought a Panasonic Viera TX-50as500b. I have tried to play tv audio from this to my Samsung 5.1 ch Blu Ray Entertainmant System (HT-E5500) by connecting an optical audio cable between the 2, and switching my blu ray player to “digital audio in” funtion. However, this is not working. Are there settings that I need to change on the TV in order for the audio to be played?

I have tried attaching an extra HDMI to use ARC, and have tried changing the speaker setting from “tv speaker" to “ headphones” (these are the only 2 options) but to no avail.

The sound works fine through my blu ray player when watching a DVD or Blu ray, but I just cant get TV audio to work.

As I say, any help would be greatly appreciated as its really starting to do my head in!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What you've done should have worked. It might be a bad optical cable. When you're watching a station, disconnect the cable from the Panny, is there light coming through the cable? If there is, you may want t call Panasonic tech support, or just return it. If not, try a new cable.

Also, just to be safe, make sure the ARC HDMI isn't plugged in (in some cases a device may turn off the optical/coax if the HDMI is present).

RaguT

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Thomas
Thanks for the reply.

I did notice on some other posts that connecting hdmi might disable the optical connection, but I didn't attach it until after I had already tried optical, so don't think it could be that
I haven't had a look at the end of the cable yet, but will do this when I get home.
Thanks again

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Another question - what is the source of the audio you're trying to get out of the TV?

If you're trying to get audio from the built-in smart apps, you should know that some TVs do not output app audio at all. I know it sounds strange, but that's the case sometimes. It's trapped in the TV with no way to get it to any outboard device.

If you have cable or satellite (possibly from a set top box), then you could also try running audio directly from the STB to the Samsung unit.

RaguT

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Thomas
Hi Jason, thanks for the reply.

The TV has built in freeview hd, so I am just trying to watch normal channels. I have flicked through different ones and still nothing.i haven't actually tried it with any of the apps. Also I don't have a sky box or anything like that, so I can't even try connecting to any other source.

As far as I can see I have followed all the necessary steps, so unless Al is correct and the optical cable is faulty, I don't understand why it isn't working. I only bought the cable yesterday so would hope that it should be ok.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks