What's new

Keeping Track Of Your Collection (1 Viewer)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I hope this is the right place to put this. If you're really anal about keeping track of your collection, let's say you have a list of all your movies in the order in which you get them. And let's say that a movie you got a few years ago needs replacing. Would you keep the same old listing from years ago, or would you create a new listing ?

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just as a matter of interest, why would you keep a list in that order? My lists are alphabetized, and divided by category ... drama, musicals, etc. And even that way I sometimes find I've ordered something I already have. In answer to your question, however, I'd put a note at the beginning of the lists saying: * REPLACED. Then add the asterisk on the old listing and put the new copy at the head of the list. But that's only my suggestion.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'm a bit OCD. I like to keep track of when I get things...mainly dvds and blu-rays. Funnily enough, I don't categorize my video games that way. I have a written list (well, typed and stored on computer) as well as I use DVD Profiler, where I can organize the list however I like.

I don't put them on the shelves in order of when I got them. I have a shelf for my Doctor Who dvds, the next shelf is Disney, the next shelf is 80s cartoons and tv shows, and a shelf for random stuff that doesn't fit into any particular category. On the shelves on the wall, I have a big shelf for big box sets and collections, the next shelf is random and "spooky" stuff, the next shelf is childhood favourites and cheesy sci-fi stuff, the next shelf is more childhood stuff, the next shelf is Christmas movies, next is tv movies and season sets of shows, and the last shelf is stuff I probably won't watch for a LONG time but don't want to get rid of.

My blu-rays are separate for some reason.
PODER said:
Just as a matter of interest, why would you keep a list in that order? My lists are alphabetized, and divided by category ... drama, musicals, etc. And even that way I sometimes find I've ordered something I already have. In answer to your question, however, I'd put a note at the beginning of the lists saying: * REPLACED. Then add the asterisk on the old listing and put the new copy at the head of the list. But that's only my suggestion.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Spottedfeather said:
I hope this is the right place to put this. If you're really anal about keeping track of your collection, let's say you have a list of all your movies in the order in which you get them. And let's say that a movie you got a few years ago needs replacing. Would you keep the same old listing from years ago, or would you create a new listing ?

I would create a new listing.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I keep a spreadsheet
Title, Genre (sometimes Sub-genre, i.e. Astaire Musicals vs. Musicals), Date Acquired, Date Last Watched.

Being in Excel, I can re-sort it on the fly.

I update it when I watch something, or when I purchase something.

I use conditional formatting to highlight unwatched items.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I'm looking for a collection software that can keep track not only of my physical media purchases but my Digital ones as well. Any suggestions?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I use a application called "Eric's Movie Database" or EMDB for short. It's shareware (Windows Vista and higher OS) and can track many different media types, including digital. It supports multiple databases and is integrated with IMDB for pulling movie information. You can pull disc covers from several online sources or a local file. If it's installed to the root of "C" it acts as a portable version that can be copied to a flash drive (or other removable media) to take a copy with you if needed/desired. I've not checked in a while but the last time I looked at the database structure it was essentially a text file and, if proper care and protocol was used, could be edited manually if desired (I've not done this in some time as the author added features that negated the reason I was performing manual edits). It can export the database to html, csv, or text files. It has a very small footprint and has a autoupdate function which can be disabled if desired (you can dl the update file yourself when ready). Get it here: http://www.emdb.eu/

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I use 2 different apps for Android, one called My Movies, and another called My Movies Pro for Android. They are obviously made by different authors, but have the same name. One is linked to BluRay.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks