What's new

Any Fitbit users around here? Chime in! (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Got a Charge for my wife and I about a month ago and I've been doing my best to keep a bit more active than before. :)

So far I'm close to losing 10# since I started keeping track of things (steps, calorie intake/burning) etc. I've been walking the 6 flights of stairs at work at lest 4-6 times a day as I try to walk around the outside of the building at lunch.

So is anyone else on the Fitbit wagon and if so, how has it been working out for you??

Any tips/tricks you've learned along the way?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have one and it has very much helped increase my activity. My personal best thus far has been 24,619 steps in a single day (last week). I have been very good at getting at least 10K though. Will occasionally fall short but am at least trying much harder to be more mobile.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
For some reason I just can't hit the magic 10K steps, maybe with summer here I can since I'll be outside more.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Yeah - it takes some effort. I actually just dedicate more time to walking to hit as close as I can.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I feel naked today. Mistakenly left my fitbit on my nightstand. :(

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Not Fitbit per se, but my employer provides financial incentive for getting to certain "step" levels over the year - so I'm always attached to the pedometer they give us ($100 1st level, +$200 2nd lvl, +$300 3rd lvl). I used to walk anyway, but I'd say the program gets me out more, even when I'd rather slug around. So the pedometer works great for me, I'd say I walk about 30% more now. Only lost a few pounds, but my blood pressure came down -20/-15 with no other lifestyle change. (I also listen to music on my walks, so the daily tunes may have contributed to the lowered BP.)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I have a Jawbone pedometer which gets me a discount on next year's health insurance. It is the best motivation to exercise that I've ever had. I basically need 10,000 steps a day five days a week to earn my discount but I've been going far above that. Last week I averaged 17,000 steps over a seven day period.

Recently I was walking down a flight of steps and this pain just shot through my ankle. That was a friendly reminder from my body that I'm old and fat and need to cut back a bit. So this week I cut my pace down by several thousand steps a day.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Had a Fitbit Charge for awhile but traded it in on a New Balance device that works very well. I'm averaging 18,000 steps a day between 2 hours in the gym most days and walking a 3 mile trail at night.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Daily goal is 11,500...I was doing REALLY well with that until I met my boyfriend in April. Now I'm reaching about 10k a day, which is still really good, but not near my actual goal. I thought with the summer here I'd be outside more. I AM outside more, but I'm grilling and that kind of stuff instead of being super active.

I have a FitBit Charge (second FitBit actually) and love it. The battery charge lasts at least a week, a clock is built into the device and it looks good.

It's not even 7:30 am my time yet and I'm already at 2200 steps for the day.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm averaging 18,000 steps a day ...

David, 18k a day is awesome! I get one of those about once a month.

My goal is 12k, but I'm usually around 10k.

I was doing REALLY well with that until I met my boyfriend in April.

Jason, I think the key for the new relationship step drop-off is to wear the FitBit ALL the time ...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Al.Anderson said:
Jason, I think the key for the new relationship step drop-off is to wear the FitBit ALL the time ...

Oh, it's on from the minute I get up in the AM to the minute we go to sleep. It's like permanently attached to my arm. I just need to figure out a way to actually get going again. 10k steps isn't terrible...it was my goal at one time. I just want to do more. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I picked up a FitBit Alta yesterday and am looking forward to integrating it into my daily life. I'm currently getting my oil changed then will be hitting the track to walk a few miles. I've already synced up with my iPhone (via a 3rd party app) so HealthKit is sucking in all my data from the FitBit app.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We ditched our Fitbits and have now gone to using our Android smartwatches for doing any tracking we feel we need. My wife's Fitbit Charge basically disintegrated in less than a year (booo) so I got her the Alta for Mother's Day and we both determined it had the WORST band clasp ever made. You literally had to press SO hard to get just one of the rivets into the button holes it was too painful to do on a daily basis Whoever dreamed up that band clasp apparently didn't actually try to use it daily. Far worse than the clasp that the Charge had. Reading online reviews we found a lot of folks hate it as well. She requested that I return it and we ended up getting her a smartwatch for less money with way more useful features so it worked out.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We ditched our Fitbits and have now gone to using our Android smartwatches for doing any tracking we feel we need. My wife's Fitbit Charge basically disintegrated in less than a year (booo) so I got her the Alta for Mother's Day and we both determined it had the WORST band clasp ever made. You literally had to press SO hard to get just one of the rivets into the button holes it was too painful to do on a daily basis Whoever dreamed up that band clasp apparently didn't actually try to use it daily. Far worse than the clasp that the Charge had. Reading online reviews we found a lot of folks hate it as well. She requested that I return it and we ended up getting her a smartwatch for less money with way more useful features so it worked out.

The Charge is a nice design, but it doesn't practically work. Besides the clasps, the entire band came unglued from the tracker piece over the course of a year. Battery life was fantastic, though.

I got a Blaze for my birthday in March. It's been really cool so far with the exception of battery life. It tends to need a charge (no pun intended) every four days, roughly speaking.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Interesting. I found the rivet clasp very easy to close one-handed. I have the band just loose enough to fit my index finger under it so I'm not pressing against my wrist. With my finger out from under the band, the Alta is snug (not tight) against my wrist and it stays in place and doesn't move at all. The Alta is so lightweight, I don't even notice I'm wearing it.

When I got to the track this morning, I set my stride distance and walked 3 miles. The rest of my day has been stopping at the grocery store and doing housework. So far I have walked over 11,000 steps today totaling 5.8 miles. I'm loving this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks