What's new

New Line Petition for Fellowship of the Ring Director's Cut DVD (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I found this link over at the New Line sponsored Lord of the Rings Fan Club and it's been taken up by TheOneRing.Net, the largest and most active Tolkien web site.
If all you know of "The Fellowship of the Ring" is what you saw in the theater then you might have guessed that a lot of material was cut from the film. You'd be right. There is much more to the story than was included in the film. Tolkien fans have largely understood the necessity of this given the practicalities of the marketing and showing films these days. We do know that there is a lot of material that Peter Jackson wanted to include but was unable to because of the time constraints imposed upon him by New Line and the reality of movie marketing. No one is accusing or criticizing that decision in this petition. The petition is simply a request for things that die-hard Tolkien fans would like to see in a director's cut version. Perhaps with it we can let New Line know in a friendly way that a market for a very extended version does exist.
I did not write this petition nor am I officially involved with it but I know a lot of Tolkien fans, new and old, would love to have Peter Jackson's full vision. If you found the movie oddly-edited or too rushed in places then this will be the version for you. It appears a lot of the excluded material helps flesh-out the characters and their relationships while including some important plot points.
Fellowship of the Ring Directors Cut Dvd
Thank you for your consideration. I hope this was the right forum for this.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'll sign that petition! I'm fairly confident that we can expect this from New Line anyways but it can't hurt.

Seb

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
This is probably a stupid question but...

I wonder if this director's cut will include more gore knowing Peter Jackson's other films.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they should call it a Director's Cut unless Jackson feels he got screwed, which doesn't seem to be the case. 'Special Edition' seems more logical.

Anybody else think that the 'DC' terminology is getting abused?

Anyhow, yeah, I'd love to buy a longer version.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see a longer cut, but can you really fit a 3 1/2 hour movie, GOOD DD and DTS tracks, AND two commentary tracks on one dual layered disc?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
We did get the director's cut with the theatrical version. It’s better to ask for a special edition or an expanded version and frankly I don’t see why we need a petition for this. Fortunately people responsible for this movie are very DVD friendly and have always said that. Jackson has enough power now to include a longer cut if he wants and we will get it if he thinks that it works. No need for petition. There is no evil studio blocking Jackson’s vision here. The last time he said that he is very satisfied with the current theatrical cut and he no longer has to add scenes to the movie for a longer cut!

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Please, nobody is accusing New Line of blocking PJ or skimping or anything. I, and many others, think we got the best 3 hour movie we could have gotten. Certainly the great respect and love shown toward the material by not only PJ but New Line and all the actors and crew is extraordinary and to be complimented. I think the term 'director's cut' is being used to mean a version put together by the director without the time constraints necessitated by a first theatrical run. I too know that New Line is one of the most DVD-friendly studios out there and I'm excited by any FOTR release because I know they will do a good job.

The purpose of the petition is to let New Line know that there are a lot of die-hard fans who would be thrilled with 4 or even a 5 hour version possibly spread across 2 disks.

We think New Line will release the August FOTR DVD at 3:15 or 3:22 to expand the Lorien scenes and that would be great but I would happily buy a kitchen sink version of this and the other two films to come. This petition reflects that.

I have nothing against New Line and knew when I heard tell of the project that New Line would be the studio to do it. They haven't disappointed me and indeed, have exceeded my expectations.

Many thanks again!

Jason

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My wife signed in at #2113.

Jackson has enough power now to include a longer cut if he wants and we will get it if he thinks that it works.
Yep, especially after winning that AFI award last night! That will lead to Golden Globes and Oscars, in all likelihood. Way to go, LotR!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Isn't there a chance that since Peter Jackson stated himself there would be no Directors Cut being released, that perhaps the film out there is the directors cut now?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll sign in with the caveat that the version we saw in the theaters is made available as well. I have the upmost faith in the studio and the director to do the format VERY proud. I am willing to wait until 2004 for the SE anyways. Great stuff all around;) I do NOT want every deleted scene restored. I just want PJ to add what he feels best serves the story. I do want to see all of the scenes, but some can remain deleted IMO.
Take care,
Chuck

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
In the January 4th issue of Entertainment Weekly (the one with Russell Crowe on the cover) they have an article entitled "Shire Learning: A hobbit-forming A-to-Z guide to The Lord of the Rings" by Gillian Flynn on page 10. Under the entry for 'Jackson, Peter' it reads:
- Kiwi Director who shepherded the $300 million trilogy. Though The Fellowship of the Ring clocks in at nearly three hours, he promises an extra 30 to 35 minutes on the DVD. "We edited in a Frodo-centric way," Jackson says. "But there's a scene I love with the hobbits in a pub in the Shire, singing and talking, before things go wrong..."

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I've heard that Jackson agreed to deliver a PG-13 theatrical cut, as long as he could restore some of the more graphic material for the video version, thus making it R-rated.

Also, New Line producer Barrie Osborne said in an interview the video will be a longer cut, and there is a possibility someday of releasing all three films in a box set as one nine-hour film. The Digital Bits also reports rumors of a two-disc, possibly even three-disc DVD release of FOTR, with audio commentary, cut scenes, extensive behind-the-scenes material, and a preview of The Two Towers.

I hope they include they include Elijah Wood's audition tape (he went into the Hollywood Hills and had a friend shoot scenes of him as Frodo, which they then edited and sent to Jackson) as well as a separate music track for Howard Shore's score.

Ali B

Second Unit
I'd actually like a shorter cut of this film to make it flow better - at the moment we seem to have a compromise between the Tolkien fanatics and general movie audiences. Key scenes to be removed - the battle with the Ogre thing, the whole end bit after they land the boat.

I am trying not to troll with this, but I think this is one film that in DVD form could do with a shorter cut.

ali

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
lose the end of the movie after they land the boat?? how could you possibly cut that from the movie? i don't want to say what happens in that part of the film, but MAJOR changes happen to the storyline during that 20 minutes or so.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Seeing as it's likely to be in the 3 1/2 hour region now, I would certainly like to see it spread over two discs (maybe "Book One" and "Book Two" - just like the novels!) to make sure the picture and sound quality is EXCELLENT.
The picture will only be average if they are forced to fit it all onto one disc, there's no debate about that at least.
I'd prefer a little "exercise" whilst watching the movie to get an EXCELLENT transfer as opposed to an AVERAGE one.
~ John

Users who are viewing this thread