What's new

Using an Insignia NS-HDRAD as a home HD radio tuner (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Since nobody makes home HD radio tuners to plug into your stereo anymore.....
mad.gif

The tuner chips are really cheap now. The $51 BB Insignia NS-HDRAD gets good reviews here, but I have NO interest in using it as a tabletop or portable radio.

I want to HACK it to use as a tuner for my hi-fi system. Apparently there's an external FM antenna port on the NS-HDRAD that disconnects the rabbit ear when used. There's also a headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when in use.

The headphone jack specs are for headphones 16 - 32 ohms. Could I build a kludge patch cable with maybe 32 ohm termination resistors to a long RCA cable for plugging into my high quality Yamaha receiver?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well this was a bust. I picked one up at BB but found it couldn't receive ANY HD stations at my house. My house is only about a dozen miles from the transmitters and they are up on a hill. Nothing to give multipath or anything.

I tried downstairs with the rabbit ear, then I tried upstairs with the rabbit ear, then I tried the accessory long wire antenna, then finally made a patch cable to connect to my large rooftop antenna. No dice. The HD indicator lamp would "flash" during scans but there was never enough signal received to lock onto an HD station (just regular analog FM).

So I took it back to BB and got a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks