What's new

Google Photos (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't seen my usual photo and tech sources comment much about Google Photos, other than the announcement of being peeled off from Google Plus.

So far I've been rather unimpressed with it, as it seems to lack functionality one would assume would carry over from the Google Plus user interface (UI). For example, why is there no way to share or generate a link for my entire set of albums or simply my photostream (to borrow Flickr's term)?

Sharing a photo or album to Facebook also is half-baked, with the preview image defaulting to my user avatar and a generic title for the account, not the photo name or album name.

Sharing to friends or family is limited too, with the sole option being to generate a link, which you then must send via email, on your own. With Google Plus, you could share quite easily to any email address you type in manually or culled from your contacts.

It's also annoying that within Google Photos, Google Plus's default, date-based albums aren't recognized, so a lot of photos once collected by date are just hanging out there loose, requiring you to create a new album and add photos to it in order to share the images.

For now it seems the Google Plus route to the images is still intact, so I will be sticking with that UI until things improve.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm a luddite, and don't trust Google much, I opted to stay away from Google Plus (though I did start an account there, but just got bored with it), and didn't see the benefit in checking out Google Photos, so I'm not surprised to see them still in data-harvesting mode with each new online "service" they roll out. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm ready to trust Google with my personal photos. I am an Android phone owner, so I am a Google user in other aspects, but as a serious amateur photographer I just don't trust them with personal photos. I already have an online place to store my photos at Smugmug, and have been happy with that service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks