What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Malice -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Harold Becker's Malice is a film that I've like since I first saw it theatrically in 1993.  It's a complex, occasionally confusing -- I also love The Big Sleep -- but entertaining yarn, with some terrific talent involved.

For anyone with a love of quality cinematography, be aware that it was shot by Gordon Willis, and looks it, but not for obvious reasons.

When the image initially hit my screen, and I saw a Columbia logo, I knew I was in for something special.  Then I recalled that Kino Lorber's release -- which is a quality offering -- was via MGM and not Columbia, as it's a Castle Rock film.

Once my dreams of a Crispy image dissipated, I settled in for normal MGM quality, apparently based upon an IP scan.

Overall, it looks quite nice.  A bit of grain, decent blacks, no problems.

For those who have not seen the film, it's a great way to spend 107 minutes, especially for its current street price on Amazon of $18.

​Be aware that Kino Lorber is concurrently releasing another of Mr. Becker's films, The Onion Field, which will get its own Few Words.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thank you RAH. Looking forward to The Onion Field as well. Great, often forgotten film. Haven't seen it in probably 30 yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks