What's new

TCM / Fathom Summer Series (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Just got this e-mail. Not exactly all summer. Sorry for the misleading topic heading.

Kicking off a blockbuster summer, Fathom Events and Turner Classic Movies are thrilled to bring eight American film classics back to the big screen for special two-day events.

Each event will include a specially produced introduction and post film recap from TCM host Robert Osborne or Ben Mankiewicz, who will take audiences behind the scenes of these iconic titles, showcasing exclusive interviews, historical retrospectives and unique insights into the making of these timeless classics.

0EFfbl79DU5Urt9IxuvJiKFw-5oi4toLkzyIkFrcodleHPSJQUUCA6ePB5ardoyagAh3lQTExmsomiX2l42C6jp6eLLPIblYhaVjbyJ-tvKwy0TCL_KPNatCMzRF=s0-d-e1-ft

Jaws 40th Anniversary
Sunday, June 21 and Wednesday, June 24

Double Indemnity
Sunday, July 19 and Monday, July 20

Grease Sing-A-Long
Sunday, August 16 and Wednesday, August 19

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho
Sunday, September 20 and Wednesday, September 23

Dracula / Drácula: Double Feature
Sunday, October 25 and Wednesday, October 28

Roman Holiday
Sunday, November 29 and Tuesday, December 1

Miracle On 34th Street
Sunday, December 20 and Wednesday, December 23

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I guess this makes many of us wonder just when the Fathom event for MY FAIR LADY is going to occur so we can get the blu ray of the new restoration.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Jaws would be fun to revisit on the big screen after all these years. First movie where I almost threw up. PG my ass! Thanks Steven! :lol:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
Jaws would be fun to revisit on the big screen after all these years. First movie where I almost threw up. PG my ass! Thanks Steven! :lol:
Jaws plays in theaters near me once or twice a year* and I can say that it's definitely worth seeing in a theater because the movie still works great. People laugh, they scream, it's a ton of fun seeing it with a crowd.

* I've seen it in theaters probably about 10 times and considering that the movie is a few years older than me, I think that's pretty impressive.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I just wish they would state what kind of print Jaws will be DVD? Blu Ray ? 2K, 4K??

I've heard horror stories about Fathom showings being less than acceptable.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TravisR said:
Jaws plays in theaters near me once or twice a year* and I can say that it's definitely worth seeing in a theater because the movie still works great. People laugh, they scream, it's a ton of fun seeing it with a crowd.

* I've seen it in theaters probably about 10 times and considering that the movie is a few years older than me, I think that's pretty impressive.

I'm actually thinking about doing the Sunday and Wednesday show on this one.

I've never had a problem with the Fathom events outside of, for some reason, the movies not starting on time due to some digital issue but this seems to have been fixed over the past couple years. Cinemark continue to show "classic" movies around the calendar and while the attendance isn't great I love it. Caught FULL METAL JACKET, TOOTSIE and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA last time. This time out they've got THE TERMINATOR, SPACEBALL, GREMLINS and of course the couple posted here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've had a theater use a crappy pre-show projector and I've had a theater use a real projector. By no means do I say this with authority but I think if you get a lackluster presentation, it's the fault of the theater rather than Fathom.

There's an independent theater near me playing Jaws on the same Wednesday and even at the same time as the local megaplex/Fathom event. They announced they were playing it months before the Fathom one was announced so given the competition of the chain theater, it's some really bad luck on their part. I'll probably see the Fathom one on Sunday and then go to the independent on Wednesday.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Michael Elliott said:

I've never had a problem with the Fathom events outside of, for some reason, the movies not starting on time due to some digital issue but this seems to have been fixed over the past couple years. Cinemark continue to show "classic" movies around the calendar and while the attendance isn't great I love it. Caught FULL METAL JACKET, TOOTSIE and BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA last time. This time out they've got THE TERMINATOR, SPACEBALL, GREMLINS and of course the couple posted here.
Yeah but what kind of prints were they?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I can only speak for the movies I watched but they were the best I had ever seen them look. Of course we're not getting 35mm prints but I'd say they're at least screening the Blu-rays. The Cinemark screenings are a bit different since they only run the movie (no trailers, ads). I don't think you'll need to worry about quality. Plus, the real thrill is just getting to see them on a big screen again.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Saw Jaws tonight....but there was no pre-movie introduction. Print quality was pretty good. VERY much looking forward to seeing Double Indemnity next month!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
EricSchulz said:
Saw Jaws tonight....but there was no pre-movie introduction. Print quality was pretty good. VERY much looking forward to seeing Double Indemnity next month!
Your theater cheated you then as there was a pre and post movie comments at my showing from Ben Mankiewicz.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope they continue/expand this program. The only "revival" theater in Milwaukee has closed and I love seeing these classics on the big screen.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Erik, go to Cinemark's website and see if they have a theater near you. They play classic titles all year long. I saw HOW THE WEST WAS WON earlier in the year and it's certainly a different experience on the big screen. They're doing mostly "newer" movies this time out but they show older ones as well.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Erik, go to Cinemark's website and see if they have a theater near you. They play classic titles all year long. I saw HOW THE WEST WAS WON earlier in the year and it's certainly a different experience on the big screen. They're doing mostly "newer" movies this time out but they show older ones as well.

Thanks! I'm moving to Chicago later this summer so that will help....I'm about a mile and a half from the Music Box Theater on Southport!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm, there were no pre- or post-show clips at our Jaws screening the other day. Oh well.

EDIT: Crap, they showed The Terminator a week ago? Missed it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Aaron Silverman said:
Hm, there were no pre- or post-show clips at our Jaws screening the other day. Oh well.

EDIT: Crap, they showed The Terminator a week ago? Missed it.
Did you see the TCM event or just a regular Jaws screening?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks